• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso Suspension Settings For Fat Geeza's

double.d

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I finally got sick of my suspension assaulting my spine so on the weekend i paid someone to set it all up for me, and the change is :woohoo: .
The settings were done based on 110kg.

All settings are from fully wound in, hardest settings.
Front.
Sag 33mm
Comp 2 turns
Rebound 3/4 turn
Tyre Pressure 33lb

Rear
Sag 32mm
Comp 3 Turns
Rebound 15 clicks. When 2 up, 11 clicks
Tyre Pressure 36lb

This guy is an ex racer who now runs Q-ride diding school. He really explained in simple terms how it all works and how much the tyres play a part in the whole process. By looking at my back tyre he was able to tell how i rode, which is hard into a corner, backing off a little and then hard out. So i am tearing up the edges. And he was right :blush: .

I have always run my pressures at 38-40 psi so when i went for a test after he made some adjustments and i could really feel the pressures were to high. He then set the pressures as above once the tyres had cooled off and i went for another test. When i got back he checked them again and the pressures had gone back up to where they had been.

So it turns out i have basically been cooking the tyres, therefore reducing the life and the handling capabilities.
I also had mismatched tyres, a 55 profile front and a 60 rear at 170 wide. This means that when the rear is at it's edge the front still has some way to go. I am changing the rear to a 180/55.

So on the 80klm ride home i was able to make some findings.
1. No more spine assaulting. Nice and smooth with plenty of feel.
2. Heavier steering, but very stable through the corners.
3. No more scary diving when front braking.
4. The whole package is easier to ride which means i can probably ride quicker.

So, if you're about my weight give these settings a go, i'm sure they will work for you.
Now i can't wait to get my new tyre and go for a blast.

draidt said:
Double D

Any update on this ? still happy with the setup or have you made changes ?

Yes, inquiring minds ... and large bodies :lol: ... want to know.

Bought a maintenance stand for the Griso, and am itching to spend this long winter fiddling with suspension, etc.

Yes, I know, leave well enough alone. If I still lived in Georgia, I would and just ride, but time hangs heavily here on these short days. I spend so much time down in the apartment's garage putzing with the Norge and Griso that I worry someone's going to call the police about "that strange man." :laugh:

Bill

Grisos aren't for large people...
The bikes get stuck in their butt crack!! :lol: :lol:

Looks like i had my figures arse about :silly:

Can't remember how i came to have a 170/60 on the rear :oops:

I have not changed these settings............ well i have played around a little with them, but have gone back to what the tech set and all is still good.

The comp damping was WAY too far turned in on my bike. It made it hammer you at any expansion joint, bump, etc. Turning those out quite a bit and playing with the rebound helped quite a bit.

I also dropped the forks in the clamps to the lowest line and it helped kill the corner wallow.

Look into the manual and start with MG's 'race' settings and go from there.

Pascal said:

I'm amazed how fat my Guzzi is. Everytime I jump on my 1200 Bandit it feels like jumping on a bicycle.

schimenator said:
Pascal said:

I'm amazed how fat my Guzzi is. Everytime I jump on my 1200 Bandit it feels like jumping on a bicycle.

I have a funny picture somewhere with a friend of mine (the guy's huge) on my bike...
I'll see if I can find it for you.
It illustrates perfectly what I was saying. :D

Pascal said:
schimenator said:
Pascal said:

I have a funny picture somewhere with a friend of mine (the guy's huge) on my bike...
I'll see if I can find it for you.
It illustrates perfectly what I was saying. :D

I am worried about where this is going. :eek:hmy:

Note to self: Check to see if any Sicilian friends live near Orlando. ;)

Bill

double.d said:
Front.
Sag 33mm
Comp 2 turns
Rebound 3/4 turn
Tyre Pressure 33lb

Rear
Sag 32mm
Comp 3 Turns
Tyre Pressure 36lb

Just wanted to say thanks to Double D for sharing his suspension settings for Fat Geeza's! I used these shock settings with the exception of using 14 clicks for the rear rebound since I'm about 30 lbs. heavier (a Fatter Geeza) and that was the only shock setting change that was noted as changing for 2-up (i.e. higher weight). I also used the tire pressures as recommended above. The bike handled great and I was saved the spine jolts over the bumps.

Next step will be adjusting the preload once I get the proper wrenches.

Dave

Too funny doubled :happy:

As the new owner of your old bike, I too, weigh in around the 110kg mark.
The owners manual has all this stuff marked, is that right way round or upside down?
:h: the bike, every ride is better as I accustom myself to its seductions and delights.
Better than a mistress :D

UPDATE 23/9/14, 2.50pm Aussie time : a 200k ride today in beautiful weather.
Suspension is great, perhaps a little soft at the rear (like me), which I liken to a warning when it bottoms out. The ride is nearly plush, for a Guzzi.

Map from Todd works a treat, a huge improvement on the old one.
The smoothness and lack of bad manners is exceptional, maybe a tad thirsty at 5.6l/100ks.
What a pleasure to ride.

Last edited:
Was this suspension nirvana achieved utilising the stock rear spring? My preload on my 2015 Griso is cranked all of the way down and it's still not enough. I found that the stock spring is for a 140lb rider. I'm 220 with my gear on! Any suggestions on spring changes?

Any suggestions on spring changes?
I should have the stock spring specs on the site, try a search. But, based on my experience with the stock suspension, don't waste your time and money.

Ha! I test ride a Monster 750. Was giggling at how tiny it felt. My Griso felt like a massive barge after that spirited wheelie producing hop.

As a side note and I can't remember, is "fully in" all the way counter clockwise to a hard stop?

Too funny doubled :happy:

As the new owner of your old bike, I too, weigh in around the 110kg mark.
The owners manual has all this stuff marked, is that right way round or upside down?
:h: the bike, every ride is better as I accustom myself to its seductions and delights.
Better than a mistress :D

UPDATE 23/9/14, 2.50pm Aussie time : a 200k ride today in beautiful weather.
Suspension is great, perhaps a little soft at the rear (like me), which I liken to a warning when it bottoms out. The ride is nearly plush, for a Guzzi.

Map from Todd works a treat, a huge improvement on the old one.
The smoothness and lack of bad manners is exceptional, maybe a tad thirsty at 5.6l/100ks.
What a pleasure to ride.

I'd be thrilled to get fuel consumption for my 2014 Griso into the mid 5s. Mid to high 6s is my average, and I'm not a hard rider either. Mine is stock aside from Termi pipe (db killer in).

Brent.

I finally got sick of my suspension assaulting my spine so on the weekend i paid someone to set it all up for me, and the change is :woohoo: .
The settings were done based on 110kg.

Front.
Sag 33mm
Comp 2 turns
Rebound 3/4 turn
Tyre Pressure 33lb

Rear
Sag 32mm
Comp 3 Turns
Tyre Pressure 36lb

This guy is an ex racer who now runs Q-ride diding school. He really explained in simple terms how it all works and how much the tyres play a part in the whole process. By looking at my back tyre he was able to tell how i rode, which is hard into a corner, backing off a little and then hard out. So i am tearing up the edges. And he was right :blush: .

I have always run my pressures at 38-40 psi so when i went for a test after he made some adjustments and i could really feel the pressures were to high. He then set the pressures as above once the tyres had cooled off and i went for another test. When i got back he checked them again and the pressures had gone back up to where they had been.

So it turns out i have basically been cooking the tyres, therefore reducing the life and the handling capabilities.
I also had mismatched tyres, a 55 profile front and a 60 rear at 170 wide. This means that when the rear is at it's edge the front still has some way to go. I am changing the rear to a 180/55.

So on the 80klm ride home i was able to make some findings.
1. No more spine assaulting. Nice and smooth with plenty of feel.
2. Heavier steering, but very stable through the corners.
3. No more scary diving when front braking.
4. The whole package is easier to ride which means i can probably ride quicker.

So, if you're about my weight give these settings a go, i'm sure they will work for you.
Now i can't wait to get my new tyre and go for a blast.

Thanks for posting these settings. I am 95kg but carrying touring luggage so used these settings and the bike rides lovely.

Thanks again.

I’m looking for hints on how to measure sag by myself. Do I pull bike over on side stand then measure? I’m talking about rear end here. I’m about 120kg, also fat geezer. Got a Wilber’s on order but just want some comfort til it get here.
thanks

Back