• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso Suspension settings thread!

As to your second question, it is a matter of taste but I typically try for similar sag front and rear.
To the first question, I usually use a jack to control the dropping of the front end. Without something to control it there is a tendency for it to drop much too far when you loosen those bolts. If you don't have a jack or a means to control the dropping, you can loosen one side at a time, You might have to do each side more than once, going back and forth because you might not be able to slide it all the way in one move if you do each side separately. That depends on how far you are moving it.
It is important to properly torque the triple clamp bolts around the fork tubes, especially the lower clamp. I don't remember what the specs are for the Griso, but for USD forks it is usually around 20 ft/lbs.
I have a jack and straps to support the bike. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Thanks for the feedback.

As to your second question, it is a matter of taste but I typically try for similar sag front and rear.
To the first question, I usually use a jack to control the dropping of the front end. Without something to control it there is a tendency for it to drop much too far when you loosen those bolts. If you don't have a jack or a means to control the dropping, you can loosen one side at a time, You might have to do each side more than once, going back and forth because you might not be able to slide it all the way in one move if you do each side separately. That depends on how far you are moving it.
It is important to properly torque the triple clamp bolts around the fork tubes, especially the lower clamp. I don't remember what the specs are for the Griso, but for USD forks it is usually around 20 ft/lbs.
I set my front preload today and came up with 34 mm of sag. In doing so, I noticed that I only have 2 rings of protrusion after achieving this. Based on other owners who are near my weight (220 pounds) it seems like everyone else has 4 rings showing. Is it possible that I did something wrong? I haven’t road tested it yet due to crap weather. To be clear...I’m talking about the preload rings. I haven’t messed with the triple tree yet.

The travel of the adjuster is a near one to one ratio with regard to sag in the front. If you move the adjuster a given amount down it results in the same amount of reduction in sag. It sounds to me like you either A) weigh more than the others, or B) are running a little less sag than the others. If you are happy with the way your bike handles, that is all I would be concerned with. Personally I like less sag. It means the bike rides higher and has better ground clearance.
I would have to look to see what mine is set to. I found I needed more preload in the rear than in the front. But I don't remember how much I added to the front. I weigh a little less than you as well.

Bumping this old thread as it's the one my searches keep bringing up.

I'm setting up my 2006 Griso 1100 and in the (online USA spec) manual it says (page 69/70) that Standard front fork setting is 4 Hub Sprongs (I presume rings) above the clamp.

Yet my bike and every Griso I've seen in Google images has 2

Am I missing something or was every bike sent out of the factory wrong ?

Am I missing something or was every bike sent out of the factory wrong ?
There’s no right or wrong. There is well covered fact here that the spring rate and valving are a joke. Setting the bike up isn’t a simple matter of twisting knobs. You have to set sag based on your weight, and balance the damping front to rear. It has proven best to replace the shock and re-spring/valve for best results, especially due to the age of the bike if it’s never been touched. Also best to have someone knowledgeable for the adjusting, and/or I have a handful of replacement options on the Store link above. I also offer a “magic carpet ride” fork re-work for ~$550 using your forks if you send them to my shop. Email is best for more answers/help; Info at GuzziTech.com

There is the "factory setting" of 4 rings yet it seems that they were actually set to 2 rings - the vast majority of pics I see and even the manual shows the same, just seemed weird. I set to 5.

I set the sag first then I've been twisting knobs - it's made a significant difference.

I'm not trying to set a lap record just get the best compromise

Hello. I have a 2007 Griso.. Its amazing. Im rebuilding the front forks. This is the first time I've done this. In my service manual I see that there is only one of those metal sleeves that the spring sits on. I think it is called a preload? My book and bike are at a friend's shop. Anyway when I took the forks apart there are two of those tubes. Why is this? Was someone making the suspension stiffer? I'm a heavy guy. Around 265 lbs. Should I leave them or take them out. The last person to put them in there didnt do it right. One of the tubes had my spring jammed in it the other had a washer so the spring wouldnt do that. If I should leave them in there what is the proper way to do this? I feel that having the suspension stock would be better. This is my first street bike. I want to be safe and have fun. I'm not an experienced rider. What should I do? Thanks for this forum, and for your time and advice.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.
I added the GTM shock and the “magic carpet ride” GTM fork service.
my local shop has the bike back together.
Shop is recommending 25mm sag in front and 30mm in rear. Reading through this thread it seems that Griso owners run over 30mm of sag on both ends?
I weigh 225 fully geared up. My bike has 2 rings showing on the fork, should I adjust that?
Does anyone have a base clicker setting with the GTM shock and MCR forks?

I know it will be a trial and error thing, I’m hoping to start as close to “correct” as possible.

thanks for any input,

If you bought those items from Todd, you should be able to send a message through the information contained in the CONTACT tab.

He would be your best and most accurate source.

I was following the directions on the contact us page. Both the shock and the fork service purchased from GTM. My local shop did the R&R for me. The local shop suggested 25mm front and 30 mm rear sag.
Looking at this thread, I see most folks recommending 30-33 front and rear.
I am also asking for a recommendation for starting point on the “clickers” and how where to adjust the fork height ( How many “rings showing”? I have 2 showing now.
Thanks,

View attachment 28046
I was following the directions on the contact us page. Both the shock and the fork service purchased from GTM. My local shop did the R&R for me. The local shop suggested 25mm front and 30 mm rear sag.
Looking at this thread, I see most folks recommending 30-33 front and rear.
I am also asking for a recommendation for starting point on the “clickers” and how where to adjust the fork height ( How many “rings showing”? I have 2 showing now.
Thanks,

First sentence there…

You have a PRODUCT question regarding a PRODUCT you PURCHASED.

Thank you for the clarification.
I‘m hoping someone can chime in with some actual recommendations for starting suspension settings when using the GTM shock and “Magic Carpet Ride” fork service from GTM.
Specifically, front and rear sag and initial clicker settings.
thanks

Thanks Scott. Appreciated Ron, but always happy to answer basic questions via email related to products purchased here. The highlighted line above is because we field dozens of emails daily on people asking random advice on problems with their bikes. We cannot do that via email of course, else we'd never get anything done. Below has been added to the first thread here as well, and sent to you via email as well... so double the work. ;)

Sag:
Front wheel travel: 120 mm (4.7 inches)
Rear wheel travel: 110 mm (4.3 inches)

Target laden (you seated on the bike) sag:
Front: 36~39.6 mm (1.41~1.55 inches) Firmer to more plush
Rear: 33~36.3 mm (1.3~1.42 inches) Firmer to more plush

Thanks for this reply and the detailed email. This will give me a good start to getting my new suspension sorted.
Looking forward to the first test rides. ( If the New England weather will cooperate)

Ok finally got some warm weather up here in New England.
GTM rear shock and “magic carpet ride” fork service. Got a few rides in on familiar roads.
The bike is so much easier to ride fast. Absolutely like a different bike. Todd respected my budget and suggested the parts/service within that budget.
Best money you can spend - bike turns in naturally and easily, holds a line through a corner. Transitions easier- it’s like the bike got 100 pounds lighter. Also much smoother ride over bumps ( all roads in NE have bumps, frost heaves etc) even when leaned over, new suspension takes the bumps and stays on the line.
For less than the price of an Ohlins rear shock, GTM modified both ends of my suspension and the results are great.

Well done Todd and the GTM team!

Back