• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso Suspension settings thread!

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Merged thread started with the post below...

New Griso owner here. Last week I bought a brand new '07 from Moto International; trading in my '04 Stone. Thanks to Todd, I was able to get my Stone suspension set up pretty well by installing YSS shocks and adjusting sag, front and back. I have no experience with rebound or compression adjustments on the front since Preload was all that was adjustable (using spacers). I was able to dial in rebound damping in the rear with the YSS shocks.

dgreenwood continued with... I've read the suspension topics here and learned that the stock settings are likely pretty bad and that the first step is sag. My problem is that I want to ride this weekend and won't have the ability to adjust for proper sag before that (I don't have anyone to help or the ability to lift the wheels off the ground for measurement). I definitely plan to do this right when I have time, I'm just trying to figure out if there is anything I can do to make this weekend more enjoyable without going through the full and proper measurements.

I found some rebound and compression settings on this site. Is it advisable for me to adjust to these without doing sag first, with the understanding that I'll start over from scratch and do it right eventually? Or am I better off riding stock until I have the ability to do it right?

Front wheel travel: 120 mm (4.7 inches)
Rear wheel travel: 110 mm (4.3 inches)

Target laden (you seated on the bike) sag:
Front: 36~39.6 mm (1.41~1.55 inches)
Rear: 33~36.3 mm (1.3~1.42 inches)

My stats:
I'm about 200lbs fully geared
I've adjusted my tire pressure from 33/36 to 36/40 after reading that the service manual recommendations are likely low.

These are the settings I found here and am contemplating using before I leave this weekend:
Front
compression: 1/4 T (stock: 1 T)
rebound: 2 1/4 T (stock: 1.5 T)
preload: 5th mark (stock: 4th)

Rear
compression: 1/4 T (stock: 1.5 T)
rebound: 40 clicks (stock: 17)

Any thoughts you can offer that may improve my weekend would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Clarified that I have experience with adjusting rebound damping in the back but not front.

MY STANDARD SETTINGS:
Front:
hight: 4 stripes above top plate (without orange cup).
sag: ?? mm (springtension, preload 4 -5 rings)
compression: 1 turn
rebound: 1.5 turn

Rear:
sag: ?? mm, spring lenght 161 mm
compression: 1.5 turn
rebound: 17 clicks

My settings, on recommendations by Mile Pajic, a very experienced motorbikeracer (from 125cc till endurance).
Standard components.

Front:
hight: 4 stripes above top plate (without orange cup).
sag: 35 mm (springtension, preload 5.5 ring)
compression: 1 turn
rebound: 1.25 turn

Rear:
sag: 37 mm
compression: 0.25 turn
rebound: 42 clicks

my weight is 72 kg (158.7 lb)
Most of time solo use

Ad B

Which screw is the compression screw and which the rebound on the front forks and which on the rear shock ?
never really known for sure ?

hugzy
Have a look in the owners hand book it is clearly outlined there including pictures.
If you haven't got one download one on the Downloads tab above.

Here's my current settings:

Front:
  • Protusion: 6 rings;
    Preload: 4 rings;
    Compression: 1.5 turns out;
    Rebound: 0 turns out.
Rear:
  • Preload +4.5 turns from stock;
    Compression: 2.5 turns out;
    Rebound: 17 click out.
My Weight: 100Kg (220lb).
Solo use.

Regards,
David

Marzocchi RAC USD 43dia -Use and Maintenance Instruction Manual

(compressed with 7-zip)

Section 5 has the adjustment instructions.

Adjusted my compression and rebound to the 110kg person settings - Double.D. Was surprised how easy it was - should have done it a while ago. Most noticeable was how much it smoothed out the ride - well worth it. Will have a go at sag this weekend when I can find a few more hands.

The rear shock is a Boge/Sachs unit (??) but in a quick search, did not find the user manual, anyone else have any better google skills? Looks to come from Sachs Automotive Italia S.p.A. but did not find the right model.

Attachments

• Griso_Marzocchi_RAC_USD43dia2010.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,027
Mark111 said:
hugzy
Have a look in the owners hand book it is clearly outlined there including pictures.

Hi Mark, My owners manual only shows the rear shock and it tells you how the front fork comp' and rebound should be set but not which screw is what but I'll download the manual on here and have a look. Cheers.

hugzy said:
Mark111 said:
hugzy

Hi Mark, My owners manual only shows the rear shock and it tells you how the front fork comp' and rebound should be set but not which screw is what but I'll download the manual on here and have a look. Cheers.

These pictures are from the manual that I have and the setup is clearly explained.

The forum download is the Great Britain manual, My manual is the USA- Canadian version.

Just click on the pictures for a larger size

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 2,802
  • front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 2,774
  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 2,773
  • front3.jpg
    front3.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 2,777
  • front4.jpg
    front4.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 2,787
  • front5.jpg
    front5.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 2,778
  • front6.jpg
    front6.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 2,749
Thanks for that Dan, the manual I have doesn't explaing the adjusters as well as this one. I'll have another go ! Cheers.

Had my 8V SE suspension tuned week and picked it up tonight. I am right around 100kg so assumed 105kg with gear. Previously I had Double.D's settings which was a great improvement on stock but this is much better again. The issue with those settings for me was that the rebound from compression was very slow (push down on the rear or front and release and it rose very slowly). The suspension front and rear was compressing on the first bump and then not rebounding fast so was staying compressed through subsequent bumps. The front was a little soft. I run 36psi front and 42 psi rear on the Pirelli Scorpion Sync (stock SE pressures).

Front forks: I expected to be getting stiffer springs but he said they tested at 1 kg/mm stiffness and were fine for me (I could have changed to 5% stiffer springs but was not worth it). In terms of tuning, the components of the standard fork were good quality except he replaced the compression valve stack and the rebound shims. The new compression valve is on the left and the stock one on the right. Essentially the orifices and the profile of the stock valve do not restrict oil flow past the shims enough and it is restricted a lot more now - I guess that stiffens it up. He used Bel-Ray High Performance 5W fork oil.

Rear Shock: The rear spring tested at 9.5kg/mm and he replaced it with a 11.7kg/mm spring. The internal components were fine except he changed the shim sets.

Settings: He gave me 4 setting profiles: Base, Softy, Sporty and Track Day. Preload is at 7 rings. Sag front and rear is 30mm for the first three profiles and 25-28mm for the Track Day profile.

I asked if they related to the stock setup and he said they did not because of the different valve/shims, rear spring and oil so probably not worth listing.

I had about 40km home on the Base setting, definitely a great improvement in handling, I tried to hit every pothole and it handled them a lot better and it corners very, very well keeping a great line.

Attachments

• IMG-20120706-00032.jpg
    IMG-20120706-00032.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 2,011
Hi, I'm a new guy here. Just found this forum. I have a 2007 Griso and I have lowered the rear suspension about an inch by adjusting the spring. Is there anyway I can also lower the front about an inch? I am mainly a city/urban rider and just cruise a bit. I do not push the bike hard at all. I have only 2,000 miles on the bike from new.
Thanks

typhoon said:
Hi, I'm a new guy here. Just found this forum. I have a 2007 Griso and I have lowered the rear suspension about an inch by adjusting the spring. Is there anyway I can also lower the front about an inch? I am mainly a city/urban rider and just cruise a bit. I do not push the bike hard at all. I have only 2,000 miles on the bike from new.
Thanks

Lower the fork tubes in the triple tree

Hey, thanks! I have been looking at the fork for 4 years and never figured that out! Maybe now I can sit on the bike with my feet flat on the ground.

After a bit of fiddling with the Griso's suspension settings, this is what I'm currently running, which works well for me.
I ride solo each week day on a combination of reasonably well paved highway and some pretty choppy secondary roads - mid corner ripples, bumps,debris,potholes etc. On weekends I ride 2 up touring mostly on a variety of secondary roads, some great, others shocking. These settings let me corner reasonably smoothly while allowing the passenger some degree of comfort ie not bucking her off.

Front:
height: 3 stripes above top plate (without orange cup).
sag: 37 mm (spring tension, pre-load 5.0 ring)
compression: 1.5 turn
rebound: 2.25 turn

Rear:
sag: 33 mm
compression: 3.0 turn
rebound: 30 clicks

my weight is 78 kg (172 lb), 2 up 140kg
Solo weekdays, 2 up weekends.
Not so firm but more forgiving.

Had a quick play with the rear end and found a good improvement straight away. I bumped up the preload a bit (cos I'm a fat kid) and backed off the rebound about half a turn, and now it feels just as firm but far less harsh without a kick up the ass over bumps. I'm tempted just to stop there, but I'll have a play with the front end at some point to see if there are any further improvements to be had. Normally I'm tinkering with the suspension on my bikes all the time, but I seem to have hit a sweet spot straight away with the Griso. :cheer:

I'd love to hear some settings on "Fat Kid" bikes.

I'm at 230lbs. No real complaints about the stock settings, but I'm always looking to improve! :D

I guess I'm the same sort of weight as you Birch, but I still had to soften up the Griso to get it to do what I wanted. Heavier folks need less rebound damping, so I backed my rear rebound damping off quite a lot, and softened up the compression damping a couple of clicks I think. Made the bike wallow a tiny bit more than standard but it was much nicer over ruts and potholes. At the front I just backed off the rebound and preload slightly.

Back