Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GT 02 Optimizer - UPDATE: 6.7.13

Discussion in 'GT-Rx® Fueling' started by GT-Rx®, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Corn Oil Kid

Corn Oil Kid Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Re: New to Market - 02 Optimizer

Thanks for setting me straight Todd. Took all of ten minutes to install, just had to pop the cover on mine.

Took it out, and bike ran very strong, no idiot lights or any sign anything was not working perfectly.

The outside temps were only in the uppers 40s F, and such the bike doesn't really pop on decl until the temps are closer to 60. So I can't yet attest to how well it works for it's intended purpose yet.

However, with the new Optimizer the bike decled perfectly lineraly, without even a warrble, so my guess is it's going to do the job when it gets warmer too. It's probably my imagination, but it felt like it had more steam!

Thanks again Todd.

2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

My pleasure... and it's not your imagination. With the fueling being in the critically lean area below 40% throttle, this device will wake it up (as you're feeling) and let it run much, much cooler (when warmer OAT's will reveal).

3. draidt

draidt GT Reference GT Contributor

With apologizes to Todd this is a long overdue post, but when you have 3 Guzzis and it is cold out even for Florida you tend to use the 2 with the best ergo's for the weather (Norge and Cal Vin) During January I purchased and installed the O2 optimizer on my V7 Classic. Immediate impression that there indeed a seat of the pants difference in lower throttle response and it damn near eliminated all the popping out of the baffled Mistrals.
    Via E-Mail being the inquisitive PITA that I am I asked Todd if I took the 2 screws out of the Optimizer what would I see. Dip switches to adjust the A/F ratios. Todd sent me the positions for 13.2 mixture and 13.4 setting from Todd the unit is set for 13.6. Today I set it for 13.4 and WOW a big difference in throttle response more grunt down low, The 750 liked it around 3800 rpm for a good response without down shifting that has gone down to 3400-3500 rpm and popping has completely gone. Next post will be when a do a 13.2 run. I will check the plugs when the motor has cooled.

This was all done at the Race track, I would not want to do anything illegal now would I ? :mrgreen:

4. drw916

drw916 Just got it firing!

Just got my pipe and 02-opt installed on my 2008 Norge. Very simple installation of both, even for an all thumbs person like me. I started by running the bike with no DB killer but was not happy. The popping on decel was too loud to be acceptable to me. I had hoped the 02-opt would eliminate the popping, but knew deep down that the rest of Todd's kit would be required for a true fix. Since the popping didn't seen worse, only louder, I next tried with the DB killers in. Much better. The bike sounds great, quiet when gentle on the throttle, but a nice sound and volume under heavy acceleration. When I first jumped on it I thought "damn, this feels faster". Maybe just the placebo effect, but I am very pleased. Actual weight savings was 6lbs with the new pipe. Less than I thought, but the stock pipe only weighs a little over 11 lbs. Overall seems like a good modification. Better sound and response, and in theory the bike will run cooler. I give it a thumbs up!

5. GuzziHero

GuzziHero Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Interesting.

Just installed my O2 optimizer and the bike idles cleanly right from a cold start - something it doesnt usually do. Usually it takes 3 or 4 minutes of throttle tickling to idle. The O2 optimizer's green light flashes - I guess this is it making its calculations?

BTW - TYCO plugs make me psycho. What a pain in the butt!

6. krasniewski

krasniewski Just got it firing!

Just wanted to add another improvement to the list... the bike ('10 V7 Cafe) is much more rideable, with lower cruising RPM available and less twitchy throttle response. Cold starts still aren't great, high idle still makes the bike cough, and the bike still has a lot of backfire/idle decel popping(no-baffled Mistrals) - but the bad is somewhat lessened - so I think richer might be worth a try... or I have something else going on... or that's the way she's going to be.

RE: the green LED, mine flashes on startup, and is on solid after warmup... Normal I think?

EDIT: Got a the settings for 13:2 AFR, and the bike starts better, runs better, and backfires less (still some, but the pipes are pretty open, so not a huge deal). This is a very nice bike around town now. Many thanks for the great product out to Todd - great value here.

-M

7. jdgretz

jdgretz Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop

I thought I had posted my impression of the O2 Optimizer here, but apparently not (I have however posted positive reviews other places).

When Todd asked if I would help him test the prototype he didn't know I wouldn't give it back to him - then again, I didn't know that either until I'd had it on the bike for about a week. :D The Optimizer does exactly what I wanted it to do on the Norge, that is, improve the low speed/low throttle opening performance. Throttle response seems smoother and more predictable. It did cost me a bit in fuel economy as it is running richer in the areas where the bike runs the most. I've lost maybe 1MPG on the deal and now hit the low fuel light around 200 miles rather than 210 to 214 (heck, maybe I need new plugs to cure that - I don't know :blush: ).

We pulled the starter to show the connection a little better, although it can actually be done with the starter on the bike.

All in all, I'm very pleased. This will keep me happy until I can do the whole ECU+PC+AT thing.

jdg

Attached Files:

8. GuzziHero

Got chance to ride the Griso today and... well, I am not one to give fawning praise but it makes an INCREDIBLE difference to the low speed throttling.

Almost no drive lash, I can now turn at a junction and put on the throttle with confidence instead of having that awful kick as the engine delays a moment. NO popping at low revs, it now runs just great. It has brought about a low rev confidence that just wasnt there before.

It also seems to help with downshifting, smoothing out the process. I no longer have to give a blip on downshifts, the change is just silky. That may be my imagination, but it certainly feels like a huge improvement.

Thanks Todd!

9. JohninVT

JohninVT Tuned and Synch'ed

It's the best investment I've made to any motorcycle I've ever owned in terms of performance to $. All of the snatchy throttle response at low revs is gone. The driveline lash is gone. The popping on decel is gone. You can chop the throttle in town and the bike doesn't buck and thrash. It's going to make riding in traffic and in the rain about 1,000 times better. I posted a review of the PC-V and O2 Optimizer over on Wildguzzi as well.

If you do nothing else to your Guzzi and all the PC-V/ECU reflash and Autotune talk makes your eyes roll back in your head....buy an Optimizer. Just buy one, install it and then go ride around town or two up in traffic. It's well worth the money.

10. GuzziHero

Yep, after setting up the suspension, this is the MUST DO for any CARC owner.

11. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Just got it firing!

I presently use a PowerCommander IIIusb with a Dynojet 02 controller (Cal Vintage with Mistral H-Pipe, stock silencers, and three one inch holes in the airbox top...I use Todd's map from this site). Low speed performance remains very lean, with a great deal of popping on decelleration. The 02 Optimizer looks a great deal like the Dynojet 02 Controller...is there a difference in these units that would help with this low speed lean-ness?

12. JAS

JAS Tuned and Synch'ed

Anyone added the optimiser to their bike (CARC models) and ridden in hot weather?

I live in Australia and I find the higher the ambient temperature, then the more I have problems with the on / off throttle response at low RPM with my 1200 Sport.

I am running a FatDuc O2 modified now in conjunction with an Agostine pipe (running a Catalytic Convertor and shortened DB killer), with the FatDuc the bike does not seem to run any better than stock and has the added annoyance of randomly setting off error codes on the dash.

I am happy with the performance etc of my bike and I don't care about the popping on the overrun, however the jerky running at low RPM is really starting to affect my enjoyment of the bike.

13. jdgretz

The optimizer hasn't been available long enough to run it through the summer in the Northern Hemisphere, but we have had a few days in the high 80s to low 90s and mine (Norge) has been fine. I don't find any real difference between those days and riding in the 40s. Still the same smooth throttle control and low end response.

jdg

14. JAS

JAS Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi:

I have messaged once and e-mailed once with no reply so far. I would like to know if the O2 optimiser package to international customers, includes insurance.

I am also thinking about the full package (ECU reflash / PC5 / AutoTune) and would like to ask, given it richens up the mixture, can I still run a catalytic convertor?

Thanks,

JAS

15. jdgretz

I'm sure Todd will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the ultra lean condition is only at the lower RPM and throttle ranges. Once the motor gets over a certain RPM, the EPA and EU equivalent no longer get their panties in a twist and the motor is allowed to run in it's preferred air/fuel mixture range. The O2 Optimizer and/or ECU+PC+AT simply bring that preferred a/f mix to where the nanny's don't want it to be. It should have no noticeable effect on the CAT.

jdg

16. GT-Rx®

Thanks John G.

I've replied via email, so check your Spam/Bulk folder, if not send me an e-mail reminder and I'll reply from another e-mail address.

17. argiwhomp

argiwhomp Just got it firing!

Todd, Do you have any of these available now ready for shipping this Monday?

18. GT-Rx®

I do not, sorry. I should have them back in stock end of next week.

19. argiwhomp

argiwhomp Just got it firing!

Okay then, See ya, or at least talk to you when we get back... Have a great week or two!

20. rturo

rturo Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Installed the O2 optimizer on my Breva1100 today. My original connector was behind the starter but not cable tied, a little gentle teasing out using my banana fingers and no vision in a couple of minutes –there was enough loose wiring to the sensor to allow the connector to be pulled above the starter . 30 seconds later its all done. Start the bike and the green light flashes for a minute or so and then goes solid .
    My current bike setup is standard except for K&N and no snorkel.
    My first ride in 23c temp at sea level showed marked improvement in fuelling below 40% throttle where this box of tricks does its thing. Here’s my findings whic mirror some others I've read:-

- First thing – Smoother change into first gear 20 secs after starting the engine

- Much better fuelling – it feels like I’ve gained at least 1500 usable rpm as its now happy pulling smoothly from 2500rpm (tried from 2000 rpm as a test and although its happy in a cruise at these rpms its asking a lot to expect it to pull strongly, but it did proved the fuelling was better

- The wider smooth powerband enabled me to run a gear higher at city speeds and it was much easier to hold a speed, before the Optimizer I found it very sensitive to the throttle , in fact i’d imagined that the fuelling was erratic and needed very slight adjustments to hold a steady (speed camera safe) speed

-Much better transition at 40% throttle (from closed to open loop , or is it the other way ;-))

-Much less weight transfer when closing the throttle

-Smoother clutch less gear changes (an experiment into the fuelling as I’m a clutch user – does that make my old-school?)

-And the most noticeable improvement is how much better it responds and feels going from a closed, or almost closed throttle it opened my eyes to what I’d been living with and it’s so much better slowing then pulling away just on the throttle, making bends and roundabouts flow better.

Having fitted the Optimizer it’s the best money I’ve thrown at the bike, and in all honesty a bargain .. the best way I can describe the difference is that without the Optimizer I now imagine the ECU shut off the fuelling completely and instantly as soon as the throttle started to close beyond a certain point, causing a big weight transfer and when the throttle was opened again the ECU staggered the lean fuelling to the cylinders.. and yes I know the Optimizer couldn’t correct such a thing as its only adjusting the AFR ... it’s really surprised me both how bad the original fuelling was and how many symptoms it caused.....

Can't comment on improvements to popping on decelleration as I've been lucky not to suffer from it

Art