Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GT 02 Optimizer - UPDATE: 6.7.13

Discussion in 'GT-Rx® Fueling' started by GT-Rx®, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Just got it firing!

Re: New to Market - 02 Optimizer

My O2 Optimizer went on an '07 California Vintage. I've put on about 6,000 miles on it at all varieties of altitude and weather conditions. The bike is improved by an order of magnitude...extraordinary fueling, good mpg, excellent starting, it even feels smoother and a little more powerful. This is a must-have accessory for Guzzis with closed-loop fuel injection.

2. Texascat

Texascat Just got it firing!

+1 on the O2 Optimizer on a Cal Vin. Very easy to install, even for me ;) Took me about 10 min.
    On my first ride the bike was riding a little rough for the first mile. I assume the O2 sensor was adjusting. Run like a champ after that. Popping is mostly gone. Seems stronger in the 4-5K rpm range as well. A few pics below on where it connects on the cal vin.

Attached Files:

3. SKurj

SKurj Tuned and Synch'ed

Just mounted my optimizer and PCV! but... overtightened the ground and snapped it off leaving threads in the block... buggah..

Offhand anyone know the spec on the threads of that bolt on the 1200sport/Norge? The main ground attachment behind the starter cover.

[​IMG]

4. Averb

Averb Tuned and Synch'ed

On a Breva it is an M6 x 10

5. Kuzya

Kuzya Tuned and Synch'ed

JUST GREAT THING is this Optimizer. Thumbs up Todd! installed it, tried it 2-up (usually I ride alone, so direct comparison to "before Optimizer" was not done yet) - bike got thaaaaaat smooth. pulls fluently from 2000 rpm with passenger. earlier it was too rough below 3500, even rider-only, never ridden below 4000. and what a low-rev pull :)) I had to throttle a bit and slip a lot on the clutch entering my garage, to overcome a 5 cm high step slowly, was possible only to jump over it and break hard to not hit a car on my way. now I can manage this step as if I where in the car with automatic transmission, just pull-over in the almost idling revs.

Installation hint:
    i had to loosen the starter, cause the connector was squeezed by it and unreachable. did not have to remove starter completely, just unbolted. in case you do the same - DISCONNECT THE BATTERY TERMINALS FIRST! while moving around the starter I had a small spark on +, grounded to something, luckily a small one, quickly disattached, so the fuse survived. but could have burned it.

to the ones considering the buy - just do it. it feels like a motor upgrade from 1200 to a bigger volume, like 1600. must have!

P.S. Todd, you do great things, but please get someone help you in emailing, shipping, processing. It is difficult to get in touch and get things shipped. I see from the forum, I was not the only one who lands in spam or is wherever lost. Thanks for the great product!

6. SKurj

SKurj Tuned and Synch'ed

Well I dug myself in too deep... now looking for a shop that will pick the bike up and possibly install a helicoil to fix the mess.

wrench and learn!

Can't wait to try it though..

7. Cat City Rider

Cat City Rider Cruisin' Guzzisti

A wee late for this post I suppose but with modern alloys, best to be gentle on the wrenching. If worried about something coming loose, Locktite.
    Someone will say something here but I don't trust a lot of the torque specs given. Maybe it's my inexperience, but on the non essential items anyway, I trust my instincts more than some numbers in the back of a book.
    My 2 centavos.

8. Rafael

Rafael GT Reference

My buddy and I installed the O2 Optimizer on his Stelvio yesterday. Went on easy, used velcro to attach it to the frame section just about the swing arm axle backed it up with a zip tie. Didn't have to loosen the starter on this model.

He started it up, then it seems to run slightly erratic for a second then went to a normal idle. Turned it off and tried it again - ran normal. After a ride he said he noticed the difference right way - much smoother. The real test will come in the desert heat. It would not run smoothly at low speeds in temperatures 80F and up.

9. youcanrunnaked

youcanrunnaked Tuned and Synch'ed

Is the O2 Optimizer recommended for the A8 engine? I have heard conflicting things.

Also, can someone school me on Stepper Motors, PC-V's, Auto Tune, Reflashed ECU's, etc.? Is any of this stuff worthwhile on the A8 engine?

10. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

See previous 6 pages and above. ;) Yes, it will work fine.

See other post on this subject.

11. ecka00

ecka00 Tuned and Synch'ed

Rafael, Can you provide pics for the Stelvio--I think there are installation photo's on pretty much every other model? -A

12. Rafael

Rafael GT Reference

Hi Ecka00

I'll post a pic or two when I get back from the Nevada Rally. Not sure I'll be able to get a descent shot. The Opt is well hidden behind the frame.

13. ferdi

ferdi Tuned and Synch'ed

Re: GT 02 Optimizer - UPDATE: PLEASE READ

received my 2 O2-Optimizer 2 days ago, installed them immediatly into my Stelvio (european model 2011 - the new one) - unfortunatly it has 2 O2 sensors and did a longer testrun today.
    I am really very impressed. I hoped that they will work this way, and they do.
    My Stelvio now feels as bikes in the aera before catalytic converters, so smooth in lower rpms below 4000 rpm.
    No surgeing when riding steady with very low motorload, very smooth accelerating in low rpms, perfect.
    The only negative thing - popping is away under 4000 rpm :S , and I liked the popping so much :lol: .
    But this shows, that it runs richer now, and this is also much better for the engine, it does not get so hot.

Conclusion - I am very happy - thank you so much Todd [​IMG] [​IMG]

Installation was quite easy - on the right side the plug of the right O2-sensor is under the seat. installation in 2 minutes, including looking for ground, found it at "Batterys Minus".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left side was more tricky, because the cable from left O2-sensor goes behind the starter to the little empty place behind the motor infront of the frame triangel. To manage the plugging and to secure the O2-optimizer, I had to remove the starter cover and the "motor guard bar" (don't know the engl. word for it, only the german one :mrgreen: ). Ground I found at 1 screw of the starter-cover.
    Unfortunatly I just took pictures when I was already finished because I read Todds mail where he asked me to take pictures :lol: , so the plugs cannot be seen very good on the photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. BravoBravo

BravoBravo Cruisin' Guzzisti

Re: GT 02 Optimizer - UPDATE: PLEASE READ

I just wanted to report that I received Todd's 02 Optimizer this week and installed it yesterday after work. It does exactly what it is supposed to do. My '09 Stelvio is now much smoother, feels like it is running stronger, and as a bonus, the popping on deceleration has almost disappeared!

Thanks for a great product, Todd!

Cheers,

Bruce

15. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

16. Da Rev

Da Rev Tuned and Synch'ed

Well what a difference that makes to the jerky on/off throttle problem I've had with my Breva 1100.
    I had Pete Roper do his magic box thing and that certainly helped, but it was still there to some degree, especially just where I didn't need it: exiting roundabouts, steep descents etc.
    10 minute fix. Took me longer to sort the problem of the sheared earth bolt thingy, than to attach Todd's box.
    On that earth bolt thingy. How dumb is that? I remember someone else mentioning it and was consciously making sure I didn't over tighten it, Snap. Easy extract, but retro fitting a strong threaded stainless insert took 1/2 an hour. Alll good now.
    The ride is so much smoother where I want it.
    Thanks Todd.

17. tiltmode43

tiltmode43 Tuned and Synch'ed

Woohoo! Just ordered the last one in stock, couldn't be happier I came across this today. Looking forward to installing this, glad you got some more of these Todd.

Edit: Ordered Wednesday night, the item shipped Thursday, got it today! I accidentally input differing ship info into PayPal and the website and Todd notified me right away. Quick processing and email correspondence allowed the item to ship immediately (and to the preferred destination). If there are other parts I need that you carry or can get, you've definitely earned my business. Thanks Todd!