Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GT-Rx Performance ECUs

Discussion in 'GT-Rx® Fueling' started by GT-Rx®, Mar 1, 2010.

1. beevel

beevel Just got it firing!

Re: GT-Rx Performance ECUs

And I have to say I'm impressed. I wasn't immediately impressed becuase my TPS was a 2.6degrees and was causing the bike to hunt at low throttle settings. Had my dealer reset my TPS took the bike out; no more hunting just good even steady acceleration and cruising. Can't say that the bike feels all that much more powerful in the midrange, but it definitley feels more lively, and lower rpm cruising around town also feels much much better.

Now I have to decide if I'm going to send my original ecu back for the core charge or keep it as a spare. If I send it back i could add the PC-v and autotune, although I don't know if I really need that, as I really just use the bike like a big standard position cruiser - that happens to be capable of hustling down the twistys. I do have one more purchase that I might make and that would be the gtx meg pipe ( but his would be purely for looks as I find the giant stock muffler a bit of an eyesore with my bags off).

I'm waiting for an ecu for my wife's 750 and hope that if does as much for her bike as it did for mine.

** sorry just noticed I didn't say what I installed my ecu into - 2007 Breva 1100 **

2. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

I've just done the same with my 8V. Performance appears pretty much unchanged but the engine is slightly smoother and, as one would expect, fuel consumption has increased. Plugs are darker but not significantly so but I haven't done multi speed and load tests yet. In the next week or so I'll be taking it to the dyno and the comparison with my #68 mapped ECU and the different pipe and airbox configurations will be interesting.

Overall, from my few short rides so far I'd say it *feels* slightly more relaxed. Downside is the popping just off idle which I had elliminated entirely with the #68 map is back, (Although this might be related to ambient temperature.). As I suspected it also still seems to run stronger and happier with the dB killer installed which as I say is a result of the camming.

'Seat of the pants' says there is an improvement but this may be wishfull thinking. Time and the dyno will tell the tale. I'll spend some more time on the bike this weekend weather permitting and report any findings.

Pete

3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Thanks guys.

Pete, as always I appreciate the feedback, but I wish it was in context. *IF* you do dyno the bike, be aware that my ECU re-flash will do little on the dyno for full throttle horsepower pulls with similar bike mods (fueling isn't that far off at wide-open throttle)... so be sure you do same day, back-to-back, low and mid-throttle dyno pulls against the stock 068 mapped ECU. I sent your ECU modded for your slip-on cat-ed Termi ONLY, so please do not use my ECU for comparison for other mods like a modded air box, and other mufflers... as that is not how I sent it (to be tested).
    If you're not happy with it, please return it and I'll restore it to stock so you'll have a spare.

4. beevel

beevel Just got it firing!

Todd if I decide next year to do the full pc-v autotune will I need to send my ecu back to you for another flash, or is it as it stands ready to go with the pc-v setup?

Will the pc-v autotune allow me to change my exhaust at some future date as well or will you need to relfash the ecu for that first?

5. GT-Rx®

Once you have my ECU, there's no need to return it. Just add the PC-V/AT and go. I can send it with the correct map pre-loaded, and AutoTune will go from there.

6. GT-Rx®

I've fixed both the '09 & '10 fueling wise. You'll certainly be able to read more in the Stelvio section as to the differences, but ECU wise, count on fueling revisions even on the '12s (I've done a few Internationally with great results).
    Post often, and welcome in advance to the Guzzi Famiglia.

7. makarushka

makarushka Cruisin' Guzzisti

Just went through an experiment with my 2009 Griso 8V, going from fully stock bike with 68 map and then trying it in three configurations, each with an according reflash from Todd. Wanted to share my impressions. Bare in mind this is all purely by feel, no dyno testing was done (yet):

1) stock bike; GTRx reflash for stock configuration
    2) open oval carbon Mistral pipe (no dB killer) and stock airbox; GTRx reflash for this config
    3) open pipe, open airbox with stock filter; GTRx reflash for this config

To cut a long story short(er):

1 ) GTRx reflash on stock hardware configuration is a huge improvement, as I expected, based on my experience with the V11 Sport. Bike became smoother everywhere and seemed to run cooler when lanesplitting and/or in traffic. Did not seem to provide much difference in terms of top end power and large throttle openings
    2) configuration 2, open pipe with a closed stock airbox, was not much of an improvement; it appears (as expected) that an open exhaust would like a more open intake, however you correct the fueling
    3) NOW WE'RE GETTING somewhere! Open pipe with open airbox and an according reflash -- the bike did not seem to lose anything but became much freer revving and top end power was definitely higher and its power delivery was sharper and faster.

The reflash, whatever configuration you have, is a definite and worthwhile improvement. Not news to most, I know, but just another voice from another happy customer. Now the complete GTRx solution with PCV\AT on top of the reflash is yet another LEAP in performance gains, truly a transformation. If you like, you can read about my experience with it in the PCV\AT thread here.

8. 67ybs

67ybs Just got it firing!

After a lot of reading and feeling like my Breva 1100 should go better than it did, I decided to do Todds Mod on the ECU and open up the airbox. I already have a Neptune exhaust system which is very freeflow and I felt the bike was running lean. So what happened was....well read on:

I have more induction honk from opening up the airbox which I'm not mad about as it sounded about right before, and more noise always makes it sound it faster . However that aside, Im convinced its SUBSTANTIALLY quicker. It runs like it was probably designed to run!

Key points:
    More responsive right across the rev range
    More torque down low
    Seems to 'turn on' at 4k and 'doubles up' again at 6k and then just builds like a freight train.
    If you keep feeding it, its very happy to rev out whereas before it was flatter and didn't give you any confidence it was enjoying it.
    It's a happier engine and no longer sluggish anywhere in the rev range
    Popping on the overrun is gone. Prolonged periods on the overrun, like down a steep hill with plenty of revs on board (after a good blast up it,) can produce more like a 'spitting' but hardly noticeable and not there at all normally.
    Was using 5.8 litres /100kms before with spirited riding on country roads. Went down the Motorway and back about 80ks and then some country stuff for another 80kms and I have the same result...5.8 Don't care about the gas mileage, but an interesting comparision

I had a Suzuki V Strom 1000 which I traded on the Guzzi 3 months ago, it has basically the old TL Superbike engine, slightly derated. They go well. Its rated at 98hp and weighs about the same as the Guzzi. I ride with some Guys with V Stroms and before the mod, I was ringing the arse out of the Guzzi to keep up with them and losing ground out of the corners. Its going to be interesting now because I reckon I'll be right on them. It now feels similiar in acceleration to my V Strom. If that's true then we now have approx. 100 hp instead of the 86 its rated at.

All in all, it s great improvement and Im very happy with it .
    Cheers, Brian

9. DanPez

DanPez Cruisin' Guzzisti

Re: GT-RX Performance ECU

I was luck enough to get one off from our famiglia member and got it installed 2 weeks ago. Once this was done right away, without driving the bike, I heard and felt the difference in throttle response.

I took the bike out for an hour drive.
    A point to consider …… my comfort zones are from 3500 to 4500 rpm and do roughly 80% to 90% of highway driving.

My initial impression?
    - Smoother take-offs from idle.
    - Throttle response in this range is less jumpy.
    - Overall it has a linear torque from 3000 to 6000 rpm
    - Has less vibration on highway speed. (3500 to 4500 rpm)
    - When the engine is under compression it doesn’t pop as much.
    - Once the engine is at +/-100ºc temperature the throttle response gets even better. (Smoother and more responsive)
    - When I'm stuck in traffic at over 35ºc temperatures it doesn't ping any more on accelerated takeoffs.
    - I did over 500 km with the ECU in and the gas consumption is more or less the same.

Thanks Todd great product.

10. GT-Rx®

Thank you Bruce and Dan... I'm pushing on to keep up with the newest models as well. Thanks for the posts.

11. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

New Bike Check

I just returned from having Todd setup my new V7 Racer. Todd did the things that the dealer should do, but sadly doesn't. In fact, I don't think the dealer does much of anything. I had to use a big pair of pliers to get the dipstick loose so I know they didn't check the oil. Todd checked the valves (too tight),the TPS sensor (way out of spec), and the throttle body sync (OK on this bike). I also had him load a different fuel map in the ECU so the bike doesn't run so lean. Todd very patiently listened to my stories and answered all my questions about the bike.

Thanks, Todd!

12. Lee Turner

Lee Turner Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Todd performed his ECU flash on my ’07 B11 on Saturday and I can affirm the positive reviews, observations, and feedback in this thread. I’ve only put about 50 miles on her since the update but the changes are immediately noticeable and dramatic. The improvement in response and smoothness at low RPMs is truly remarkable.

It’s a weird sensation the first couple of starts with the bike being so well tuned and running so smoothly. It’s sort of a floating experience as you’re bracing/leaning for the flat spots and surging.

The ECU flash completes the first stage performance enhancements for my B11. Second will be a PCV/AT and third will be the intake and exhaust.

Thanks to Todd I’m now chasing the dragon that is Guzzi performance tuning....

Oh, and the espresso was tasty too! :D

13. kmac33

kmac33 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Just wait until you have the complete set up. You will not be disappointed!

14. dldeano

dldeano Just got it firing!

Just installed the ECU on my 2010 Stelvio w/ ~22k miles...I am running a Mistral with a baffle. It has been said before, but I'll repeat it here: Todd is very easy to work with and I can't thank him enough for his prompt communication and help with this modification.

I pulled the side panel for install as I wanted to make sure I didn't bugger up any wire connections. It really didn't make it too bad of a job and helped ensure everything went in there just right. My local shop set the TPS after install.

Now to the good stuff: Throttle roll-ons yield noticeably improved power, especially in the mid range. The top end doesn't seem to be all that different, but it gets to the far side of the tach surprisingly fast as the bike seems to rev quicker.

My bike did suffer from an intermittent PING issue, which the ECU vastly improved. Temps are cooler, so I can't say it is gone, but my Stelvio is happier under load.

The first few tanks seem to have dropped me ~2 or 3 mpg. With that said, I need a few tanks of commuting to be sure as I have been adjusting the volume knob a bit more.

Read the posts here...I do not believe there is any hyperbole stated. It will not make the bike run with an Aprilia RSV4, but does make the bike run noticeably smoother, faster, and fills in the mid range nicely.

15. sohcfour

sohcfour Tuned and Synch'ed

I have a 2009 Griso 8V, with Termi and stock airbox. I've been happy with the bike but not entirely satisfied with the driveability. I have a few questions for those who have chosen to upgrade to Todd's reflash, and a couple questions for Todd if he's reading, too.

1) First and foremost, if I get the reflash now, can I get a PCV-AT later without another reflash?
    2) If yes, how can this work or the reflash eliminates O2 sensor input?
    3) My Termi still has it's catalyst, is there any concern running rich with the cat still in place?
    4) I haven't had a need to access my ECU, how difficult is it?
    5) I've had my TPS set by the dealer in the past year. Does it need to be re-set because the reflash erases the previous setting?

I know there's a whole separate (29 page!) post related to the whole hog PCV-AT, but I'm curious if anyone has moved up from a reflash to the whole package...

6) How much additional work is required to install the PCV-AT?
    7) Does the PCV-AT O2 sensor sit the stock Guzzi O2 bung?

Any answers would be great. I love the bike and it's let down most by it's city driveability. There's a long winter ahead with plenty of time to think about this.

- Matt

16. GT-Rx®

1. Yes.
    2. Yes it does.
    3. No issues.
    4. Very simple; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/163/7002.html
    5. You would need to reset immediately after re-installation, yes.
    6. Link on Tech tab above, then >Fueling for a How-To.
    7. Yes it does, direct swap.

17. EvanM

EvanM Just got it firing!

Have been thinking of getting the ecu flash with the colostomy bag and pipe for my Breva, and keep hearing that I will need to get the TPS reset immediately after re-installation. Would there be any issue with me driving the bike to the dealer to have this done, or will I have to find some way of trailering it there?

18. GT-Rx®

Evan, direct e-mail sent (sorry, just caught this).

As of 11.30.12, I have three (3) Griso 11/12 or Stelvio ECUs for core exchange or outright. Contact me direct e-mail if interested; Todd at GuzziTech.com

19. Brett

Brett Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Re: GT-Rx™ Performance ECUs

I have just sent the ECU from my 2006 Breva 1100 in for a re-flash. I am going for the full upgrade - open air box, new Y-pipe, meg muffler and PCV. I am extremely happy with my bike as is but found that in hotter weather my legs pay the price with the heat radiating off of my catalytic converter. I figured instead of just a new y-pipe I would treat myself with the full modification. Thanks for patiently answering all my questions Todd! Can't wait to fire it up again when I have all the parts installed. :D

20. tmag907

tmag907 Tuned and Synch'ed

ECU reflash

I have a 2009 Griso 8V and for 14,000 miles it has run OK at best. Lots of surging at lower RPM's, lots of backfiring on deceleration and this is after the most current maps, valves adjusted, throttle bodies synced, fresh plugs etc. I finally bit the bullet and sent my ECU to Todd to be reflashed and installed the performance air box. The GRISO is a completely different bike. No surging and NO backfiring. In top gear at 2000 RPM it is smooth acceleration. Above 5K it is very good.
    If I win the lottery I'll go for the Power Commander.