Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GT-Rx Performance ECUs

Discussion in 'GT-Rx® Fueling' started by GTM®, Mar 1, 2010.

1. swagzz

swagzz Cruisin' Guzzisti

Re: ECU reflash

don't forget the autotune
    mine has been in for 4 years and i rarely touch it,just check ups

2. gerryt

gerryt Just got it firing!

I have Todd's full reflash,PCw/autotune, airbox , high flow filters and exhaust. Damn! unbelievable difference. Bike is flawless now. Could not believe the change for that fact nor could the mechanic that did the work and he only works on Guzzis.

G

3. cytocycle

cytocycle Cruisin' Guzzisti

+1 Wait till you do the PCV and autotune!! the above 5k runs even better but more importantly it's even smoother!
    Todd does amazing work, and I swear after 4k miles my griso runs smoother on the highway than my Kawasaki Z1000 from 2003 and very close to my old ZX14. Truely amazing. Now you need to get the Right side Guzzitech pipe also!

Chris

4. Steve Swan

Steve Swan Just got it firing!

Todd's Reflash for V7R

Just want to say how very much pleased I am with Todd's reflash for my 2011 V7R !

NO MORE IRRITATING OBNOXIOUS DECEL BACKFIRE ! None ! Period.

I am running a BMC air filter, Stucchi crossover, Mistral's with DK's and O2 sensor removed.

Throttle behavior after reflash is NO COMPARISON to stock closed loop. Immediate cold starts with even idle. Crisp, smooth throttle response with stronger acceleration.

I used a FatDuc; does not begin to compare to reflash.

If your thinking of spending $80 for a FatDuc, I recommend saving your cash and for another $170, get Todd's reflash. Well worth the extra coin.

As an aside, Todd reflashed my CalVin's ECU..... SAME PLEASING RESULTS.

Highly recommend !!!

5. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Re: Todd's Reflash for V7R

Thanks for the post Steve. Happy to be of service.

6. Brett

Brett Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Re: GT-Rx™ Performance ECUs

So far so good. Actually got my bike started late yesterday, albeit less the Meg and the cross over. I am actually dreading the removal of the Catalytic Converter. I am sure it will be like the ECU removal, once I'm into it, it wont be that bad.

I installed everything while my fairings were off and the tank was off and spun around sitting on the rear of the bike. The PCV injector harnesses are rather difficult to install as the factory injector wiring is short. I also had a miserable time installing the throttle position tap for the PCV into the existing "red" wire. I say miserable but it really isn't that bad if you have some time to pick away in your garage. I would think it would be extremely easy to install everything if the air box was removed completely but that looked like more than I was willing to do. I guess it really boils down to the fact that there is a lot of equipment on a bike in a small package so everything is tight and difficult to work on.

Funny was when I realized I had improperly grounded the ECU and had to remove and spin the tank again. I am now super efficient at removing the ECU.

Another thing that gave me some grief was the open air box. It was a tight fit, my garage was -5 degrees celsius when I was working on it though. I warmed up the lid in my oven then used a hairdryer to warm the plastic on the intake box. with a bit of a push it all slid together.

I really tried to disconnect the factory O2 sensor without removing the starter.........I was wrong, there is a zip tie back there that, even though I managed to get it disconnected, did not allow removal. I then used rubber splice tape and a bit of black tape to water proof the old connector. Todd made mention in the technical area "Seal the OEM connector that remains on the bike as applicable". It was the only method I could think of that would work. I would really like a cover like on the ECU interface plug but my splice tape will work fine. I just hope I never have to remove it because after it gets heated up it never comes of cleanly.

I will post more as I progress. Todd is currently building the Meg and Cross over. I haven't decided if I will be proactive and remove them prior to the parts arriving or if I will wait until I have them in hand.

With the reading and doing things twice I don’t think the reassembly has taken me more than 4 hours total. I was really only putting 20 minutes here, 40 minutes there. It is hard to judge the actual total time. I did have some issues connecting to the ECU but I knew I was going to have an issue with it as my computer has conflicts on communication ports and USB ports because of the loads of software on it. I used a less loaded laptop and everything worked easily.

7. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Just got it firing!

We finally had a decent weather day today. I went out for a ride (about 50 miles) and averaged around 46mpg. No surging, smoother idle and better fueling all around....Thanks Todd !

8. GTM®

Excellent... my pleasure.

For anyone else interested, I now have one each of the below ECUs in stock for outright purchase or core/exchange:

1. Griso 11 or 8V
    2. Breva/Norge/Sport 2V
    3. '09 Stelvio
    4. '10-13 Stelvio
    5. Norge 8V

9. M0T0Geezer

M0T0Geezer Cruisin' Guzzisti

Double Thumbs-Up on ECU Reflash for '04 Breva 750cc

I installed the ECU that Todd ("GT-Rx") reflashed for my 2004 Breva 750cc. After filling the tank, I took a 150 mile day ride with it. I fell in love with that motorcycle, all over again. The bike runs fantastic. I was immediately impressed with the new found tractability:

• Started quickly with no spitting on cold ride off.
      Tip-off from closed throttle to WOT, and all points in between, is perfectly smooth.
      No blubbering at lower throttle openings, or after shifting gears.
      Sustained "traffic cruise" at 25 mph with barely open throttle was smooth, with neither misfiring or bucking, and
      No stumbling or hesitation at all on subsequent acceleration - or anytime else.
      My ride included elevations from 5,000 ft to 7,500 feet. Perfect fueling and perfect manners the whole way.

Previously, the engine would "fade" slightly from time to time at highway speeds as if the ECU was briefly unsure of how much fuel to feed it. Maybe the O2 sensor was sending flaky voltages. Who knows? The important thing is that there is no more fade out!

And the final accolade:

After such a full-spectrum improvement I was fearful of how bad fuel consumption might now be. More good news: 150.9 miles only took 2.9 gallons to re-fill. That calculates to 52.3 mpg, and that ain't bad. Oh yes, that included playing squid in the mountains with some guy performing unnatural acts on a GL1800.

Double Thumbs-Up to Todd's work. So worth the price paid.

Thank you
    Dan Martin
    Longmont CO

10. Travman

Travman Just got it firing!

Hi guys. I have a question about my 2012 Griso 8V. It has ran great from new. It is very quick and the fueling is great. No issues like what some describe with their 2009 8V's. No stumbles or surges.

My only complaint was some heat coming off the exhaust into my left foot. It was especially hot in the 80+ degree humid weather. Not too bad at other times. This winter I had Jet-Hot coat the entire exhaust system, except for the muffler. At the same time I put a Mistral Conical slip-on muffler on it. The baffle is in. The heat issue is much better, but not completely gone. The exhaust note is really good. I'm happy with it.

Would one of these ECU reflash's cool my bike down? Are these bikes running lean and therefore hot from the factory? Has anyone used an ECU reflash on a later Griso 8V? Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
    -Travis

11. GTM®

Hi Travis, congrats on the G8V, and welcome to the Famiglia and Forum.
    The new bikes are very leanly fueled from the factory, which means very hot engine temps, correct. As you've read above, yes more fuel means more cooling (these motors are largely fuel cooled). I've measured a 40ºF temp drop at the heads during testing on the dyno with my re-flash. It works. That said, hot running caused by high air temps and higher RPM running will still result in a hot motor of course, but your motor will be much more enjoyable with the throttle and lower general engine temps. Feel free to reach me direct e-mai if you have any other questions; Todd at GuzziTech.com

12. Callan09

Callan09 Just got it firing!

Hope I'm on the right thread, but can someone tell me where I can find the info for removing my ECU on a 1200 Sport 4v. I remember seeing it some time back, but I'm buggered if I can find it again?

13. GTM®

The 2V & 4V should be the same, now buried in the Breva/Norge/Sport Forum under the FAQ section (at the request of people saying these topics over-whelmed the section); https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/216/3169

14. Callan09

Callan09 Just got it firing!

Thanks for that Todd,that was the posts I was after.

15. Gruzzer

Gruzzer Tuned and Synch'ed

i just finished a week of riding on my freshly re-flashed 2013 v7 stone. and i could not be more pleased with the results.

the new engine really benefits from update. throttle response is great across all rpm's, the bike really roars! the bike did run great before the flash but there were noticeable areas where there was a little lag in power. todd fixed all that (and the popping on decel as well!).

i highly recommend the flash, you will not be disappointed!

16. Barenekd

Barenekd Cruisin' Guzzisti

I got my V7R flashed by Todd last Friday. It seems to have worked out pretty well. I don't notice any amazing power increase, but the throttle response is smoother and more linear. The time from startup to riding has reduced from several minutes to a few seconds. It still may have a few popping problems, but he said he's happy to work with me on it. Anyway it is more pleasant riding. It's one of those things like you don't know there's something wrong with until you fix it!
    Just the first time to really check the mileage. I think it may be down 2-3mpg, but it'll take a few more tanks to really be sure. It's definitely a lot smoother on throttle response, and seems to have a bit more punch. I may take it over to Mickey and see if he'll give me a quickie dyno run.
    Bare

17. duc

duc Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Todd @ guzzi tech

I have voiced this opinion before,But just want to say it again where perhaps anyone new to the forum or just visiting can know.Most here already know,but it does not seem to be enough just to say thanks in an e-mail.Over a period of a year Todd has given me advice and support on his products and the advice I needed to make the right choices for all my performance needs on my 1100 griso.Not a simple thing on his part,my ecu should get frequent flyer miles considering how many times he has made changes to my timeing.Bike is highly modified and Todd has helped every step of the process.Thanks Todd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Duc/Mell

yukonica and tibor like this.
  18. rmance

rmance Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Re: Todd @ guzzi tech

Yea, I'm really looking forward to my guzziteched Stelvio! This is a great forum as well and I'm so grateful for Todd for keeping this going.

Robert

19. Ray1150

Ray1150 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Well rmance you're in for a treat.
    I've never worried too much about the idiosyncrasies of fueling but a recent trip to the Alps showed up how weak the bike was running and the popping going down the mountains drove me mad in the end. So I put my ecu in the post.
    I have only just had the chance to get out for a decent ride, I'm always two up so I have two opinions for you. Like a Stelvio but more so..... difficult to quantify, the exhaust note is slightly lower (mistral pipe with baffle) most noticeable accelerating out of corners less snatchy, but after just over 100 mile ride we both agreed it was money well spent, the bike is just better to ride. Furthermore 99% of the popping on closed throttle has gone.
    Another happy (2) punter(s), cheers Todd.

20. GTM®

Excellent Ray, thanks for the notes... happy to be of help! Cheers!