Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GT-Rx Performance ECUs

Discussion in 'GT-Rx® Fueling' started by GT-Rx®, Mar 1, 2010.

1. PositivePablo

PositivePablo Just got it firing!

I had Todd install the sump extender and flash my ECU on my 2014 V7 Special two weeks ago, and all I have to say is "Wow!" After reading all the posts on the forum I had an idea of what improvements to expect, but the actual results of the flash blew me away and exceeded my expectations.
    Pre-flash, I felt that the issues I had come across were just quirks that I would just get used to. The engine itself had quite a bit of torque right out of the bottom but fell flat towards the middle. Post flash, the bike reacts the way I feel a bike should. It definitely made the motorcycle more "intuitive" and now handles almost second nature. My experience post-flash echos what most people in the forum say. At low speeds the bike is much more manageable. The response on the throttle is much more snappy and responsive. Engine feels great throughout the whole band. Gone is the hesitation and stumbling from before. Pre-flash, the bike would not always start right away. It now starts much more smoothly and right away, every time. Gone is the popping and hiccuping from before. Heat from the engine has dropped significantly. There is barely, if any, bluing of the pipes.
    I have to say, the flash had done wonders for the bike's personality. My first ride, at home, that Sunday evening, I had the biggest smile on my face. I literally felt like I was falling in love with the bike. I had the same butterflies in my stomach as when I first kissed my girlfriend. The whole ride I was thinking to myself, "Now this is how the bike should have felt leaving the factory!" Since November, I have had an outstanding deposit on one of the new Ducati Scrambler Full Throttles that are expected to come out in May. I test rode a demo at the dealership in Southern California last weekend and after my ride in, I canceled and had them refund my deposit. The face on the rep was priceless. Definitely not what they were expecting from a rider after finishing a ride on one of their newest bikes.
    Again, thanks to Todd for all of the info and work he does with this site. Seriously one of the nicest and raddest guys I've met. You could really tell how genuinely passionate he is about bikes and the brand as well. He was so easy to talk to and I could have easily spent hours just talking about bikes. If you've never been to his place in Malibu, it's absolutely breathtaking and beautiful. I can't wait to finish up all the goodies we have planned for my bike!

black47, GT-Rx® and mwrenn like this.
  2. mwrenn

mwrenn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

It is really dramatic what the proper fueling does for these SB Guzzis! My experience was the same, post reflash, I had the bike I wanted all along...lol

GT-Rx® likes this.
  3. Brett

Brett Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I have about 7000 km on the system now. I can't describe how great it runs and amazing it sounds. Well worth the coin.

In the next couple of years I will be installing the same system on my wife's Norge.

Thanks Todd!

GT-Rx® likes this.
  4. stinga

stinga Tuned and Synch'ed

I too have just finished the install one of Todd's full fuelling upgrade kits into my 2010 1200 Sport 8V, and I know that its been said before but I must reiterate all the other positive remarks on the top piece of well thought out and executed upgrade fuelling kit.
    I also used the Diag soft wear to reset the TPS and I was overwhelmed at how smooth the program installed and run, normally this type of shit stuffs up for me something to do with Murphy's Law. Plugged in lead and the lappy found COM port at once, saved map with no problem and then reset TPS bloody eggselent.
    Set TPS after the first warm up using the Power Commander soft wear took it for its virginal run and bloody hell wot a different machine, no more looking like a 5 year old on their first ride after removing the trainer wheels when negotiating round-a-bouts. Got home and downloaded the trimmings to the map then set off for another spin well if ya think things couldn't get better well you are wrong this thing now lifts the front wheel about 300mm in the air and for about 30 meters when doing power shifts from 1st to second:D:D:D;);). Just need to put in a set of 1400 jugs-n-pots and I might be able to blow wind up me mates arse on his Diavle, nah just dreaming.
    One thing I've learnt during the undressing of the 1200 and that is you can see why Guzzi have so many electrical and other issues. The wiring looks a miss mash of a dogs breakfast and oil hoses and the likes wedged under fittings to the point that they have started to wear through but as they say this is what gives the brand it's character.
    Just a couple of other things, Todd it would have been nice to have been wearing my new GuzziTech "T" shirt during the tinkering, and it would be nice to have a decal that lets everyone know that this Guzzi has been GuzzTech Enhanced, maybe next time LOL.

Thanks for your valuable time and patience.

5. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

My pleasure, thanks for the post. If you think it's better now, add the PC-V/AT down the road. It is that much better again.

6. GT-Rx®

My pleasure... thanks for the business. Watch continually accepting the Trims (it's not best to do this) instead pull and send me the PC-V map.
    I'm a TINY one-man operation, so frivilous advertising spending is tough. I'm still well over $500 in the red on the current batch of shirts from almost a year ago, and near $200 in the red from the 2012 shirts; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/category/wear/ -- but I hear you. Stickers I can likely do on the cheap to give out. Thanks for input.

7. Gordo

Gordo Tuned and Synch'ed

Todd, I recently bought an '07 Breva V1100 that came equipped with a CNC throttle body, a Mistral carbon feck silencer w collector, and a PCV w Autotune. I can only assume the previous owner bought most of the goodies from you? I bought the bike from a chap in Maple Ridge, BC, Canada. Do you have any records of these modifications on this bike? I'm experiencing some popping on the closed throttle/overrun. Also, the bike seems to be running hot. Hotter than my old Lemans, anyway, with lots of hot air wafting over my knees! I think he bought these mods this spring, but I can't be sure. He said he would look for a CD-ROM that came with the Power Commander. I wonder if this stuff could benefit from a "re-flash" or if that is unnecessary when equipped with the PCV along with the Autotune unit. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to electronic engine management.... I'm poring over this site and reading everything I can find on the subject. Power Commander's site didn't seem to be as illuminating as the stuff I'm reading here. Ciao; G-$

8. GT-Rx®

Ciao Gordo, CNC Throttle body, assume you mean air box lid? Do you have a name at all on who owned the bike previously? Only one from BC, @Nordicnorm on the Registry.
    Tough to say with knowing the owner or history on the ECU, but if it has my air box lid, it's likely it has my ECU as well. Download the Control Software (top link here); http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/downloads/powercommander_downloads.aspx?ProdType=PCV -- then connect to the PC-V using a USB to Mini-USB cable. Pull and email me the map off the PC-V. That will get us started. A re-flash is paramount to the functionality of the PC-V/AutoTune, which may have been done, but could've been overwritten by a dealer. I'll be watching.

9. Gordo

Gordo Tuned and Synch'ed

I think it's the air-box lid, with large opening. Also, in the photos in the ad for the bike, there is a small "pig-tail" or plug with a couple of different coloured leads attached to the top. Air temp sender? The fellow who sold me the bike is Dennis Bamford.

10. Gordo

Gordo Tuned and Synch'ed

I'm borrowing a lap-top from a buddy, and I'll get you the data you need from the PC-V module. I'll patch Dyno-Jet's cable into the PC-V? I'll get a buddy to help me email the map to you. Where is the ECU situated? Under the tank? I go on a holiday from the 29th of August, so I'll want to mail you the ECU (if necessary) at the end of this month for a re-flash. I phoned the dealer that Dennis bought the bike from to find out if they could tell me anything about the mods, but they told me they weren't involved. The bike won't run right without further attention to these engine management problems. Not only does it gag at partial throttle settings down low, but it seems to interrupt or shut off fuelling between 4.5K and 6K rpms. No telling when it will do this stuff. Totally unpredictable... Maybe you can forward me to another thread about how to remove the ECU etc?

11. GT-Rx®

Hmmm, this might be a air temp sensor fooler (post a picture), which you'll need to remove. I have no record of Dennis Bamford.

It was unfortunately deleted. Location of the ECU is shown below (yellow arrow), a bit of a bear to get to, it's under the frame, under the front nose of the tank mounting location. It can be removed through the small triangular frame side opening to the left front when seated on the bike. The ECU and location of removal/installation shown by the green arrow below.
    Hope you can take some additional photos to document the removal so I can repost here. Also see this thread for plug and ground details/removal (only); https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/removal-of-griso-ecu.7002/#post-52582

I'll reply to all of the rest to the email account you have on file here -- which bounced: gordonzo2 at shaw.ca -- this is no good?

BN12S-ECU-LOCATION.jpg

12. Gordo

Gordo Tuned and Synch'ed

I talked to Dennis Bamford today, and he says it's your air-box with the plug that goes onto the original plastic airbox plugged into it. He said the PC-V and Autotune came from Valley Moto (Valley Yamaha) in Chilliwack. Dennis fitted the equipment along with the Mistral can and collector. I asked him whether there could possibly be an exhaust leak, and he said he resorted to an exhaust sealant of some sort where the silencer fits up to the collector. I'll have to look closely at that, because he said that all the popping had ceased when he last rode it. Of course the Autotune is still set at 20%, so I suppose it varies widely still? And it's tuning like crazy? I'm going to patch into the lap-top this afternoon.

13. ZClark73

ZClark73 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Just how beneficial is it? *smirk*

14. Johnny99

Johnny99 Just got it firing!

I purchased Todd's ECU re-map earlier this year and installed it into my 2012 Stelvio NTX. It's been said before, and I'll say also; this rather simple upgrade has been a revelation on my bike. It ran smoother and more progressive in every gear without that terrible low RPM lean fuelling hesitation. Well in the last two weeks I completed the upgrade process by installing the PC-V/AT-300 and it is simply a new bike!! This is the bike the factory should have made. With Todd's setting for the PC-V out-of-the box, this bike is now so smooth at low speeds and every gear change is much quicker and more positive. The bike just wants to hit the redline in every gear and I have to now watch myself. As I fitted the free flowing Staintune pipe soon after I bought the bike I was getting a lot of popping on deceleration. Now, it is still there but much more reduced but the bike is just so much the better for it. I haven't done any TPS resets or downloading of the AT trims as yet, i'll give it a few more km's before this. Yes it isn't cheap but when you factor the many 100's of hours Todd would have put into this as well as the TRANSFORMATION it gives your bike, I think it's worth it. Thanks Tood. FYI would loved to have placed a small GuzziTech sticker on the bike to let all and sundry know that it's been "re-powered by GuzziTech"" but alas no stickers found.

ZClark73 likes this.