Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GT V7 Speedo Drop Bracket

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by ValerioGuzzi, Nov 24, 2020.

1. ValerioGuzzi

ValerioGuzzi Just got it firing!

Ciao!

I have bought the speedo drop bracket and am about to install on my V7 I Classic, but full disclosure this is my first bike and I have no idea what i'm doing. I have a feeling I'll need to snip the indicators and either reconnect them by soldering, or maybe just use some heat shrink waterproof butt connectors.

If anyone has done this process before, I'd love to hear any tips or suggestions. If you have a link to an actual video tutorial that would be the dream!

The product is sold on the store site,

https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/other/products/gt-v7-speedo-drop-bracket

Any help would be most appreciated!

Stay Safe!

A

Mayakovski likes this.
  2. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

I would be very surprised if you have to cut anything. There are no closed shapes in the drop bracket. I would suggest carefully disconnecting the screws/bolts that hold the existing bracket in place and making note of how to move the wires and cables to allow for it's removal and then the reverse to install it. Take it slow and think through every step. You should be able to sort it out without issue.

Hippo-Drones likes this.
  3. ValerioGuzzi

Thanks Mayakovski, let's hope so!

It arrives tomorrow so only one way to find out :)

Mayakovski likes this.
  4. ValerioGuzzi

Just to update you all - installation went great and it looks gorgeous.

Thanks for your help :)

5. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

What !!! No pictures !
    Mine is in the mail...with the rest of the Seasonal crush packages... waiting :wondering:

6. ValerioGuzzi

haha, well in that case here's the finished article! Love the look of it.

No soldering required on the indicators, but because the indicator bolt wouldn't fit through the holeI I had to take off the plastic plugs to remove them and then just used aviation butt splices and heat shrink wrap to reconnect. I then had to loosen the clutch and brake cables so I can fit the wires over the wings of the bracket when I re-installed. It was my first proper job on a bike so couldn't be happier - all went pretty smoothly considering!

IMG-0731.jpg IMG-0725.jpg

Wildroamer and Mayakovski like this.
  7. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

Nice !
    Are those Dunstall pipes ?

8. ValerioGuzzi

Mistral!

Wildroamer likes this.
  9. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

I was looking for information on removing / swapping the Speedo to my new GTech metal bracket

946DB1A5-3F64-4485-9CA9-40E3C2C650C1.png
    And saw a amazing resemblance between the parts ;)
    Except the GT part has a - Better finish, centered the gauge and Perfect fit !

GTM® likes this.
  10. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Ha, yes, thanks... no need to reinvent the wheel. Unrelated, I've ordered the V9 speedo bucket, which someone mentions is easy to modify to fit... so I'll do one and post. I personally didn't mind the look without one, but I'm fortunate to live in the land of mostly sun, and very little (misty on rare occasion) rain.

Louisv97 likes this.
  11. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

The pictures I keep whining about ;)
    ED18A22C-09EE-4AE6-A3A9-65F403724A97.jpeg
    I cut the plastic mount off the Speedo tub and used a file to get the saw marks off and round out the lower section.
    Then heated it and “Textured it “ with 120 sand paper, rolling the tub on the sandpaper to normalize the surface.
    There was no way to get the flat black sand cast look. ( thinking a bit more maybe a “gentle” shot of sand blaster would get me a nice finish.)
    500E0C11-13A3-4B01-983D-AF29E78B71AE.jpeg D74D5330-3DC7-4C0B-BA48-BECBB91BDE83.jpeg
    Much easier to re-attach the windscreen with the center mounted gauge !

Still working on the piece that covers the mount... maybe ill build a new piece rather than try and *fix* the original.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Mayakovski likes this.