Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

GTM Cal-14 Exhaust

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by GTM®, Apr 10, 2014.

1. blakbird

blakbird Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Todd I can't tell from the pictures in the thread if the longer one piece headers will work with shorty Zards.

With the factory supplied mounting brackets the Zards clamp about 1.5 inches from the flex joint collar on the GT-Rx H pipe. ??

[​IMG]
    ShortyZard-to-H_Pipe.jpg
    Insert:

If the headers won't reach the Zards with their standard brackets could you fabricate SS brackets to move the Zards about 1.5 inches forward ??

Moving the Zards forward 1.5 inches might make it possible to remove the rear wheel without removing the mufflers.

Happy Thanksgiving.

2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Your image link is broken. If you want to send me the Zard mufflers, I can make something that can work, sure. Send me a direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com if interested in doing it.

blakbird likes this.
  3. blakbird

blakbird Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Todd, You're a magician.

The shorty Zards, with the forward heat shield brackets removed, and the area polished to a mirror finish look amazing.

Coupled with the mirror finish on the GT-Rx full SS header system, a joy to behold.

The magic is in the custom brackets that move the Zards forward a full 2 inches. No need to take the mufflers off to change the rear tire now.

Considering I'm on the 3rd rear tire now, with 7,900 miles on the Odometer. Moving the exhaust forward will shave a few minutes at least once a year.

I'll try to post a picture later.

GTM® likes this.
  4. GTM®

John L likes this.
  5. GTM®

John L and Meldrew like this.
  6. BayareaEMT

BayareaEMT Tuned and Synch'ed

I am a new owner of 2014 California model and will do some research on exhaust. Looks like I might be hitting up GT motorcycle web site soon.

7. GTM®

8. SheikRamzi

SheikRamzi Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Excited to have a full system for my 2017 touring model heading my way soon. Just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks for removing the old exhaust/installing the new one. Looks like the crash guards and foot-boards probably have to come off. Anything else?

9. sir fred

sir fred Cruisin' Guzzisti

Use a sawsall and cut the crossover.

10. GTM®

Crash bars can remain. Removing the floor boards makes the job much easier. Work from the cylinder heads back, finger tight, back to the mufflers. Center the system right to left, and tighten in the same sequence. You may need header gaskets, not supplied, if your bike has a considerable amount of miles.
    He bought the full system, so no need to cut anything... that’s just for the GTM H-pipe.

sir fred likes this.
  11. sir fred

sir fred Cruisin' Guzzisti

I bought your full shorty a couple years back. Cutting the old one off sped things up.

After reading that the Cali 1400 was going to be discontinued,I became concerned with a future crack. I was going to purchase Todd's H-pipe and some mufflers. After some emails with Todd, I ended up purchasing the full system. I am super pleased with my purchase and after removing the old pipes was glad I did...this is the old H-pipe.the best way to remove the old system is with a sawsall...I highly recommend changing it if you are going to keep your bike.

[​IMG]

this my new system...very clean looking!

[​IMG]

John L and GTM® like this.
  12. GTM®

Ah! Fair enough! They do get stuck quite often. Thanks for posting that.

13. T.J. Hooker

T.J. Hooker Just got it firing!

I just got my tours on Friday. How does one remove the DB killers? My Agostinis had a C-ring that held them in but I don't see anything like that. And here's a dumb question, I'm replacing the whole system so got new gaskets from MG Cycle per your suggestion...but which way are the gaskets supposed to go? Does the metal side go towards the engine block or facing out?

14. GTM®

You’re referring to my GTM system, correct? If so, there’s nothing that can be removed. They are built for sound and power as delivered.

15. Gavin Robertson

Gavin Robertson Not me.....this is a GUZZI advert from the 1980s GT di Razza Pura

Todd..........many thanks, my full system arrived yesterday and I an keen to get on with the fitting.
    Bought the 2017 C1400 in late July 21 and it is undergoing many changes. Air intake, ECU , seat, suspension, footboard to foootpeg conversion with associated levers etc....and the full GTM exhaust...thanks

GTM® likes this.
  16. Gavin Robertson

Gavin Robertson Not me.....this is a GUZZI advert from the 1980s GT di Razza Pura

IMG_0175.JPG Started the GTM exhaust install.....putting the Matris rear shocks, fork internals and all .....pegs rather than boards....tank panel sides. ...your man’s (forum member: JBHOTCHKISS)air box elimination.......at the same time.

Phew.....thankfully not in my garage.

Thanks
    Gavin
    The Scottish Engineer

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Sasazuka and William H. like this.
  17. Gavin Robertson

Todd.....probably said before .....but not by me

A big thank you for your knowledge, product design and manufacture.

Your California 1400 long touring GTM exhaust system is engineering ‘adult material’

Class act

Thanks

Gavin
    The Scottish Engineer

GTM® likes this.