Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Turn the key on to power up the ECU. Don't start the engine.

Mayakovski likes this.
  2. Oliver Davies

Oliver Davies Just got it firing!

Thanks Raven!
    It was quite obvious but thought I'd check with those in the know.
    Todd has also now updated the operating instructions to make it clearer.

Flash done and throttle calibrated. Whilst there is not a drastic difference, the bike is running smooth and there is less drag on releasing the throttle when in motion.
    Perhaps the SAS and evaporation can do need to come off, although this is more work than I anticipated.

3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Drastic differences come from modifications like intake and exhaust. This is an air/fuel correction only. Smoothness and throttle response is all it does really.
    My map is built around the mods I state. ;)

4. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

Here is a link to the SAS page and instructions, detailed instructions with pictures on 2nd page. Took me about 2.5 hours and that included removing the fuel tank to make for more work room and light. Not hard at all. :)

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gtm-secondary-air-supply-sas-block-off-kit.18018/

5. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

I posted the procedure to block off the EVAP and vent the tank normally a while ago. It's here:
    https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/evap-removal-from-v7iii-racer.17879/

Takes about 20 minutes max. I haven't yet removed the canister, but that's about a three minute job (just unbolt, pull the unused portion of the vacuum line, and throw far away...). Just haven't gotten a round tuit. :D

Mayakovski likes this.
  6. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Tuned and Synch'ed

Did you do the 'drill out' of the DB killer or get the end-cap with the removable DB killer? I've considered both the mid pipe and removing the DB killer, at a minimum, the mid pipe would cool the pipe down a bit removing the cat. I've found removing the cat knocks midrange down a bit, but engine runs to redllne much faster. I'm too cheap/sensible to go with a GT box.

Did you remove the evap cans, or just bock them off? I removed the system completely from my Norge, and just blocked off the lines on my GRiSO.

7. DETRoadster

DETRoadster Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Hi All, hoping someone can lend some advice with the GTM Flash Tool. I have a 2014 V7 Racer. Downloaded the the software to a PC, no problem. Connected up the FT to the PC and allowed it to update. Seemed to go fine; no errors. Connected the FT to the bike and followed the instructions in the manual to read and store the stock file to the FT. it prompts me to verify the ignition is on, which is is (ignition on, engine NOT running), it begins to read the ECU and then gives me the following error: "ERROR - ECU in Recovery, reading not allowed." I've double checked the diagnostic port to make sure the two wires are in good shape and the pins are not pushed back. All looks good there. I also attempted to use some of the other functions on the programmer to see if it could read data from the ECU. Under the "Diagnostic" tab there's selections for EOBD, Vehicle List, and My Vehicle. EOBD and Vehicle list both return "Warning! Function not available" while "My Vehicle" simply chimes at me when I press the button.

Any idea folks?! Thanks!

8. GT-Rx®

Covered many times here and in the instructions, but happy to post it again (and again)... the bike must be as ready to start, meaning in neutral, in the run position, etc. EOBD is not available as the bike is not EOBD. Also covered in the instructions. ;)

9. DETRoadster

Hey Todd, thanks for chiming in on a Saturday night. I promise I followed the instructions for reading the original file. Even printed them off and brought them down to the shop with me! Understood on the EOBD. Admittedly I did not get that far in the manual. I had stopped at the "Reading the original file" section.

Anyway, I think I got it. I had selected "V7 Cafe Racer" from the menu. On the next page is a "V7 Racer" option. That one seems to be the ticket. Download is in process now.:)

GT-Rx® likes this.
  10. Stradagene

Stradagene Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Oh noooo!
    You did not really post that :p

11. Chris Weber

Chris Weber Just got it firing!

Boy I hope this has not already been covered, and I missed it.
    I just got the new GTMv2-NEW.mod file for my 2015 V7, Todd mentioned a couple things that also must be accomplished, and they flew over my head. Perhaps someone here can help.

1) "Be sure to run the Throttle Position Command under the Diagnosis > My Bike tab. When flash is done." Is this obvious once I start ?

2) Todd mentioned "the map is built around the evap can & tip valve delete. Can somebody help me on this?

What becomes of the two hoses connected to the evap can. Does one get plugged and the other fuel tank vent just hangs there?

And what does "tip valve delete" mean. Are theses done before I get started"

Thanks a million.
    Chris

12. Mayakovski

Remove Evap
    Read in detail, it's all there and all easy.

SAS Block Off
    Not sure if this is the same thing as a "Tip Valve", but these were the two things Todd had me do on my V7 III before installing the new map.

13. V7 Dreaming

V7 Dreaming Tuned and Synch'ed

Tip valve should be a valve that is between the hose from fuel tank and the hose to the evap can.

14. DETRoadster

Yep, this one is obvious when you are in the scan tool. I dont recall the exact verbiage but its something like "Throttle Position Reset." YOu select that one and the tool does the rest. it will confirm for you when it's done. That's the only indication it's complete.

15. Larry Vance

Larry Vance Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

So am I correct in that the refleash tool is designed to work only if the evap can & tip valve are deleted. If these steps are not taken is there any advantage to the reflash? Thanks

16. GT-Rx®

No, it works well period. However, this is a air/fuel correction, and the evap canister (and SAS for ‘17+ models) are intake and exhaust leaks.

Mayakovski likes this.
  17. DETRoadster

Larry, not sure of your level of technical aptitude so take no offense if you already understand this: There's a computer on your bike called an ECU (Electronic Control Unit). On that ECU is a piece of software that controls when your fuel injectors spray fuel into the engine, how much they spray into the engine, etc. based on a load of different conditions like engine RPM, load, throttle position, and more. The flash tool is simply the conduit that allows you to copy over that software with updated software that Todd supplies. The decisions Todd makes about what bits of that software to modify to give you better performance are done with the assumption that you have already removed the evap canister and tip valve. If you load Todd's program to your bike and fail to remove the evap canister and tip valve, the new software that Todd has supplied will not work to maximum effectiveness on your bike.

While the evap canister and tip valve serve their purpose as part of the emissions system, it comes at the expense of ride-ability. That evap canister system effectively creates a vacuum leak in your intake system, which is not conducive to performance or smooth riding enjoyment. The removal of that system works hand in hand with Todd's ECU reprogramming. So if you've gone to the trouble and expense of purchasing the flash tool and loading up Todd's software modifications you really should take that last step and eliminate the evap canister and tip valve. It's about a 15 minute job.

GT-Rx® and Mayakovski like this.
  18. Mayakovski

Well said DETRoadster.

DETRoadster likes this.
  19. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

Responding just to the bolded portion of the above, the answer is "yes."

I had Todd's standard remap installed in Racer even before the EVAP valve jammed or I changed out the mufflers and removed the SAS. The bike started faster, warmed up more quickly, and had improved throttle response and mid-range with the standard re-map.

I removed the EVAP when its valve jammed and the vacuum in the fuel tank went up to dangerous levels. The bike became nearly unridable in that event, stalling constantly and not idling or running well. Removing the EVAP solved that nonsense. It didn't change the running behavior of the engine at all comparing it to when the EVAP was working properly and the re-map was installed.

I pulled the SAS after I'd switched out the OEM mufflers/catcons. Todd and I worked through to an updated ECU re-map that works beautifully with the Agostini mufflers I bought from him, but the engine would pop and bark too much on overrun and at odd moments of rapid throttle closure. The problem was that the SAS was dumping fresh air into a momentarily too rich exhaust environment, as it is supposed to do to keep a cat con burning hot, but without a cat con to absorb the burn and damp it, the mixture just hits the flash point and makes nasty sounds in the exhaust pipe. Removing the SAS eliminates that issue just about entirely; the SAS is specifically designed to do that for the cat con, and for nothing else.

So to say again: there's great value in Todd's standard re-map, even with all the other OEM gear intact. But the EVAP system is a potential problem that can destroy a fuel pump and a fuel tank, and if you change to non-standard mufflers, you will most likely have the same issues with popping and barking on overrun due to the SAS. Removing both, fitting a good set of mufflers, and having a nicely tailored ECU map in place, the V7III engine performs way better than its specified 52-ish hp rating has any right to. :D

Poppe and Mayakovski like this.
  20. V7 Dreaming

V7 Dreaming Tuned and Synch'ed

After installed Arrow 2-1 exhaust and reflash with Todd's re-map(plus sas and evap system remove). I feel my bike run smoother and pull harder.
    It's more fun like some sleeping lazy horses in my engine wake up and do their job.

Poppe, GT-Rx® and V700Steve like this.