Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - We're offering FREE shipping on orders over $99 for U.S. customers now through Monday (11/30) midnight PST. Use COVID-20-FREE at checkout on the STORE tab above — Please support small business! We wish the best to everyone; Stay healthy and hope you can get out and ride! Also, see our Newsletter link in the General Chat section below.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GTM®, Jul 31, 2015.

1. misterwes31

misterwes31 Just got it firing!

This is very very helpful. thank you for the information. I have just one last question: I read your post on another thread about evap removal - also helpful. And I understand the evap was causing issues of creating a vacuum in the gas tank. My question is what is the evap meant to do and why is vacuum being created? And what is theconsequence of such vacuum when riding?

2. PresterJohn

PresterJohn Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

I have a new 2016 V7. What effect does the re-flash have on gas mileage?

3. My name is Jeff

My name is Jeff Cruisin' Guzzisti

I’ve got a 15 model and consistently get 330 to 340 kms till the fuel light comes on.

4. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Extremely well covered here and on the reviews... just have to read. ;)

5. dududuckling

dududuckling Cruisin' Guzzisti

Hi,

I am planning to flash the ECU tomorrow, followed by SAS and Evap removal following weeks. It is my first ECU flash and the bike is my only transportation to work. I have read all 216 posts on ECU flash and manual, but am still quite nervous and would like to double check the steps:

To read:

1. Install GT-PWG3.exe on PC, connect FT to PC, update the software in the FT, disconnect from PC
    2. Connect battery (I run Antigravity ATX-12) to battery tender hooked to wall outlet to sustain charge
    3. Turn the key to ON, red ignition safety switch to ON, gear in N (Do not start the bike!)
    4. Connect red/black alligator clips from FT to battery, then OBD cable from FT to ECU
    5. Device powered up, tap on Tuning > Follow on-screen instruction > Do you want to start read operation? Y
    6. Disconnect FT from bike, connect FT to PC, upload *.usr file from FT to PC, email Todd *.usr file, disconnect from PC

To write:

7. Connect FT to PC, download revised .usr file from PC to FT via GT-PWG3.exe, disconnect from PC
    8. Connect battery to battery tender
    9. Turn the key to ON, red ignition safety switch to ON, gear in N (Do not start the bike!)
    10. Connect red/black alligator clips from FT to battery, then OBD cable from FT to ECU
    11. Device powered up, tap on Tuning > Follow on-screen instruction
    12. Diagnosis > My Bike > Throttle Position Reset
    13. Disconnect FT from bike, ready to go

Is that it?

Any re-learning throttle position or is that part of the on-screen instructions?

Do I need to connect the battery tender, or would the battery have enough juice to power this little device for 20 minutes?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  6. V7 Dreaming

V7 Dreaming Tuned and Synch'ed

Last step after write new map is reset throttle position in diagnosic/my bike tab.
    Yesterday I rewrite 3 map to test O2 sensor function. Battery still has enough power to done the job.

dududuckling likes this.
  7. dududuckling

Edited.

I am unclear about Reset Throttle Position since it is not written in the FT manual.

Is it easily found on the menu? And after that I can disconnect FT from the bike?

Thanks!

Nice yellow Guzzi!

V7 Dreaming likes this.
  8. V7 Dreaming

Yes. It is very easy to find it. Press on Diagnostic icon on lower left and then press on My bike icon on lower right and then select throtle position reset in the middle. (If I remember the step right.)

When I saw your post, sometime I confuse it's my post haha. We have the same color bike.

dududuckling likes this.
  9. dududuckling

Same! Thanks for the insight!

10. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

Given that the ECU flash is designed to work best with the SAS block off and the EVAP removal completed, you will find the bike runs best when all three are done. If possible do all three at the same time.

dududuckling likes this.
  11. dududuckling

Hey guys I’m currently reading the stock file. Is this normal?

Attached Files:

12. GTM®

Yes. Don’t be too paranoid. Let things play out. The system is pretty fool-proof.

dududuckling likes this.
  13. dududuckling

Thanks Todd. I’m just really scared of screwing up. :)

14. dududuckling

Done and done!

GP Megs mufflers + ECU flash + Evap removal + SAS block

Compared to stock, the Guzzi has a deep, throaty sound (GP Megs), more consistent pull across the entire rpm range until gear shift light comes on (ECU Flash), and once you complete SAS/Evap, it feels like the motor breathes more freely (the sound is more raw, the pull is stronger, and quicker response).

Evap - by-pass the valve on the breather line (gas tank straight to evap canister), most of the vacuum line is removed, the intake manifold is blocked, and evap canister stays in place.

I test rode it up the 154, gassed up, rode around town. No fuel spill, no problem at all, only the good stuff.

Todd - many thanks for the brilliant fuel
    mapping and plug-and-play SAS kit and for making my bike fun to ride again.

GTM®, Mayakovski and Stradagene like this.
  15. Stradagene

Stradagene Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Congrats!!!
    See...???? Pretty nice results, yes?! :)

Mayakovski likes this.
  16. dududuckling

Yes... my only regret is having waited six months because the whole ECU reflash is pretty new to me and I’m afraid of screwing up my only daily driver.

During that one hour test ride, I was smiling all the way as I squeezed the throttle. Wasn’t going very fast, but most fun!

17. tk-4962

tk-4962 Just got it firing!

To those that have completed the flash, performed the EVAP and SAS removal and upgraded the exhaust, do you get a ton of popping on decel or throttle roll off?

I just added the full 2:2 Guzzitech meg system along with the mods mentioned above and get tons of popping and gurgling. I LOVE it. It sounds so raw and agressive. I just ask if others experience this, because reading seems to indicate that most people don't prefer that sound and mention that the flash gets rid of those popping sounds.

The bike feels excellent after the flash and mods. I highly suggest it to anyone reading this. Todd was super quick and easy to work with as well.

18. V7 Dreaming

I have no decel popping on mine with all mod you mentioned plus air filter upgrade.

Mayakovski likes this.
  19. GTM®

I caution you on this, as it sounds like you may have an exhaust leak at the cylinder heads or similar. You should have very little or no closed throttle popping. If you like that, once you verify there is no leak, I am able to do this with the fuel map.

20. PokeyGuzzi

PokeyGuzzi Tuned and Synch'ed

How does one verify there are no leaks? I get a decal pop every now and then and just figured that was normal, even with full GT setup (2>1, map, SAS, evap removed).