Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GTM®, Jul 31, 2015.

1. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Brian,

I am rather direct and to the point and those not used to people like me, often misinterpret me or attribute “tone” to me that actually isn’t there at all. I understand. I myself, find it difficult to understand people who are not direct and to the point.

I didn’t mean to make you feel bad. Your question was fine but you misinterpreted my direct answer.

Apologies but I am never snarky. If I have an opinion, and I choose to express it, it’s just direct and to the point.

Todd said it more eloquently “The bike is a global bike, and the system is designed to handle elevation changes as delivered”.

I’m glad you got the answer you were seeking. Todd sells fantastic fueling solutions which will provide you with the rideability you are seeking.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    GTM® and Brian Vandenbergh like this.
  2. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

Scott, I'm the same way. Way to blunt for some.
    The biggest problem is forgetting some people who have no mechanical experience even though they might have hidden talents and they really want to learn. just a fact of our times. Dad went to the dealer, accepted second-class work many times because he didn't know any better so most never got to learn. "just try and find somebody to balance car tires right". I took my kid's truck into the GMC dealer for an oil change. It came back 1 1/2 quarts over on oil and 2 quarts low on transmission fluid. So much for the experts! I guess sometimes we have to back up and have a bit more patience. Not easy!

3. jwtucker

jwtucker V11 Sport 4 Life

Brian, in case it wasn't on your radar yet, your V7 III with aftermarket exhaust will greatly benefit from the SAS block-off kit, also sold by GTM. The SAS is responsible for much popping once you add a (cat-less) free flowing exhaust.

__Jason

4. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler GT di Razza Pura

Funny you should mention the popping, I just did the SAS removal Saturday night and indeed the those pops when backing off throttle are gone,
    I was sort of getting used to them ;)

Wildroamer and scottmastrocinque like this.
  5. DeadEye

read the Email ( Once you fish it out of Junk ) over and over - it will remind you of things you need to remember ...
    ( speaking from Experience :eek: )

6. Steven Martin

Steven Martin Just got it firing! GT di Razza Pura

On my V7II the "MAINT" is reset via one of the dash buttons and key on-off combo, I'm too miserable to google the exact procedure :)

7. davewrites

davewrites Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

If I ride part-time over the Winter, my odometer should reach its first service interval around March-April. A perfect setup for peak riding season in Vancouver.

I should also be buying the ECU flash and an air block-off kit shortly thereafter!

COVID has neutered all vacation planning indefinitely. Glad I have this as a short-term goal to work towards.

Can’t hardly wait!

Wildroamer likes this.
  8. DeadEye

I can’t blame you for being miserable, having to spend your whole life upside down !
    I was in Sydney and Camberra several years ago and it was quite challenging needing to hold onto something when moving around to keep from falling off :eek:.

9. dale decrescenzo

dale decrescenzo Tuned and Synch'ed

All the rice tuners near my seem to love that off throttle popping...

Wildroamer likes this.
  10. DeadEye

Or NonTuned as the case may be ... if the had done a proper / complete vs. hack job if would run Properly and they wouldn’t have that “Entertaining”popping

Brian Vandenbergh likes this.
  11. Brian Vandenbergh

Brian Vandenbergh Finally a Guzzi in the Garage GT di Razza Pura

Jason,
    I did come across that info looking through and reading the various threads. I have purchased it on another order. So much great information here, and to know its facts, real world mechanics and riders, not product rep speculation. The bike was so great factory stock. And I am 100% confident in these mods. Looking forward to an exceptional machine to ride. I also upgraded the suspension with info Todd posted to another a while back. Been riding a long time, this bike will never be sold. Worth every penny. I will post the parts and new results. Glad this forum was created !

12. martinpd

martinpd Just got it firing!

Two questions, if I may. On a completely stock bike with Todd’s basic map - are the O2 sensors turned off and with the map being richer in places is the lifespan of the catcon reduced? Will it eventually block or run too hot?

Mayakovski likes this.
  13. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

They are, and in many places the map is leaner (take guessing out of the equation). Unless there is a massive fueling delivery failure (clogged injectors mostly), the cat-cons are a non-issue.

martinpd and Mayakovski like this.
  14. Luca Alessandro

Luca Alessandro Just got it firing!

Would I still be able to get my bike serviced and inspected (I'm from NYC) if I have done an EVAP and SAS delete?

15. GTM®

Depends on who and how in depth the inspection is. A dealer might know, all others would not.

Luca Alessandro likes this.
  16. DeadEye

What Bike - How Old ?
    New Bike they might Whine -
    Old Bike ( Out of Warranty ) they would probably not care.
    ( Except - if they are bound by Law to ensure that the bike meets Emissions regulations as delivered from the Manufacturer )
    Like a shop in California maybe ?

Don
    PS: I'm just a Rider, like you - I know Nothing John SNOW !

Luca Alessandro likes this.
  17. Luca Alessandro

Luca Alessandro Just got it firing!

Thank you for the reply! I have an '86 V65C handed down from my father but I have no intention of modding that at all.

I will be purchasing a new V7 III Stone (hopefully S or Night Pack) and am considering the ECU re-flash and recommended EVAP and SAS deletes.

Loading the original ECU spec before a dealer visit should be no problem but I wouldn't want to replace the EVAP and SAS every time I look to service my bike. I'm guessing no one here is having to do that though.

If so, would it be worth me learning how to service the bike myself? I've done oil changes on my V65C myself but never transmission or fork oil.

18. GTM®

This ‘ol chesnut... the funny irony is that CA is one of the easiest states. Once it leaves the showroom floor, it never gets looked at ever again, and I mean ever... not even when it changes ownership, etc. no safety inspections, nothing. Period
    As to emissions; All bikes are global bikes. The 49-state bike thing died ~20 years ago now.

19. DeadEye

So what’s the big panic *We* keep hearing about, if you have after market anything under the hood, that’s not @@@@ compliant ?
    Does it only apply to automobiles?
    And
    I wasn’t referring to your shop as one who ensures state emission compliance!

20. DominoDoggy

DominoDoggy Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I am only beginning to learn about the registration requirements of motorcycles, but with automobiles it varies widely from state to state, and even county to county within states. Obviously this is within the US.

Where I live, they don't do emissions testing. In the county I just moved from, they do with automobiles and it involves checking the OBDII system for faults as well as an actual running exhaust test for hydrocarbons or whatever they test for. I have never heard of them hooking up to a motorcycle's OBD system or testing the exhaust, and was curious enough to look and many regions specifically exempt motorcycles.

So, best I could tell you would be to look up the specifics to your individual location.

Even still, I doubt anyone but a dealership's service department could tell if a bike had an aftermarket ECU map. An emissions testing station would most likely only be able to pull fault codes. They might notice an altered EVAP system and they might be savvy enough to know if a particular exhaust was compliant. Fortunately for me, I live in an area where there is no specific noise laws for motorcycles other than "it has to have a muffler" and there is no emissions testing.

GTM® likes this.