Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GTM®, Jul 31, 2015.

1. subin

subin Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Just installed the software and read the stock ECU using the flash tool.

With Windows 10 pro 64-bit, ransomware protection enabled (no other firewall or anti-virus), the software installed without any issue. It did asked to install .Net framework, though. the .Net framework is a common Microsoft software that some computer hardware/software use, so if the GTM-PWG software did not ask you do install it, then it is likely that you already have it installed.

After connecting the Flash Tool to the PC and ran the GTM-PWG for the first time, both the software and the tool's firmware (Fw) were updated to newer version.

Reading the stock ECU file with the Flash Tool was easy and without issue. It took about 5 minutes.
    When downloading the file using the GTM-PWG software from the Flash Tool to the Windows 10, when you save the file to the computer's "Documents" folder (default location), Windows Security prompted that it blocked the GTM-PWG to access this folder (it is possible that I have this folder set as "protected"), so I simply clicked on the Windows notice, went to the Windows Security settings and allow GTM-PWG to access the folder.

I then sent the original file to Todd and he email me back a file.
    Uploading the file back to the flash tool also went without issue, just follow the instruction video Todd sent you. Since my V7 III is currently stock, so Todd sent me the GTMv1 map file. After connecting the flash tool back to the bike, I noticed that there are three maps available. the original, GTMv1 (for bike in stock condition), and GTMv2 (Todd preloaded the GTMv2 map to the flash tool. This is the map for K&N air filter and aftermarket muffler (GTM GP Meg) without the db killer installed).

to be continued...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Brian Vandenbergh and Mayakovski like this.
  2. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

You are chasing something that does not exist.

Air pressure at 600 feet is 99.1 kPa and at 2000 feet is 94.2 kPa.

The difference is insignificant and the motorcycle will run the same both places.

Do yourself a HUGE favor. What you really want is RIDEABILITY.

So, just let Todd tell you what you really NEED and then buy it and put it in.

He’ll get you running the very best it ever will and you can stop worrying about stuff that does not matter.

3. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

#3 yes you can switch back and forth as often as you like but you won't want to once you ride with the new MAP.

4. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Thanks Scott and Raven.
    Congrats and welcome Brian. People often get things in their head that take them down a rabbit hole. The bike is a global bike, and the system is designed to handle elevation changes as delivered; We’re far beyond carburetors in 2020(!). Fueling is restricted for emissions as delivered. Thankfully there’s a fix... Happy to be of help. Read the reviews on the purchase page and this thread. Also, hope you’ll add your info to the Registry.

Brian Vandenbergh likes this.
  5. Wildroamer

Wildroamer Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Pretty sure that for Question # 2, YES you should flash back to stock before bringing it to the dealer for service. I may be mistaken, but better safe than sorry.
    Oh, and you'll quickly find out who to ignore around here, lol, but Todd's reflash is the real deal!

6. Brian Vandenbergh

Brian Vandenbergh Finally a Guzzi in the Garage GT di Razza Pura

Thanks for the info

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  7. Brian Vandenbergh

Thank you for the Info ! I think you are right, I will put it back to factory when I take it in.

Wildroamer likes this.
  8. Brian Vandenbergh

Great Point on safety. ! Antilock brakes are a feature Thats just an intelligent decision to use. without a doubt ! You are correct, it doesn’t stifle the motor. Getting older reflexes slow. I am turning them on for good ! thank you for the sound advice !

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Wildroamer and scottmastrocinque like this.
  9. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Brian,

I am rather direct and to the point and those not used to people like me, often misinterpret me or attribute “tone” to me that actually isn’t there at all. I understand. I myself, find it difficult to understand people who are not direct and to the point.

I didn’t mean to make you feel bad. Your question was fine but you misinterpreted my direct answer.

Apologies but I am never snarky. If I have an opinion, and I choose to express it, it’s just direct and to the point.

Todd said it more eloquently “The bike is a global bike, and the system is designed to handle elevation changes as delivered”.

I’m glad you got the answer you were seeking. Todd sells fantastic fueling solutions which will provide you with the rideability you are seeking.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    GTM® and Brian Vandenbergh like this.
  10. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

Scott, I'm the same way. Way to blunt for some.
    The biggest problem is forgetting some people who have no mechanical experience even though they might have hidden talents and they really want to learn. just a fact of our times. Dad went to the dealer, accepted second-class work many times because he didn't know any better so most never got to learn. "just try and find somebody to balance car tires right". I took my kid's truck into the GMC dealer for an oil change. It came back 1 1/2 quarts over on oil and 2 quarts low on transmission fluid. So much for the experts! I guess sometimes we have to back up and have a bit more patience. Not easy!

11. jwtucker

jwtucker V11 Sport 4 Life

Brian, in case it wasn't on your radar yet, your V7 III with aftermarket exhaust will greatly benefit from the SAS block-off kit, also sold by GTM. The SAS is responsible for much popping once you add a (cat-less) free flowing exhaust.

__Jason

12. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

Funny you should mention the popping, I just did the SAS removal Saturday night and indeed the those pops when backing off throttle are gone,
    I was sort of getting used to them ;)

Wildroamer and scottmastrocinque like this.
  13. DeadEye

read the Email ( Once you fish it out of Junk ) over and over - it will remind you of things you need to remember ...
    ( speaking from Experience :eek: )

14. Steven Martin

Steven Martin Just got it firing! GT di Razza Pura

On my V7II the "MAINT" is reset via one of the dash buttons and key on-off combo, I'm too miserable to google the exact procedure :)

15. davewrites

davewrites Just got it firing! GT Contributor

If I ride part-time over the Winter, my odometer should reach its first service interval around March-April. A perfect setup for peak riding season in Vancouver.

I should also be buying the ECU flash and an air block-off kit shortly thereafter!

COVID has neutered all vacation planning indefinitely. Glad I have this as a short-term goal to work towards.

Can’t hardly wait!

Wildroamer likes this.
  16. DeadEye

I can’t blame you for being miserable, having to spend your whole life upside down !
    I was in Sydney and Camberra several years ago and it was quite challenging needing to hold onto something when moving around to keep from falling off :eek:.

17. dale decrescenzo

dale decrescenzo Tuned and Synch'ed

All the rice tuners near my seem to love that off throttle popping...

Wildroamer likes this.
  18. DeadEye

Or NonTuned as the case may be ... if the had done a proper / complete vs. hack job if would run Properly and they wouldn’t have that “Entertaining”popping

19. Brian Vandenbergh

Jason,
    I did come across that info looking through and reading the various threads. I have purchased it on another order. So much great information here, and to know its facts, real world mechanics and riders, not product rep speculation. The bike was so great factory stock. And I am 100% confident in these mods. Looking forward to an exceptional machine to ride. I also upgraded the suspension with info Todd posted to another a while back. Been riding a long time, this bike will never be sold. Worth every penny. I will post the parts and new results. Glad this forum was created !

davewrites, GTM® and jwtucker like this.