Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Bob Ponticelli

Bob Ponticelli Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

FWIW-I did this in the past 2 weeks. I plugged the power clips first then the ECU. Not sure if this was proper but did successfully load my new map. The key does need to be on to read the map. My bike took a good 20 minutes. The load of the new map was 7-8 minutes.

Hope this helps a little.

Moto_Max and MasterKraus like this.
  2. MasterKraus

MasterKraus Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Perfect, just got it all sorted and the file sent to Todd. Thanks!

-Chris

BenRCMC likes this.
  3. Greg from the Shire

Greg from the Shire Just got it firing!

Did the reflash this morning on my factory stock V7II special. Everything went well, and just as others mentioned before, it became a completely different (much better) bike.
    Only one add, when first start the software on the PC, run it as administrator. Otherwise during the update process it stops working. It took me half an hour to figure out what the problem was.

hody166 and BenRCMC like this.
  4. jprodun

jprodun Just got it firing!

Hey all,

Got my tool and saved the stock map yesterday.

Today, plugging it in my PC and it doesn't show. Meaning i get the sound that it's plugged in, but the device is nowhere to be found on the PC...

Thanks

5. jprodun

To answer my own question and to share with everyone else, the problem is that I need an older computer... Apparently the new 3.0 type usb ports would not work with the older 2.0 type the tool is using...

hody166 likes this.
  6. jprodun

None of the computers I've connected it to have recognized it so far. Neither new or oldish... Am I doing something wrong? Connected it to a computer via USB port, shows that it's connected, but stays in Unspecified category under Devices and Printers. No options to activate it or such. Just stays there.

Thanks

7. Bob Ponticelli

Bob Ponticelli Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Did you install the software sent via email link?

8. Moto_Max

Moto_Max Cruisin' Guzzisti

Will this programmer box hook up to a Android tablet? I don't have a PC. Or is it any cheaper if I can get it done at your shop Todd?

9. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

It will not. Contact me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

10. jprodun

Alrighty! Here it comes!

So to start, I want to thank Todd for his impeccable customer support. The problem I had (see above) was resolved within minutes and Todd sent me the revised map within half an hour of when I've sent him the stock one! Your customer care Todd is next to none! Appreciate the assistance very much!

Now to the tool. Took about 12 minutes to download the stock map onto the tool and about 7-8 minutes to upload the revised map along with TPS and auto-learn resets. Nothing difficult or very involving in this process. Pretty much a plug and play, just like everybody likes it.

This morning, after uploading the map onto ECU, I've embarked on my "or so much fun every time" commute to work. Immediately you feel like you are on a different bike. If not for all the great little, and some not so little, noises the little Guzzi makes, I would think I've switched to a different motorcycle. The throttle is so smooth, I couldn't believe it, but I see myself getting used to it very fast and believe that the bikes should come this smooth from the factory. But they, most likely, have their reasons for making it the way it is. Power delivery is smooth and constant, I can now cruise in first gear and low rpms (NYC rush hour problems) in traffic, as suppose to the previously experienced jerkiness and throttle lag in those conditions. No dead spots during acceleration - priceless! The pipes have become quieter, still can't believe it's possible, but almost no backfires (definitely no shotgun pops) and the popping on deceleration has decreased as well. Still get some, but I can live with what I have after upgrade as suppose to gunfire I've had before. The bike seems to be running a lot cooler too. I accidentally touched the pipes when I arrived and didn't burn myself, so I had to touch them again to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Even the shifting has become a lot smoother! I don't have the "try to shift into first" or "let's how fast you can find neutral" problems first 10 minutes after the cold start.

All in all - I'm really happy with this upgrade and would definitely recommend it to anyone who has issues or dislikes the throttle response and power delivery of the stock bike.

Thanks to Todd and the rest, and happy riding to you all!

hody166, scudracer, joejacobi and 5 others like this.
  11. grinmaul

grinmaul Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for the report, i have my wife's v7 on the charger now, will try to start this process tonight, nice to hear so many positive reports on this.

I am thinking of just getting the new map right away and just not installing it until after our ride out to wash the bikes, that way she can feel the difference and understand why i spent so much on what in her opinion is a perfectly fine running bike:)

hody166, TASH566 and Moto_Max like this.
  12. King of Fleece

King of Fleece Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Just a reminder of how well this service worked for me.
    Yesterday was a great day-one of the first of spring-so out I go. ALL day I marveled at how perfect my 15 V7 with Augostini pipes runs. Perfect on or off throttle, never any decel popping, starts and idles superb.

Couldn't be more pleased.

THX Todd. Well done.

hody166, pokeyjoe and GT-Rx® like this.
  13. grinmaul

grinmaul Tuned and Synch'ed

i still have yet to program my wifes, but i will kinda miss the decel popping:) i do love the sound of her bike while riding just off the side and behind her.

Glad you'r so happy with it.

hody166 likes this.
  14. Moto_Max

Moto_Max Cruisin' Guzzisti

I know I will miss mine too! But I'm sure I'm going to love the smooth acceleration and idle and cold starts after the remap.

hody166 likes this.
  15. GEO

GEO Tuned and Synch'ed

I got it .When I find time I'll download , test bike and let you know.Thanks.

16. GEO

GEO Tuned and Synch'ed

It is a blast, much better throttle response, sweet power delivery and no cold start hesitation during throttle opening at all. It's so good from cold you cannot actually tell when the bike has been wormed up.
    The best feature is -for me- after approaching a bend and ease at the throttle to turn in,when open it again you instantly feel the power ,without any delay followed by abrupt response as before.That alone makes the bike much much more pleasing to ride in bends (and faster) .
    To sum it up "money well spent".

hody166 and Moto_Max like this.
  17. GEO

GEO Tuned and Synch'ed

Do you advise to install a free air flow filter now? The bike is equipped with Arrows end cans with removed baffles.

18. GEO

GEO Tuned and Synch'ed

Todd furter to the question above I would like to confirm that nothing happens when just run a simple diagnostic check during dealer services.

19. mwrenn

mwrenn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I got my ECU flash tool the other day. Followed the instructions and downloaded the current map from my bike. Emailed it to Todd and had the replacement map back from him in about 15 minutes. Put the map on the ECU tool, plugged it into the bike, and downloaded it. The whole process was super easy, took about an hour from opening the box, to having an awesome running V7II!

The bike before the flash was barely adequate, anemic and rough running. Now it fires right up, smooth idle, and really sets you back in the seat when you twist it up. The acceleration is so effortless now, like a different motorcycle. All I can say is that it makes me smile every time I take off from a light, or go to pass on the highway. Just awesome! Kudos to Todd for making a great product! Worth every penny.

hody166, GT-Rx® and Poppe like this.
  20. Joe Kletch

Joe Kletch Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I finally have enough miles on the bike to comment: after the ECU flash I have a renewed love for the bike. I'm just going to say ditto to everything already stated above. Best money I spent on the bike. Thanks Todd!