Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Dan Porges

Dan Porges Just got it firing!

Todd's email says he is traveling so hoping maybe someone on here can help me out. I followed all the appropriate steps, updated the unit with the PC software, connected it to the bike, followed the prompts and confirmed the key was on when asked. Then a few seconds go by as it shows its reading and it stops and gives me an error message: "Error Communicating With ECU, Try Again".

This has happened every time, not sure if there is something I am doing wrong or if anyone had similar experiences?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Joe Kletch

Joe Kletch Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Are you using the bikes battery? I had a similar issue when I didn't.

3. Dan Porges

I am, I have tried rebooting the bike, rebooting the unit, about to try reupdating it on the PC again too

4. My name is Jeff

My name is Jeff Cruisin' Guzzisti

The lead that plugs into the programmer box should have 3 pins on the end that plugs into
    The Ecu lead under the seat.
    What can happen is one of these pins can slide back when plugged in and not make proper contact.
    So Check in the plug to see that the 3 pins are all same length as one of the pins might have
    Slid back and is not making contact.
    If this is the problem just pull the rubber boot back and give the pin a push.

5. Dan Porges

Looks like the one I received is for the other ECU. I have the older bike so not sure if it can be fixed or needs to be exchanged

6. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

If the box is for a different ecu than what is in your bike it will abort.

7. Dan Porges

Yep, that's what is happening.

8. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Dan, you'll need a new box. Sorry about that. I'll have to look at my notes on what was ordered. Regardless we'll get it straightened out.

9. GT-Rx®

Yes. The box can hold 5 total maps. However, let me stress that this is not something I want to do as it can be hugely detrimental if wrong. Please, email me for corrections. Posting here isnt helpful at all, as I can't keep up with posts here.

10. Dan Porges

Thanks Todd. I can send this one back, is it just the box itself or all the wires and such too? If I can just send the box and swap just that I can ship it out today if you can let me know when you can ship out the replacement

11. GT-Rx®

Box only, and I'll follow up via email. I am not able to constantly communicate here via the Forum, as stated many times now.

12. Jenko

Jenko Tuned and Synch'ed

These posts are exactly the reason why I'm reluctant to do the remapping thing. Give me an engine and gearbox, set of carbs (remember them?) and I'll happily rebuild it, no problem.
    Anything to do with computers, androids, usb, or any of that junk and I know it's a one way trip to stress-ville!
    Just ordered a set of Mistrals for my V7ii Racer, together with a K&N filter, so I'm hoping they'll just work ok without any of that messing.
    If not, it will be a huge problem, as I haven't found anyone in UK who can do the remapping for Guzzis, and dealers don't want to know.
    When I did a similar modification to my Bonneville, it took me about half a day to change exhausts, modify the airbox, remove the AIS and O2 sensors, and then a further 2 days to remap the thing. I'm really hoping I don't have to do that with the Guzzi.

hody166 likes this.
  13. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-v7-ecu-re-flash-tool/ can't get much easier then this product. Tell him your mods order it and follow the instructions for loading the new map. Or run it with mods and no fueling adjustments and risk wrecking your bike. I had to remove my ecu and send it and even that was easy and I never did anything like it before.

14. Jenko

Jenko Tuned and Synch'ed

I get what you're saying, but if you had to approach it with my computer knowledge (ie virtually nil), you may not see it as easy. Nuts and bolts and mechanical items are easy- I can usually work out how things work mechanically. But put a screen in front of me with a load of techno mumbo jumbo on it, and I'm lost. I can't relate that to what is happening on the bike.
    And if I lived in the States I wouldn't hesitate to send the ECU to Todd, but imagine the postal costs from UK, and then the risk of it being damaged or lost in transit!
    It's a problem, and I do agree with you that it potentially, possibly may cause damage to an engine, so if anyone in UK is reading this, and knows where to get the ECU remapped, I'd be very grateful for any info.

15. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

If you buy the programer box you don't have to send your ecu so no worries of it being lost. computer knowledge is the same for me I had to email him a few times and have him walk me through a few things. He seems to ship all over I'm sure he could figure that part out.

16. Jenko

Jenko Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated. I'll bear all the options in mind, as I don't want to run it too lean and damage anything.

17. mwrenn

mwrenn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Just thought I'd put in my .02 cents here. If you install the Mistrals and a K&N filter, your bike will run too lean. The stock Guzzi fuel map just will not be capable of adjusting for the increased airflow. It probably will not ruin your engine, but it will run poorly enough that you will not want to ride it. I tried the same thing with Agostini pipes and a K&N filter. There was lots of popping on deceleration, and excessively lean hesitation when opening the throttle.

The only real way to make the bike run right with the modification your considering is to re-program the ECU.

Do you have any tech savvy friends that could help you?

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I actually considered removing all the electronic parts from my 2010 V7 Classic, and putting carbs on it...lol.
    Once I studied up some on how the fuel injection worked, and I got with Todd for advice on modifiying it, I became a lot more comfortable working with it.
    It just took some time and effort, but it was worth it in the end.

Basically Todd's solution is to send you a box that you hook to your battery for power, and plug in a wire to the data port on the bike. The box will read the fuel map on the bike. You then plug the box into a computer and email the map to Todd. (I got my wife to help me with this because I suck at attaching files to an email). Todd will email a new fuel map to you. You copy this map to the box, plug it into your bike, and download it.

Then go ride your bike, it's done!!

The whole process, including emailing Todd and getting a reply took me about 45 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    hody166 and Poppe like this.
  18. Jenko

Jenko Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for the advice. I have faith in Todds product and customer service, I just don't have much faith in my IT prowess!
    I'm looking at the Rexxer, as another forum user has sent me details of a UK Rexxer workshop that's not too far from me. I could just take it to them and they can do it.
    I contacted Boosterplug, but they don't make one for the V7ii. I'll just post their reply here. . .

"Sorry Steve, we can not make a BoosterPlug for the newer V7 Guzzi’s.
    Moto Guzzi decided to use a special injection system from Piaggio on the second generation V7 engines, and the air temperature sensor (where the BoosterPlug is connected) is integrated in the throttle valve housing with other sensors, and we can not isolate the signal.
    Best Regards
    Jens Lyck"

19. jpv7

jpv7 Tuned and Synch'ed

I just returned from giving my newly programmed 2016 V7ii Special a proper thrashing - 500 km of backroads. Man that was fun! Pulls like a champ coming out of the corners..

Background - Bought bike new along with open mufflers (Hindle Canada, eh?) and filter. Didn't even ride it once with the stock mufflers...lol. Dealer said it would run ok, and assured me that the latest stock map was in it. I was skeptical, as I've owned a few air cooled Ducatis. I had planned to do re-flash, but my pockets were empty after buying the bike.

Sure enough, that dreaded decal popping and even some backfiring during warm-up. I also noticed a flat spot around 4200rpm. I thought I could live with it, but I knew how a properly mapped bike would run...

I emailed Todd, and he even knew what a Hindle muffler was (in terms of flow and sound, it's basically similar to a Mistral without Db killer). After sending him the stock map, he had a new one back to me in short order. Sure beats installing a fuel controller like a Power Commander. As a bonus, I also keep the programmer which will let me see codes if I have any issues later.

The bike starts without issue now. I can also ride it right away. It pulls great right through the rev range and is a lot of fun to ride now. It's still a V7, but now it runs the way it is supposed to.

Thanks Todd for your prompt service and replys to my questions.

hody166 and GT-Rx® like this.
  20. Jenko

Jenko Tuned and Synch'ed

Ok, I've taken a huge leap of faith and ordered the reflash box computer thingamyjig. I'm sure if I did the one on my Bonnie, and that's still running fine after 3 thrashing years, I can do this one.
    I'll keep the thread posted.
    Wish me luck. Actually you might want to wish Todd luck, cos my crap computer skills are going to REALLY test his customer service patience to its limit!
    Have to cancel the dyno run and reflashing with the tuners over here. In the end, I changed my mind as I really wanted a Guzzi expert to sort it, and these other guys here in UK, although Im sure they're good, mainly deal with Jap race kit.
    Also I was swayed by all of the positive feedback on the forums here.

hody166 and joejacobi like this.