Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Servin44

Servin44 Just got it firing!

I recently finished using the ECU Reflash tool and installed the black ceramic coated 2 >1 exhaust system.

Many have posted detailed reviews and install stories but I wanted to share my positive experience here in case anyone is still on the fence.

Nothing but a big smile on my face during my daily commute to work now (cross San Francisco everyday). After the reflash my throttle response in 1st - 3rd feels much more lively and the sound coming from the exhaust system is...pretty insane. Somehow sounds exotic and throaty at the same time. In short, my stoke and excitement for riding the bike has come back.

The process for using the reflash was straight forward, biggest issue for me was finding a friend with a PC to run the .exe file!

Only watch outs for the install of the 2 >1 is that the black ceramic coating can scratch pretty easily and I wish I had a buddy around to help me be on both sides of the bike at the same time.

Shot Todd a few emails over the weekend during install and he was super responsive and answered my questions in a timely manner.

Couple of pics of the bike here for you.

IMG_5876.JPG IMG_5875.JPG IMG_5874.JPG

2. Stradagene

Stradagene Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Damn, that's sweet looking!

GerryP likes this.
  3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Man, beauty! Thanks for the post!!!

Servin44 likes this.
  4. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

GT delivered a 'tweaked' map file to me this morning. I flashed the ECU with it and then took Racer for a lovely little 60+ mile romp, testing in dense, slow traffic, high speed highway, bimbling along, etc. Suffice it to say, I think it's right on the money now: very responsive, beautiful startup and warm up behavior, clean strong pull through midrange right to redline. (Tested up to redline in 4th, ran out of room for 5th and 6th. Redline in 4th means you're already moving quite fast...!)

The Agostinis sound perfect with this map too. They hit just the right tones with the dB-killers in, and the power is such that there's really no need to pull them out other than to make more noise.

This is now Racer as hoped for. :D

G

hody166, Trout and GT-Rx® like this.
  5. Godfrey

My further rides on Racer the next day confirmed my initial impressions and reinforced them:
    Wow, this new map is perfect!

Oh yes, this time I got to redline in 5th before running out of road. Suffice it to say that I don't feel any desperate need to test Racer to redline in 6th, although we'll probably make that journey at some point. :D

Thank you again, GT!

GT-Rx® likes this.
  6. GT-Rx®

Excellent, my pleasure. Thanks for the feedback and posts.

7. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Well, where do I begin? I reflashed my ecu (totally stock V7iii Special) with Todd's new map and went for a 135Km jaunt through the countryside around where I live. Had to go into town at first for a couple of things, so my initial experience was a short stint of stop/start holiday traffic through the middle of town. First up, the smoothness of throttle roll on in slow, low gear situations was a galaxy apart from standard. No snatching or jerking of any kind. I could allow the revs to drop all the way down to about 1,500 rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, gently apply throttle and have the bike accelerate away with the traffic. This isn't how I ride, just testing how smoothly the power is able to be applied. No snatch, no jerk. Just smooth , gentle application of power and the bike moves on. Unbelievable!! Prior to this I got all sorts of ugly jerking and snatching below about 2,400rpm.

Just for the sake of testing this aspect I went to a large shopping centre car park to play with the ultra-low speed handling. And handling is what I mean. Because the power comes on so smoothly and predictably the very low speed handling is improved about 200%. No need to slip the clutch even. Fully predictable right down to 1,500rpm in 1st with the clutch fully engaged. Tight, slow cornering made easy.

Suburban riding is equally improved, with the power so beautifully predictable and smooth. I found myself in1 higher gear often, just coz the bike was so happy to do it. After today suburban corners in 3rd are my new norm.

Out on the open road I tried various speeds from 80 to 110Kph with a couple of overtakes up to about 145Kph. The smoothness of the power delivery and roll on was just as lovely and smooth as at lower speeds, but even stock it was half fine above about 3,500rpm.

There are other factors at play too. From idle onwards the engine is noticeably smoother. There's definitely less vibration throughout the entire rev range. There are no harsh vibes at any revs now, where there was a rough band around about 3,400 up to about 4,100rpm before the reflash. At mid speeds (say, 60 to 90Kph) where the engine is running like clockwork and wind noise is still low I was lulled by the dulcet tones of happy little tappets, perfectly adjusted, serenading me with their "ticka tacka ticka tacka" . A most reassuring sound. When I stopped at 1 point I was also struck by the lack of heat radiating from the engine. I wish I had one of those infra-red point and shoot thermometers to provide empirical data - but I don't! However, the engine was "a lot" cooler, how ever you wish define "a lot".

As I rode home the thought running through my head was just how much this ride reminded me of my years on 1970s and early 80s Beemer R models, only this one handles beautifully as well. The sound, the feel, the smooth torque across the rev range and the entirely unfussed cruising manners will hopefully make this an outstanding long distance tourer for many years to come.

If you think your stock V7 runs just fine off the showroom floor, you're wrong! Bite the bullet and make it run just fine.

Todd, you're an absolute wizard! Can't wait to get the exhaust system on. I guess I won't be listening to my tappets after that.

8. Godfrey

Oh yeah, baby. Get it right, and its very, very right. Add the Agostinis and GT's customized map ... motorcycle sex is just a flick of the wrist away. After some million-plus miles of riding over the past forty-some years, fettling and tuning bikes to the best possible, I have only rarely experienced a bike that runs as well as Racer does now.

The Agos with the db-killers in make just the right level of noise for me. I can hear every nuance of the engine, but when I twist the loud control at the appropriate revs the song coming out the tail end eclipses everything else and literally makes music; you can feel the rear wheel dig into its traction peak sweeping through a corner under power. Just that is such a rush! :D

(You know, the fork on Racer is a bit crude suspension-wise compared to its glorious Öhlins rear suspension. But it hardly matters for most riding: you control the acceleration, deceleration, steering, and dynamics of the bike with the rear wheel and the throttle, the front wheel just guides it gently and initiates the turn, applies most of the final braking force when the fork is nearly fully compressed anyway. At some financially crazy moment, I'll likely opt for GT's full Öhlins front end too, just to make Racer completely happy, but I fear then I'll ride like even more of a twenty-year old maniac than I've gotten back to already. It's a personal failing ... :))

Roose, hody166, MOLT and 1 other person like this.
  9. roadscum

roadscum Cruisin' Guzzisti

I prefer sex with a female partner, not by flicking my wrist. Yikes!!! :(

Calm down, relax, take deep breath, it'll a work out for ya. It's likely a failing you'll be able to overcome by practicing a little wrist constraint. :rofl:
    Paul

Poppe likes this.
  10. Godfrey

Um, motorcycle sex is done with the throttle and the full body ... At least that's how it was explained to me at my first road racing track school about, oh, 1977.

Human sex is done between consenting partners using whatever parts of the body they deem appropriate. That's what my sex education class in High School taught me in 1968.

There's a difference. Which one you prefer at any given moment, well, that's up to you to figure out. :D

Poppe likes this.
  11. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I'm honestly scared to ever ride a guzzi again with out GT's mapping. I desperately want the v85 but I won't get one until I know GT has work for it like an exhaust and a map. Damn, thinking about that thing hitting terrain with a few mods. Going to be sick.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  12. GT-Rx®

Well thanks and count on both on the V85 Adventure. I will get one of the first ones in SoCal and get to work, then it goes into my rental fleet.

B.Avant and Poppe like this.
  13. King of Fleece

King of Fleece Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

My 2015 V7 with Agostini pipes was mapped by GuzziTech. One word. Perfect.

hody166, Poppe and GT-Rx® like this.
  14. Dinsdale Piranha

A few weeks on and still happy as a pig in shyte. The around town slow speed manners still amaze me.

A few more bits in the chute now, from Todd. When they arrive the Gutz will come off the road for a day or 2 (or3) for semi-major mod program. Tank off first to change the internal filter. While it's off I'll remove the tank breather/canister system and the forced air system. Bits for that are on their way. I'll also install a new, small after-market fuse panel with ccts for my Tom Tom, phone charger, a cigarette lighter power socket and wiring for extra driving lights - yet to come. Relays where appropriate. On that note, I'll rewire the horn via a relay, ready for a real horn in the future.

Finally, I have one of Todd's beautifully crafted 2>2 exhaust systems, with the GP Megs to install. I'm going to do that during my mod program. When that arrived I assumed that it was a special one to mount on my living room wall. I really don't understand people buying any exhaust systems other than Todd's. I've seen and owned a lot of stainless exhaust systems over the past 54 years of riding, but nothing at all of the quality of Todd's stuff. The only ones that have come close are from Staintune, but with Todd's ones you get the added advantage of having them designed, from the ground up, for maximum street performance.

Full disclosure: I've never actually met Todd, nor am on the pay roll.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    hody166, Poppe and GT-Rx® like this.
  15. GT-Rx®

Dins, thanks much for the words. It’s like pulling teeth to get positive things posted here... and more so thanks for the exhaust comments. I build exhaust systems because I tired of spending money on substandard garbage that literally falls apart in a short amount of time if you actually ride it, instead of just look at it. And it shocks me that people spend blindly with companies who don’t bother showing you what it does for power any more.

hody166, scudracer and Stradagene like this.
  16. Dinsdale Piranha

My pleasure. Your stuff is awesome!!

17. Dinsdale Piranha

Got to thinking more deeply today about the fueling mods already done on the otherwise stock bike. I only have "feel" and "arse dyno" to go by unfortunately.

Firstly, I must say that above about 3,500rpm there's no discernible difference. It would appear that the upper half of the rev range was already pretty good.

For the lower half however, there's a quantum shift. I doubt that there's much (if any) more torque or power, but the delivery is entirely changed. I would guess that the torque curve begins to climb both earlier and more evenly and perhaps a little more steeply, where it would flatten out at about the same level as before. That torque carries through well up to near the red line. I'd bet too that the curve is smoother right through the revs too. Coming off idle there's no snatching of any sort. This is a big problem with the stock fueling, making slow speed stuff quite untenable. Now, as I roll the throttle on the drivechain (not literally a chain - I know) backlash takes up and because of the smooth rise in torque the bike moves forward without hesitation , jerking or snatching. In traffic, in the 1st 3 gears I can easily allow the revs to drop as low as 1,400rpm with no ill effect, and still accelerate gently away by simply feeding in a little throttle. Everything happens so smoothly. As you wind in throttle you accelerate away with no fuss of any sort. No hesitation, and no jerking. A whole new bike.

With the new exhaust system I just expect the same - only more-so! More torque, more power and probably more revs to play with too. I'll find this out in a few weeks and report back. Until then, If you haven't fixed your fueling yet you're missing out on the best part of your stock Gutz.

ps some dyno charts, eventually, would be really nice :).

acidlaser, usedtobefast and Godfrey like this.
  18. Godfrey

DP :: Yes.

The GT map for the OEM configuration (OEM-GT) improves the startup and warm up sequence, and makes the bottom end of the power range 'meatier', for lack of a better word, and more consistent. 3000-3500 and up, the performance is about the same ... but I didn't use that range much with either OEM or OEM-GT maps because the engine was still on break-in (4500 rpm limit, self-imposed, with occasional forays up to 5000 rpm or so as the mileage stacked up).

Switching to the Agostini mufflers, the first map (AGO-GT) I received felt like it would work better with the db-killers out—upper end was improved nicely, felt slightly rich—but the engine noise would be more than I was interested in. (I like a nice exhaust note but not so much volume.) With the db-killers in, the new map (AGO-GTdb) is just right: startup is instant, warm up is brief and drivable, bottom end is nicely meatier than the OEM-GT setup with stock pipes, and (now past break-in) the little beast just scream right up to the rev limiter and loves to spin spin spin, giving beautiful, consistent, excellent throttle response everywhere. Every single person who's ridden my bike, coming off whatever carefully tuned and maintained machine they own and ride every day, has commented: "Wow, how did you get the throttle response in this bike to be so perfect?" The engine can be used consistently, reliably everywhere, from chug-chug walking pace in heavy traffic, to blitzing through the wigglies keeping it between 4500 and 6000 rpm.

Thanks again, Todd! Your work has really made Racer shine. :D

I don't really need to see charts and graphs so much when I already have such a well configured engine! :)

G

19. Pspice

Pspice Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Hello Forum,

Just purchased a lightly used 2013 MG V7 Racer. This is my 2nd motorcycle and very happy to own a Moto Guzzi V7. I, too, am relatively new to the engine tuning world. Sorry to bring back a forum from the grave.

The previous owner had GT's ecu update for my motorcycle in the stock configuration. I've read all 9 pages of this forum and my questions are:

1. If I take a phased approach at upgrading my motorcycle (air filter, mufflers, maybe headers down the road), does it really require the ECU to be upgraded each and every step of the way costing hundreds of $$$ for each stepped upgrade? I've read that an ECU upgrade is required just by removing dB Killers in your mufflers - whoa!

2. Can anybody speak from experience, please? Has anybody gotten GT's ECU upgrade for their stock V7 configuration and made upgrades WITHOUT updating the ECU again? If so, what was your experience? Did it compromise rideability in any degree?

Is the ECU that rigid in adapting so something like an air filter change? For cars, changing the intake filter to a less restrictive piece (ie. K&N or AFE for instance) doesn't absolutely, or even strongly suggest, an ECU upgrade. Same goes for changing the car muffler for a straight pipe.

Warm regards forum and thanks for your patience with my naive questions! :)

20. GT-Rx®

Grave? You must have only skimmed the first few posts of each page based on your questions. ;)
    So in addition to your email, I’ll reply here also:
    1. Using scientific data, yes. The ninth post on the first page clearly states I don’t charge for every update.
    2. Covered so many times in this thread, and even in several above, as well as the purchase page.

Also well covered; The ECU is not adaptive. It is a crude ECU/TB developed for, and used on scooters. The manual is available on this website. Car technology is worlds apart.

Plenty of people ignore the science and numbers provided on this site, so in the end, you can do whatever you’d like to try and prove it wrong. I’ve been focused on Guzzi F.I. for almost 20 years. I have most all of my work documented here.

All said, welcome to the Forum, and hope to meet you one day soon. Maybe on a V7 ride.

scudracer likes this.