Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - We're offering FREE shipping on orders over $99 for U.S. customers now through Monday (11/30) midnight PST. Use COVID-20-FREE at checkout on the STORE tab above — Please support small business! We wish the best to everyone; Stay healthy and hope you can get out and ride! Also, see our Newsletter link in the General Chat section below.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GTM®, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

What is the exhaust system on this bike, it looks damn fine? Might have to do that to my Anniversario.

Just ordered my ECU Programmers Box as well. All these comments about how much better than it is than stock has gotten me very concerned. I am not sure my face can take smiling more than it already is. :p

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Trout likes this.
  2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

This is a custom system, which I can do using my header system found here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-v7-iii-2-2-full-ss-exhaust-system/
    You may get a smile headache. ;)

Mayakovski likes this.
  3. HifiSyd

HifiSyd Just got it firing!

Just finished my 16' V7ii's reflash. It's got an Arrow exhaust with the DB killer removed and a K&N Filter.

Prior to the re-flash, I removed the Evap canister and capped/vented the lines. To make a little more room, I removed the bolt under the seat that fastens the gas tank to the frame and raised it up using a roll of masking tape to gain a couple inches of needed room between the intake and cylinders. (Unlike the 13's thru 15's, and 2017's, the 2016's evap cans are stuffed up in between there. I also disconnected the intake on the left side for the same reason. The whole removal process took maybe 25 minutes, and could have been much quicker had this not been my first time doing it.

Once that was done, I Completed the throttle position diagnostic, then uploaded the mod file. I've got my three small kids this week, so I have yet to get a good ride under my belt, but even during a quick trip around the block, I could tell the throttle rolled on more smoothly and the bike felt more... alive? Maybe that's not the best way to describe it, but considering I was grinning from ear to ear after a two minute ride, I'd say job well done!

Thanks so much to Todd for his service and support! My only regret is not adding these mods the first day I brought the bike home. Looking hard at his Stornello mid pipe now! I'll throw in a few pics just in case someone may find them helpful.

file-1.jpeg file-2.jpeg file-3.jpeg file.jpeg

4. Kent

Kent Just got it firing!

UPDATE!!! Starts right up, Idles smooth, no more decal pops! New map is PERFECT!!!!!

Thanks so much Todd for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help me on this one, I greatly appreciate it! This had totally made my day!!!!!

:)

hody166 and Tequilasunriser like this.
  5. Tequilasunriser

Tequilasunriser Just got it firing!

I'd like to do the flash (I already have my unit) but my bike has not been for first service yet, I'm still under 900 miles. Is there any harm in flashing before having the first service or should I wait until after the service to flash? Would the service department catch it and void my warranty?

Also, I'm around 600 miles, would it be okay to service it now or should it be closer to 900?

6. GTM®

Very well covered in the PDF instructions. In short, wait until after your service, and always set it back to stock for dealer services as a dealer overwrite will render the FT useless without a paid reset.
    Svc interval is 1000k/600mi, so the time is now.

hody166, Poppe and Mayakovski like this.
  7. Tequilasunriser

Tequilasunriser Just got it firing!

Doh! I should have read the PDF first. Thanks Todd!

8. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

I did my ECU map upgrade before I brought the bike in for first service, so I specifically asked the manager of the service department at the dealership if I needed to reset the ECU to the factory default map for him to do the service. He said, "I can't see why. There's nothing in a service that I am going to do that's going to change the ECU programming in any way, and I'd be sure to tell you before I did anything like that anyway. If you've put different mufflers on it, it's going to run crappy if you set the map to the original ... why do that? I can't really tune a bike that's running crappy like that anyway..."

I like the guys at this dealership a lot. :)

hody166, Allucaneat, Poppe and 2 others like this.
  9. Jeffrey Clanet

Jeffrey Clanet Just got it firing!

Having a bit of trouble getting my reflash tool to recognize my bike - followed the update procedure but still no luck.

Video:

Any advice would be appreciated - and forgive me if this has already been covered!

10. Mayakovski

As noted in the instructions, DO NOT have the bike running. Do have the key turned on, but do not start the bike. The instructions work, just read them very carefully.

GTM® likes this.
  11. My name is Jeff

My name is Jeff Cruisin' Guzzisti

Hook the unit up without ignition turned on then push on screen to upload map or read your old map then the unit will tell you when to turn the ignition on and off.

Mayakovski likes this.
  12. Mayakovski

Interesting, I do not remember mine telling me when to turn on the ignition. I plugged mine into the bike, waited until the screen powered up and then turned on the ignition, waited a few seconds and then everything worked perfectly.

13. Godfrey

It doesn't matter whether the ignition is on or not when you plug the unit in.

It does matter whether the engine is running, however. The engine should not be running... when it is, the ECU is executing code, running sensors and such, and cannot be updated until it's back to the "power on, ready" state.

Mayakovski likes this.
  14. Oliver Davies

Oliver Davies Just got it firing!

Hi All,

I would appreciate some basic help with reading my ECU.

I have Todd's Flash tool and each time I try to read and download the existing ECU info, ready for re-mapping, I keep getting the error message... "an error occurred while reading data from the ECU. Please try again." I try again but the same message appears each time.
    Just before the error message the screen says "key on and confirm". I would assume this means turn on the ignition with the key, however, I absolutely did not want to try this as it is not described under the 'Operating Instructions' that came with the tool and it clearly states under 'First Use': "the bike should NEVER be running for any part of this process".

What does "Key on and confirm" mean? and, why can't the flash tool read my ECU???

IMG_2089.jpg IMG_2090.jpg IMG_2091.jpg IMG_2092.jpg

15. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

Turn the key on to power up the ECU. Don't start the engine.

Mayakovski likes this.
  16. Oliver Davies

Oliver Davies Just got it firing!

Thanks Raven!
    It was quite obvious but thought I'd check with those in the know.
    Todd has also now updated the operating instructions to make it clearer.

Flash done and throttle calibrated. Whilst there is not a drastic difference, the bike is running smooth and there is less drag on releasing the throttle when in motion.
    Perhaps the SAS and evaporation can do need to come off, although this is more work than I anticipated.

17. GTM®

Drastic differences come from modifications like intake and exhaust. This is an air/fuel correction only. Smoothness and throttle response is all it does really.
    My map is built around the mods I state. ;)

18. Mayakovski

Here is a link to the SAS page and instructions, detailed instructions with pictures on 2nd page. Took me about 2.5 hours and that included removing the fuel tank to make for more work room and light. Not hard at all. :)

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gtm-secondary-air-supply-sas-block-off-kit.18018/

19. Godfrey

I posted the procedure to block off the EVAP and vent the tank normally a while ago. It's here:
    https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/evap-removal-from-v7iii-racer.17879/

Takes about 20 minutes max. I haven't yet removed the canister, but that's about a three minute job (just unbolt, pull the unused portion of the vacuum line, and throw far away...). Just haven't gotten a round tuit. :D

Mayakovski likes this.
  20. DETRoadster

DETRoadster Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Hi All, hoping someone can lend some advice with the GTM Flash Tool. I have a 2014 V7 Racer. Downloaded the the software to a PC, no problem. Connected up the FT to the PC and allowed it to update. Seemed to go fine; no errors. Connected the FT to the bike and followed the instructions in the manual to read and store the stock file to the FT. it prompts me to verify the ignition is on, which is is (ignition on, engine NOT running), it begins to read the ECU and then gives me the following error: "ERROR - ECU in Recovery, reading not allowed." I've double checked the diagnostic port to make sure the two wires are in good shape and the pins are not pushed back. All looks good there. I also attempted to use some of the other functions on the programmer to see if it could read data from the ECU. Under the "Diagnostic" tab there's selections for EOBD, Vehicle List, and My Vehicle. EOBD and Vehicle list both return "Warning! Function not available" while "My Vehicle" simply chimes at me when I press the button.

Any idea folks?! Thanks!