• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-motocycles-v7-v9-ecu-re-flash-tool - it can't get much easier then this product. Tell him your mods order it and follow the instructions for loading the new map. Or run it with mods and no fueling adjustments and risk wrecking your bike. I had to remove my ecu and send it and even that was easy and I never did anything like it before.

I get what you're saying, but if you had to approach it with my computer knowledge (ie virtually nil), you may not see it as easy. Nuts and bolts and mechanical items are easy- I can usually work out how things work mechanically. But put a screen in front of me with a load of techno mumbo jumbo on it, and I'm lost. I can't relate that to what is happening on the bike.
And if I lived in the States I wouldn't hesitate to send the ECU to Todd, but imagine the postal costs from UK, and then the risk of it being damaged or lost in transit!
It's a problem, and I do agree with you that it potentially, possibly may cause damage to an engine, so if anyone in UK is reading this, and knows where to get the ECU remapped, I'd be very grateful for any info.

Further to the above posts, has anyone had any experience with the Boosterplug?
If you buy the programer box you don't have to send your ecu so no worries of it being lost. computer knowledge is the same for me I had to email him a few times and have him walk me through a few things. He seems to ship all over I'm sure he could figure that part out.

If you buy the programer box you don't have to send your ecu so no worries of it being lost. computer knowledge is the same for me I had to email him a few times and have him walk me through a few things. He seems to ship all over I'm sure he could figure that part out.

Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated. I'll bear all the options in mind, as I don't want to run it too lean and damage anything.

Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated. I'll bear all the options in mind, as I don't want to run it too lean and damage anything.
Just thought I'd put in my .02 cents here. If you install the Mistrals and a K&N filter, your bike will run too lean. The stock Guzzi fuel map just will not be capable of adjusting for the increased airflow. It probably will not ruin your engine, but it will run poorly enough that you will not want to ride it. I tried the same thing with Agostini pipes and a K&N filter. There was lots of popping on deceleration, and excessively lean hesitation when opening the throttle.

The only real way to make the bike run right with the modification your considering is to re-program the ECU.

Do you have any tech savvy friends that could help you?

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I actually considered removing all the electronic parts from my 2010 V7 Classic, and putting carbs on it...lol.
Once I studied up some on how the fuel injection worked, and I got with Todd for advice on modifiying it, I became a lot more comfortable working with it.
It just took some time and effort, but it was worth it in the end.

Basically Todd's solution is to send you a box that you hook to your battery for power, and plug in a wire to the data port on the bike. The box will read the fuel map on the bike. You then plug the box into a computer and email the map to Todd. (I got my wife to help me with this because I suck at attaching files to an email). Todd will email a new fuel map to you. You copy this map to the box, plug it into your bike, and download it.

Then go ride your bike, it's done!!

The whole process, including emailing Todd and getting a reply took me about 45 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd put in my .02 cents here. If you install the Mistrals and a K&N filter, your bike will run too lean. The stock Guzzi fuel map just will not be capable of adjusting for the increased airflow. It probably will not ruin your engine, but it will run poorly enough that you will not want to ride it. I tried the same thing with Agostini pipes and a K&N filter. There was lots of popping on deceleration, and excessively lean hesitation when opening the throttle.

The only real way to make the bike run right with the modification your considering is to re-program the ECU.

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I actually considered removing all the electronic parts from my 2010 V7 Classic, and putting carbs on it...lol.
Once I studied up some on how the fuel injection worked, and I got with Todd for advice on modifiying it, I became a lot more comfortable working with it.

Basically Todd's solution is to send you a box that you hook to your battery for power, and plug in a wire to the data port on the bike. The box will read the fuel map on the bike. You then plug the box into a computer and email the map to Todd. (I got my wife to help me with this because I suck at attaching files to an email). Todd will email a new fuel map to you. You copy this map to the box, plug it into your bike, and download it.

The whole process, including emailing Todd and getting a reply took me about 45 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I have faith in Todds product and customer service, I just don't have much faith in my IT prowess!
I'm looking at the Rexxer, as another forum user has sent me details of a UK Rexxer workshop that's not too far from me. I could just take it to them and they can do it.
I contacted Boosterplug, but they don't make one for the V7ii. I'll just post their reply here. . .

"Sorry Steve, we can not make a BoosterPlug for the newer V7 Guzzi’s.
Moto Guzzi decided to use a special injection system from Piaggio on the second generation V7 engines, and the air temperature sensor (where the BoosterPlug is connected) is integrated in the throttle valve housing with other sensors, and we can not isolate the signal.
Best Regards
Jens Lyck"

I just returned from giving my newly programmed 2016 V7ii Special a proper thrashing - 500 km of backroads. Man that was fun! Pulls like a champ coming out of the corners..

Background - Bought bike new along with open mufflers (Hindle Canada, eh?) and filter. Didn't even ride it once with the stock mufflers...lol. Dealer said it would run ok, and assured me that the latest stock map was in it. I was skeptical, as I've owned a few air cooled Ducatis. I had planned to do re-flash, but my pockets were empty after buying the bike.

Sure enough, that dreaded decal popping and even some backfiring during warm-up. I also noticed a flat spot around 4200rpm. I thought I could live with it, but I knew how a properly mapped bike would run...

I emailed Todd, and he even knew what a Hindle muffler was (in terms of flow and sound, it's basically similar to a Mistral without Db killer). After sending him the stock map, he had a new one back to me in short order. Sure beats installing a fuel controller like a Power Commander. As a bonus, I also keep the programmer which will let me see codes if I have any issues later.

The bike starts without issue now. I can also ride it right away. It pulls great right through the rev range and is a lot of fun to ride now. It's still a V7, but now it runs the way it is supposed to.

Thanks Todd for your prompt service and replys to my questions.

Hope this helps.

Ok, I've taken a huge leap of faith and ordered the reflash box computer thingamyjig. I'm sure if I did the one on my Bonnie, and that's still running fine after 3 thrashing years, I can do this one.
I'll keep the thread posted.
Wish me luck. Actually you might want to wish Todd luck, cos my crap computer skills are going to REALLY test his customer service patience to its limit!
Have to cancel the dyno run and reflashing with the tuners over here. In the end, I changed my mind as I really wanted a Guzzi expert to sort it, and these other guys here in UK, although Im sure they're good, mainly deal with Jap race kit.
Also I was swayed by all of the positive feedback on the forums here.

My raTi has an ECU Todd reflashed a few months back and the bike has run perfect ever since, 8/33 gear set and smooth 55mph in 5th.
My 2014 V7C ran ok but had that leanness, long warm up, slight hesitation off idle when letting the clutch out. So I ordered the ECU reader from Todd and it came today. I followed the instructions, updated the device, connected to the bike, loaded my original map, emailed it to Todd, got a modified map 20 minutes later, loaded it to the ECU, reset the TPS and one other thing per his instructions and the bike runs simply perfect. No popping on decel, no hiccups or burps, no lean or rich feeling, all just right.
Very pleased with the results. Yeah, maybe something else would work too, but I have had great luck with Todd's work and about 5 reflashed ECUs later.

JB

V71

My raTi has an ECU Todd reflashed a few months back and the bike has run perfect ever since, 8/33 gear set and smooth 55mph in 5th.
My 2014 V7C ran ok but had that leanness, long warm up, slight hesitation off idle when letting the clutch out. So I ordered the ECU reader from Todd and it came today. I followed the instructions, updated the device, connected to the bike, loaded my original map, emailed it to Todd, got a modified map 20 minutes later, loaded it to the ECU, reset the TPS and one other thing per his instructions and the bike runs simply perfect. No popping on decel, no hiccups or burps, no lean or rich feeling, all just right.
Very pleased with the results. Yeah, maybe something else would work too, but I have had great luck with Todd's work and about 5 reflashed ECUs later.

JB

View attachment 10683

Side note - that screen is sexy AF. Where did you get it?

Folks,

I am pleased to report that my '14 V7 with Agostini pipes sounds and performs properly now that I've upgraded the ECU. Many thanks to Todd for providing an excellent product. As others have stated previously, this is how the bike is supposed to be. Now the job is to cram in as many kilometers as we can before the season ends!

Ciao!
Doug

It's looking like my new V7 and ECU box are going to arrive on the same day! Since I've never even ridden a MotoGuzzi before, I plan on putting a few miles bone stock just so I can feel the improvement from the basic tune. I'll be installing a new exhaust over the winter. In the meantime, can anyone tell me if I will be able to email the file from a MAC, or will I need a windows PC to send the file?

Thanks.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me if I will be able to email the file from a MAC, or will I need a windows PC to send the file?
Per the order page, PC only. There is a PC program that must be interfaced before you plug into the bike.

Understood. I assumed the "PC only" referred to the software running on the box. No worries, at this point I'll buy a PC laptop if I have to! Thanks.

From the purchase page... "Here’s how it works; Interface the Flash Tool (FT) to your PC using the included Windows (only) GT-PWG program and allow the FT to update online, then disconnect. Then plug in to your bikes diagnostic port using the supplied cable and read your ECU. When the read is done, reconnect to your PC with the GT-PWG program save the ECU file to your computer, and send to us to revise. We will send the new file back for you to upload to the tool, and flash your ECU."

Just wanted to leave a note here.

I had a maintenance lite come on earlier than expected and just ignored it for the next 200 miles until the check engine lit up, So I went ahead and reset it, but almost immediately realized that the bike was running differently. Went ahead and ran the tool again and all is good again. I must say it again, what a difference!

Now, is it suppose to happen or not? Is it suppose to reset the ECU when you run the sequence to reset the maintenance light?

Thanks

Just wanted to leave a note here. I had a maintenance lite come on earlier than expected and just ignored it for the next 200 miles until the check engine lit up, So I went ahead and reset it, but almost immediately realized that the bike was running differently. Went ahead and ran the tool again and all is good again. I must say it again, what a difference! Now, is it suppose to happen or not? Is it suppose to reset the ECU when you run the sequence to reset the maintenance light?
Best to email me as I don't always catch these posts... and best to also read and send me the error codes showing before you clear or reset things. It may have been warning you of a sensor failure. Run it until it happens again, and send me the codes direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Glad to hear you are still happy with it.

Best to email me as I don't always catch these posts... and best to also read and send me the error codes showing before you clear or reset things. It may have been warning you of a sensor failure. Run it until it happens again, and send me the codes direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Glad to hear you are still happy with it.

Actually showed up this morning again. Haven't seen any codes displayed at the starting and later disappeared when I tried to see if there's a code. I'll see if it shows up on my way home and will try to read it with the tool. Almost took it to a dealer this morning, but the bike seemed to run fine, so I didn't.

Thanks Todd!

Back