• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

So, I got the Flash Tool Saturday and got everything downloaded and uploaded (after a glitch which meant I had to get a different USB cable from my son) and went for a 200 mile ride today. Bike (stock) seems to have better throttle response, I noticed I was riding in 5th and 6th gears, where previously I had been using 4th and 5th. I guess, for $500, I need to believe it must have improved something. Maybe, when I get the Agostinis this winter, I'll appreciate it more.

Do you mean that your stock bike has better throttle response after reflash? Or the opposit?

Can anyone elaborate on the evap and vent mods? I didn't do anything except the reflash on otherwise stock bike. Happy with the result but interested if I am not getting everything out of it. Plan to do pipes lat r if that makes a difference.

Do you mean that your stock bike has better throttle response after reflash? Or the opposit?
"seems like better throttle response" after the reflash, parenthetical "stock" was just emphasizing that the bike has no other accessories.

For 13+ V7 (Mk I, II & III) & V9 owners; I'm excited to say I am now selling a touch-screen Flash Tool (FT) box to those wanting to do ECU flashes, WITHOUT removing ECU/TB and shipping it in. This will be one bike specific, meaning it will capture the ECU #, and only communicate with it, no others. It is also a full diagnostic tool, and will reset the TPS and Auto Learn functions (mandatory post re-flash) among many other things. It will also allow you to return/flash it back to the stock map (it will read and keep your stock map once you connect) or any future map revisions for whatever reason, with me via email. This is the only option for fueling corrections, as the MIU ECU used on the V7/V9 cannot accept a PC-V/AutoTune, sorry to say.
For those asking, it is not public roadway legal, nor is it "warranty" acceptable though the bike will be much happier and have much better longevity; Your bike will run much cooler and have tremendously better throttle response with corrected fueling for completely stock to modified bikes. You can revert back to the stock map easily and at any time... which is mandatory for dealer service visits using this device.

'09-12 V7 models with 15RC ECUs, I recommend the Full Kit with PC-V/AutoTune HERE.

For all others, click the pic below or HERE for order info.

This unit sounds exactly like the Rexxer User that I bought for a Ducati Scrambler. If it is the same unit, and since I've sold the Scrambler, I'm wondering if I can get the correct interface cable and re-purpose my existing unit to use with the V7III Racer? I don't even know yet how much the V7III Racer might need a custom map, but the unit's other capabilities for service and maintenance are important to me.

Thanks for any information you might have!

No responses to my previous post, hmm. Doesn't matter much.

I have to say that my new V7III Racer hasn't shown much temperament or any running problems. It's still pretty much a baby with less than 500 miles on the clock, but it has started reliably, warmed up reasonably quickly, and, once warm, behaved itself with clean running: no pops or surging, stumbling, etc. When still cold, it had a typical cold start flat spot coming off idle. I was a little reluctant to mess with it, it ran so well compared to the Scrambler I sold (which was just awful to begin with and improved to some degree with the Rexxer I bought for it, but never ran to my satisfaction).

I'm an old hand at tuning carburetor setups. My only previous EFI motorcycle was a Ducati 907IE that originally had cold start and running behavior like the Racer did, but that older EFI system came to life nicely after trying a couple of modified EEPROM upgrades. I'm no stranger to computers, software manipulations, and embedded systems. So I figured, what the heck, I need a tool to do service maintenance myself anyway and as long as I can reflash the ECU with the original map it can't hurt.

Todd's GT ECU Flash Tool is indeed very similar to the Rexxer unit. I had investigated the cost of repurposing the Rexxer for the Guzzi but was quoted a price that made selling it with the Scrambler and buying a new unit dedicated to the Racer a more sensible deal. Plus, with no disparagement intended, the guy doing the Rexxer didn't sound so thrilled about working with Moto Guzzis— I long ago learned that if you're going to work on stuff that is niche-oriented and a little out of the mainstream, work with people who share the passion for them that you do. Todd definitely shares my passion for things Moto Guzzi. :D

The unit arrived on Thursday. It didn't have the flash drive in the box, but a quick email to Todd netted a download link for the software and instructions. I had the software installed and the FT unit initialized and ready quickly. I connected it to Racer and had it loaded with the OEM map the following morning*, sent the OEM map to Todd.

* I had no problems with the FT at all, but I did have a couple of minor problems doing the connections to the Racer. The "clip nuts" used in securing the right side cover over the battery on Racer are extremely cheap, flimsy bits ... two of mine were broken just by undoing the cover bolts. The one that was broken and unusable I temporarily exchanged with another that was in a more accessible location, the other one was just barely serviceable. When I rode to the dealer on Friday afternoon, I picked up a spares packet of six nearly identical clip nuts because I knew I'd need to replace more of these. The ones he had were a Ducati part number and were obviously much sturdier than the ones Guzzi used although not flash-chromed. No matter that, you can't see the clips once the cover is in place anyway.... :)

Todd was away at the SoCal Guzzi gathering so there was a little delay getting my custom map back to me. No problem: I had a couple of nice rides on Racer anyway. The update map was waiting in my email when I returned from this morning's ride so I loaded up the FT with it and then flashed Racer's ECU. (Yes, I replaced both of the broken clip nuts on the side cover this time.) By then it was about time for an early dinner, so my partner and I arranged to meet with another friend at a suitable restaurant a few miles away. I left early on Racer to see what the reprogramming had done and took the long way there.

Racer has been a happy boy so far and eager to run, but doing just the ECU flash and nothing else so far makes it feel like he's just passed puberty. :D Seriously, much smoother, stronger off idle response even cold, no lean spot, surging, or stumbles: a richer, cleaner pull right up to the break-in rev limit (and a little beyond). It's harder to keep the engine under 5000 rpm when you open the throttle up and its lost none of the easy even-tempered behavior when cruising around either. I can feel that the whole mixture curve, while not changing the basic character of the bike, is now right throughout the rev range.

A plus for the GT ECU FT is that it performed the ECU flash without completely wiping out all my configuration settings for the bike. Units, fuel mileage readouts, trip odometer, clock, instrument brightness, etc—all were as I had them set before doing the flash. The Rexxer unit reset everything when I updated the Scrambler and I had to spend another half hour restoring its settings; this was slicker and more convenient by far.

Todd, you get high marks from me. Your map for the stock bike is excellent and the user experience excellent as well. Thank you!

Now lets see when the black Agostini long mufflers for the V7III Racer come back into stock... I'm waiting for Racer boy's voice to change now. :D

usw,
G

Todd, you get high marks from me. Your map for the stock bike is excellent and the user experience excellent as well. Thank you! Now lets see when the black Agostini long mufflers for the V7III Racer come back into stock... I'm waiting for Racer boy's voice to change now.
Very welcome, thanks for the post.
Ago says the mufflers will be back in stock next week. I'll be in touch via email.

Very welcome, thanks for the post.
Ago says the mufflers will be back in stock next week. I'll be in touch via email.

Great! I look forward to hearing Racer sing with his full voice...
Memories of my lost but never to be forgotten LeMans V with the LaFranconi Competizione mufflers haunt me. :D

Onwards!
G

I recently finished using the ECU Reflash tool and installed the black ceramic coated 2 >1 exhaust system.

Many have posted detailed reviews and install stories but I wanted to share my positive experience here in case anyone is still on the fence.

Nothing but a big smile on my face during my daily commute to work now (cross San Francisco everyday). After the reflash my throttle response in 1st - 3rd feels much more lively and the sound coming from the exhaust system is...pretty insane. Somehow sounds exotic and throaty at the same time. In short, my stoke and excitement for riding the bike has come back.

The process for using the reflash was straight forward, biggest issue for me was finding a friend with a PC to run the .exe file!

Only watch outs for the install of the 2 >1 is that the black ceramic coating can scratch pretty easily and I wish I had a buddy around to help me be on both sides of the bike at the same time.

Shot Todd a few emails over the weekend during install and he was super responsive and answered my questions in a timely manner.

Couple of pics of the bike here for you.

IMG 5876 IMG 5875 IMG 5874

I recently finished using the ECU Reflash tool and installed the black ceramic coated 2 >1 exhaust system.

...I wanted to share my positive experience here in case anyone is still on the fence.

Nothing but a big smile on my face during my daily commute to work now ... and the sound coming from the exhaust system is...pretty insane.

Couple of pics of the bike here for you.

Damn, that's sweet looking!

I recently finished using the ECU Reflash tool and installed the black ceramic coated 2 >1 exhaust system. Nothing but a big smile on my face during my daily commute to work now...
Man, beauty! Thanks for the post!!!

Racer runs very well with both GT's dedicated map for [the Agostini mufflers] as well as with GT's customized map for the OEM mufflers. (I haven't tried them with the OEM map.) There are some differences between the running behavior with the two maps; I'm working with GT to see if a slightly tweaked combination of the two maps might produce an even better end result for my personal predilections. But I'm delighted with them even as is.

GT delivered a 'tweaked' map file to me this morning. I flashed the ECU with it and then took Racer for a lovely little 60+ mile romp, testing in dense, slow traffic, high speed highway, bimbling along, etc. Suffice it to say, I think it's right on the money now: very responsive, beautiful startup and warm up behavior, clean strong pull through midrange right to redline. (Tested up to redline in 4th, ran out of room for 5th and 6th. Redline in 4th means you're already moving quite fast...!)

The Agostinis sound perfect with this map too. They hit just the right tones with the dB-killers in, and the power is such that there's really no need to pull them out other than to make more noise.

This is now Racer as hoped for. :D

G

My further rides on Racer the next day confirmed my initial impressions and reinforced them:
Wow, this new map is perfect!

Oh yes, this time I got to redline in 5th before running out of road. Suffice it to say that I don't feel any desperate need to test Racer to redline in 6th, although we'll probably make that journey at some point. :D

Thank you again, GT!

Well, where do I begin? I reflashed my ecu (totally stock V7iii Special) with Todd's new map and went for a 135Km jaunt through the countryside around where I live. Had to go into town at first for a couple of things, so my initial experience was a short stint of stop/start holiday traffic through the middle of town. First up, the smoothness of throttle roll on in slow, low gear situations was a galaxy apart from standard. No snatching or jerking of any kind. I could allow the revs to drop all the way down to about 1,500 rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, gently apply throttle and have the bike accelerate away with the traffic. This isn't how I ride, just testing how smoothly the power is able to be applied. No snatch, no jerk. Just smooth , gentle application of power and the bike moves on. Unbelievable!! Prior to this I got all sorts of ugly jerking and snatching below about 2,400rpm.

Just for the sake of testing this aspect I went to a large shopping centre car park to play with the ultra-low speed handling. And handling is what I mean. Because the power comes on so smoothly and predictably the very low speed handling is improved about 200%. No need to slip the clutch even. Fully predictable right down to 1,500rpm in 1st with the clutch fully engaged. Tight, slow cornering made easy.

Suburban riding is equally improved, with the power so beautifully predictable and smooth. I found myself in1 higher gear often, just coz the bike was so happy to do it. After today suburban corners in 3rd are my new norm.

Out on the open road I tried various speeds from 80 to 110Kph with a couple of overtakes up to about 145Kph. The smoothness of the power delivery and roll on was just as lovely and smooth as at lower speeds, but even stock it was half fine above about 3,500rpm.

There are other factors at play too. From idle onwards the engine is noticeably smoother. There's definitely less vibration throughout the entire rev range. There are no harsh vibes at any revs now, where there was a rough band around about 3,400 up to about 4,100rpm before the reflash. At mid speeds (say, 60 to 90Kph) where the engine is running like clockwork and wind noise is still low I was lulled by the dulcet tones of happy little tappets, perfectly adjusted, serenading me with their "ticka tacka ticka tacka" . A most reassuring sound. When I stopped at 1 point I was also struck by the lack of heat radiating from the engine. I wish I had one of those infra-red point and shoot thermometers to provide empirical data - but I don't! However, the engine was "a lot" cooler, how ever you wish define "a lot".

As I rode home the thought running through my head was just how much this ride reminded me of my years on 1970s and early 80s Beemer R models, only this one handles beautifully as well. The sound, the feel, the smooth torque across the rev range and the entirely unfussed cruising manners will hopefully make this an outstanding long distance tourer for many years to come.

If you think your stock V7 runs just fine off the showroom floor, you're wrong! Bite the bullet and make it run just fine.

Todd, you're an absolute wizard! Can't wait to get the exhaust system on. I guess I won't be listening to my tappets after that.

Oh yeah, baby. Get it right, and its very, very right. Add the Agostinis and GT's customized map ... motorcycle sex is just a flick of the wrist away. After some million-plus miles of riding over the past forty-some years, fettling and tuning bikes to the best possible, I have only rarely experienced a bike that runs as well as Racer does now.

The Agos with the db-killers in make just the right level of noise for me. I can hear every nuance of the engine, but when I twist the loud control at the appropriate revs the song coming out the tail end eclipses everything else and literally makes music; you can feel the rear wheel dig into its traction peak sweeping through a corner under power. Just that is such a rush! :D

(You know, the fork on Racer is a bit crude suspension-wise compared to its glorious Öhlins rear suspension. But it hardly matters for most riding: you control the acceleration, deceleration, steering, and dynamics of the bike with the rear wheel and the throttle, the front wheel just guides it gently and initiates the turn, applies most of the final braking force when the fork is nearly fully compressed anyway. At some financially crazy moment, I'll likely opt for GT's full Öhlins front end too, just to make Racer completely happy, but I fear then I'll ride like even more of a twenty-year old maniac than I've gotten back to already. It's a personal failing ... :))

. ..... sex is just a flick of the wrist away. ....
It's a personal failing ... :))

I prefer sex with a female partner, not by flicking my wrist. Yikes!!! :(

Calm down, relax, take deep breath, it'll a work out for ya. It's likely a failing you'll be able to overcome by practicing a little wrist constraint. :rofl:
Paul

Um, motorcycle sex is done with the throttle and the full body ... At least that's how it was explained to me at my first road racing track school about, oh, 1977.

Human sex is done between consenting partners using whatever parts of the body they deem appropriate. That's what my sex education class in High School taught me in 1968.

There's a difference. Which one you prefer at any given moment, well, that's up to you to figure out. :D

Oh yeah, baby. Get it right, and its very, very right. Add the Agostinis and GT's customized map ... motorcycle sex is just a flick of the wrist away. After some million-plus miles of riding over the past forty-some years, fettling and tuning bikes to the best possible, I have only rarely experienced a bike that runs as well as Racer does now.

The Agos with the db-killers in make just the right level of noise for me. I can hear every nuance of the engine, but when I twist the loud control at the appropriate revs the song coming out the tail end eclipses everything else and literally makes music; you can feel the rear wheel dig into its traction peak sweeping through a corner under power. Just that is such a rush! :D

(You know, the fork on Racer is a bit crude suspension-wise compared to its glorious Öhlins rear suspension. But it hardly matters for most riding: you control the acceleration, deceleration, steering, and dynamics of the bike with the rear wheel and the throttle, the front wheel just guides it gently and initiates the turn, applies most of the final braking force when the fork is nearly fully compressed anyway. At some financially crazy moment, I'll likely opt for GT's full Öhlins front end too, just to make Racer completely happy, but I fear then I'll ride like even more of a twenty-year old maniac than I've gotten back to already. It's a personal failing ... :))

I'm honestly scared to ever ride a guzzi again with out GT's mapping. I desperately want the v85 but I won't get one until I know GT has work for it like an exhaust and a map. Damn, thinking about that thing hitting terrain with a few mods. Going to be sick.

Back