• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

You're disregarding the fact that there are other diag tools out there which are freely distributed, so "selling units" isn't really a motivation for them. None of them have figured out how to unlock the maint reset yet. Not saying it's impossible, but the factory has deliberately made this difficult so that there is a reason to force customers to visit the dealers. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

I also would not be surprised if at some point, they did start encrypting the entire map on new ECUs.

This is just the latest evolution of the game of cat-n-mouse. Guzzi ECUs used to be "protected" by a sticker placed over a screw. Then, to make things more difficult, they moved from swappable PROM chips to soldered-on chips. The "unresettable" reset is just the latest trick. It probably will be circumvented eventually, but then what's next...

__Jason

Indeed the Free Software Foundation community is HUGE and some of those people are Incredibly talented and do the work for the Fun of it.
But someone still needs the motivation to actually do it - we need a REAL geek Biker !
or a Real Biker with a Geek friend :) ( and Beer and/or Pizza )

Just updated my 13 Special with the GTM Reflash tool. Follow the instructions and it 1 2 3 and done. Just had time for a quick ride and the difference was impressive. I can feel the increase in power and see that the engine revs much easier. The monster is loose!

I also would not be surprised if at some point, they did start encrypting the entire map on new ECUs.

They do on the 1400 and V85TT.

I would expect that this will be par for the course on any "new" models they introduce from here on out.

Meanwhile...

I just applied the GTM ECU flash to my wife's V7III yesterday. This was done immediately after the first service, so I don't have a great feel for the power difference, due to the fact that we haven't been thrashing the bike during the break-in period. HOWEVER, the big difference that I noticed (and was hoping for) is much smoother throttle response, which was particularly jerky at low speed / low RPM (read: parking lot, or traffic jam speeds). Overall, quite happy with it. With the Agostini exhaust, SAS elimination, and now ECU flash, it feels like a different bike.

__Jason

- I read it multiple times and tried searching for the words -
mandatory throttle position reset
and they are not in this document ?
DOH !
That's were it was, in your Email !
( I knew I saw it someplace. )

Ok - all set for a spin tommorow, no need to wake up the neighbors tonight.

To be fair, this reset is not in the included instructions. I never saw it either. I'm still not sure if it's meant to be done every time you go from stock to gtm map, or if it should be done prior or following the reflash.

To be fair, this reset is not in the included instructions. I never saw it either. I'm still not sure if it's meant to be done every time you go from stock to gtm map, or if it should be done prior or following the reflash.
The note below is sent with every revised map, and is talked about in the video. I recommend doing it a few times/year, or at every service at a minimum.
Upload the attached file back to the Flash Tool, and use the mod file to flash the ECU. Once done, be sure to run the Throttle Position command under the Diagnosis > My Bike tab. This is mandatory for it to work correctly. As a reminder, keep the battery on a charger.

Link was in the email when the flash tool was purchased, along with the instruction manual.
Note that in the video, the TPS reset seems to be done automatically. For my bike, I had to go into the menu and trigger the TPS reset myself.

__Jason

The link to the video is on the email that was sent with the PDF and the program download. Is it that people just aren't reading the short paragraph or what?
That video is for the 1400. I am putting one together for the V7. Slightly different.
Also, I do not want the video live to everyone. I have removed it from the above post.

I actually didn't get the email at first until contacting you, you may remember. Maybe that email you then sent to me was not your standard email, as there was no video. No worries, I know how to use it well enough now, I guess. And did see the bit about the throttle reset.

Just installed the software and read the stock ECU using the flash tool.

With Windows 10 pro 64-bit, ransomware protection enabled (no other firewall or anti-virus), the software installed without any issue. It did asked to install .Net framework, though. the .Net framework is a common Microsoft software that some computer hardware/software use, so if the GTM-PWG software did not ask you do install it, then it is likely that you already have it installed.

After connecting the Flash Tool to the PC and ran the GTM-PWG for the first time, both the software and the tool's firmware (Fw) were updated to newer version.

Reading the stock ECU file with the Flash Tool was easy and without issue. It took about 5 minutes.
When downloading the file using the GTM-PWG software from the Flash Tool to the Windows 10, when you save the file to the computer's "Documents" folder (default location), Windows Security prompted that it blocked the GTM-PWG to access this folder (it is possible that I have this folder set as "protected"), so I simply clicked on the Windows notice, went to the Windows Security settings and allow GTM-PWG to access the folder.

I then sent the original file to Todd and he email me back a file.
Uploading the file back to the flash tool also went without issue, just follow the instruction video Todd sent you. Since my V7 III is currently stock, so Todd sent me the GTMv1 map file. After connecting the flash tool back to the bike, I noticed that there are three maps available. the original, GTMv1 (for bike in stock condition), and GTMv2 (Todd preloaded the GTMv2 map to the flash tool. This is the map for K&N air filter and aftermarket muffler (GTM GP Meg) without the db killer installed).

[Update]
I just did the ECU flash to GTMV2 with TPS reset, SAS blocked, EVAP canister removed, K&N filter and Zard zuma slip-ons with baffles. Keep in mind that the V7 III ran fine in stock condition and I had no starting issue cold/warm and no surging when cruising.

Before all these, the tracking control was at 1, but after the flash, it was changed to 2 (??) So, the traction control would kick in (warning light ON) and cut off the acceleration at high RPM (I'd guess close to 6k RPM). Setting back to 1 fixed this.

The additional power is noticeable when you keep the RPM up at the meaty range. There is a hill near me when the V7 III was in stock, I could only get 80 mph max, but with all the changes above, I could go pass 90 with room for more.

The only issue I have is occasional decel pops. I will put more miles on it and report back to Todd directly.

Last edited:
You are chasing something that does not exist.

Air pressure at 600 feet is 99.1 kPa and at 2000 feet is 94.2 kPa.

The difference is insignificant and the motorcycle will run the same both places.

Do yourself a HUGE favor. What you really want is RIDEABILITY.

So, just let Todd tell you what you really NEED and then buy it and put it in.

He’ll get you running the very best it ever will and you can stop worrying about stuff that does not matter.

Thanks Scott and Raven.
Just Joined. Great site. Long time rider, 1st Guzzi. I Have a 2020 V7 III Rough.
Congrats and welcome Brian. People often get things in their head that take them down a rabbit hole. The bike is a global bike, and the system is designed to handle elevation changes as delivered; We’re far beyond carburetors in 2020(!). Fueling is restricted for emissions as delivered. Thankfully there’s a fix... Happy to be of help. Read the reviews on the purchase page and this thread. Also, hope you’ll add your info to the Registry.

Pretty sure that for Question # 2, YES you should flash back to stock before bringing it to the dealer for service. I may be mistaken, but better safe than sorry.
Oh, and you'll quickly find out who to ignore around here, lol, but Todd's reflash is the real deal!

Pretty sure that for Question # 2, YES you should flash back to stock before bringing it to the dealer for service. I may be mistaken, but better safe than sorry.
You'll quickly find out who to ignore around here, lol, but Todd's reflash is the real deal!
Thank you for the Info ! I think you are right, I will put it back to factory when I take it in.

You are chasing something that does not exist.

Air pressure at 600 feet is 99.1 kPa and at 2000 feet is 94.2 kPa.

The difference is insignificant and the motorcycle will run the same both places.

Do yourself a HUGE favor. What you really want is RIDEABILITY.

So, just let Todd tell you what you really NEED and then buy it and put it in.

He’ll get you running the very best it ever will and you can stop worrying about stuff that does not matter.

Great Point on safety. ! Antilock brakes are a feature Thats just an intelligent decision to use. without a doubt ! You are correct, it doesn’t stifle the motor. Getting older reflexes slow. I am turning them on for good ! thank you for the sound advice !

Last edited:
Back