RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

GTM V7 III & V9 Exhaust options & Dyno runs

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Apr 25, 2017.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

GT options for the V7 III. Mufflers or Full 2:2 & 2>1 systems. My offerings available on the Store tab above.

GP-Style Meg Muffler:
    [​IMG]

Prototyping our full Classic system also;
    [​IMG]

Stubby option (contact us for details):
    IMG_0693.JPG

Weight comparo...
    OEM muffler 10.8 lbs
    IMG_0704.JPG
    GT-Rx® Long Meg 2.6 lbs
    IMG_0705.JPG

scudracer, MOLT, Bobby and 1 other person like this.
  2. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti

I know this is regarding the III, but will that first muffler be considered the new stubby? And will it be a part of the 2:1?

3. GT-Rx®

No, the one shown is 12" long. The stubby mufflers are 6" long. It does not fit the 2>1.

Poppe likes this.
  4. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti

Oh copy! It's deceivingly 12" ha. It's really beautifully crafted. Will it replace the 2:1 "Meg" then? Apologies if it's a dumb question.

5. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thank you! Would love to see the photos when you get them.

So this is called the Shortly Muffler right? Would it work on a V7 I or will this be a VIII only. Pretty sure I should be able to do the 2:1 in July and was going to do the Meg, but depending on how this works, I might do the "Shorty" now! It seems like it would be a middle ground between the stubby and the meg on the 2:1?

6. GT-Rx®

Welcome.
    I call the 12-in meg "Stinger."
    We can call this the 'Shorty' for now. The Shorty will work on the I, II or III, and/or as the mufflers on the 2:2, in place of the Stubbies or Stingers. My standard (long) megs are 18-in.
    I am also custom building a big/cone muffled meg 2:2. Pics soon as well.

7. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti

Ha! Good to know. How is the sound on this one vs the Meg or Stub? Will you do a dyno run for this?

8. GT-Rx®

Internally it's the same as the 12" Stinger. The Stubby is no muffler at all. I will likely be dyno-ing everything, yes.

Poppe likes this.
  9. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti

Great. Thanks for all the information. I am only a few hundred miles away from my 5K service, so maybe I'll be able to see it in person when I can get a weekend free to schedule the service with your gang.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  10. GT-Rx®

Below is the new big/cone muffled meg. I will be finalizing it in high-temp black, with a brushed tip. I'll post more info as I have it. I will be offering this design on a 2>1 soon.

IMG_0854.JPG

11. rupert8s

rupert8s Just got it firing!

Sounds like a good plan. Would love to hear the sound of your new muffler.

12. Bobby

Bobby Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

Great looking work as usual Todd.

GT-Rx® and Kofiko like this.
  13. socalrob

socalrob Tuned and Synch'ed

Like that, but also like the fact the double wall pipes on the V7iii will stay nice looking. I guess I am getting tired of the stainless pipes on my BMW turning to shite brown. Both chrome and titanium turn nice colors, stainless not.

Any idea how much weight savings for the full system? Are you keeping the cross-over? Also, just looking at my bike it sure looks like the pipe would touch down before the peg feelers. If so I could see a higher pipe or lower pegs (I would like an extra bit of leg room).

14. GT-Rx®

All details here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-v7-full-ss-2-2/ - yes I keep the crossover (very important for power). The pipes do not touch down. Pegs/kickstand are first. I design from my extensive racing background.

scudracer likes this.
  15. rupert8s

rupert8s Just got it firing!

Would love to see the dyno result. Keep us posted.

16. GT-Rx®

We ran our 7-mile V7 III Stone yesterday on the dyno with stock mufflers, then my GT-Rx® GP-Megs - both on stock fueling. The graph (while really worthless to show real-world gains, as it's full throttle/peak power - where no one lives for long), shows a favorable gain the mid-range, and I'm positive when the fueling is corrected (coming soon), will show more gains everywhere, including peak power. Seat of pants riding the two back to back gives impressive gains from off idle up as is. Great to see ~9 hp gain at the rear tire over the last gen V7 I & II from the factory with the new head.
    Also below is a sound video (worthless too, but everyone always asks). The mufflers got plenty of smiles and thumbs up from everyone in the complex where GT Moto/Fab & Svc is.
    If interested in a set, ping me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com - or I'll of course post a link when I have them ready to ship. I suspect like everything else I offer, I'll sell one or two pair while everyone jumps on board with the bigger name brands and zero documentation on what they offer, and best to you on longevity. ;)

Stock (green lines) vs. GT-Rx® GP-Megs (red) -- both on stock fueling.
    GT-V7III-Dyno.jpeg

scudracer, Poppe and Kofiko like this.
  17. lucydad

lucydad Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Todd,

Great work and thanks for posting results! Still waiting for details on a new V7 III Special here in Houston, TX. My "seat of pants" gauge estimated about ten hp gain between my 2012 V7R 2TB heron head and the 2017 Stone. Dropping weight on any bike is always a goal for performance too--per your new cans. I am staying tuned....bad pun. I think the new engine is quite an advance.

18. GT-Rx®

Our GT-Rx® GP Megs will fit all V7 III& V9 models... including the V7 Racer high mounts in pic on bottom (full Racer system shown including hanger/peg) brackets. Taking pre-orders soon. Also very cool when the designer of the V7, Miguel, likes what you're doing too.

IMG_1083.jpg

scudracer and lucydad like this.
  19. GT-Rx®

Our full system for when the headers start cracking at the H-pipe crossover like the 1400 does... Same poor design flaws. Will fit stock mufflers, or aftermarket including my GP Megs as shown. My design also has proven gains in power over the stock headers. Will be available brushed stainless, black coated or polished.

IMG_1056.JPG

20. lucydad

lucydad Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Shipping yet? Waiting for my new V7 III Special, might be this week. These cans are an obvious addition. I assume remap also required, correct?