• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GTM V7 Mk I-II Oil Sump Spacers

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
'91-12 Breva/Nevada 750s and '09-15 V7's have a tendency to consume oil when you least expect it ending catastrophically (also fits the '16 Mk II). Our sump spacer below raises the oil capacity to ~2.5L from the stock 1.6L. Adding ~60% oil capacity not only a helpful piece of mind, but it is also pivotal for less abuse on the oil between change intervals.

Sold as a full kit which will include the bolts and oil filter spacer - DOES NOT INCLUDE GASKETS AS SHOWN, sorry. Grab one on the Store here; https://gtmotocycles.com/search?type=product&q=sump spacer kit*

Looks like a nicely machined piece. My '13 Racer didn't burn a drop on break-in, Maybe the new engine has solved that issue.

tonUPRacer said:
Looks like a nicely machined piece. My '13 Racer didn't burn a drop on break-in, Maybe the new engine has solved that issue.
Glad to hear, but a ~60% increase in oil capacity is helpful across the board, especially between oil change intervals where abusing 1.6L of oil in hot temps can be very detrimental. It's the only update that the factory has left off on the revised engine IMO.

tonUPRacer said:

Here in 110+ degree weather breaking in my 2013 did burn almost .5L with a sump spacer, but not one as pretty as this!
Nice work Todd!
Wish I could have been more patient for yours.

cytocycle said:
tonUPRacer said:

Here in 110+ degree weather breaking in my 2013 did burn almost .5L with a sump spacer, but not one as pretty as this!
Nice work Todd!
Wish I could have been more patient for yours.
I'd be interested in knowing the source of your sump extender.

Regards, Paul

roadscum said:
I'd be interested in knowing the source of your sump extender.
Me... from above, "Fresh off the GT CNC mill." Why do you ask?

I interested in knowing whole semis producing sump extenders. Op says he wished he had waited for yours.

Regards, Paul

SMART TOUCH to offer a powdercoated version! I had to get the one I got done before I installed it.

Also good to include 2 gaskets.

I'm not familiar with the bottom end of these bikes, but is there a oil pump pickup like on cars? If so, is there an extender piece for that so that it's located deeper into the new pan?

The pick up is built into the channel on the bottom of the pan, that runs through the smaller "tube" (radius) routed into the pan spacer. The larger one is of course for the oil filter.

Looks awesome. If I procured one for my V7 Special it would have to be black, of course. Is this a bolt-on fit for the new 2013 revised motors too?

scudracer said:
Looks awesome. If I procured one for my V7 Special it would have to be black, of course. Is this a bolt-on fit for the new 2013 revised motors too?

Should be the pans are the same.

I've got one (from a different manufacturer) on my 2013 V7, but it's the same part that was sold for the earlier models too.

Thanks Kev. I was talking about these sump spacers and a friend asked if they would affect oil pressure in any way. IMHO more volume shouldn't have a detrimental effect. Would it? Pardon my ignorance. :mrgreen:

scudracer said:
Looks awesome. If I procured one for my V7 Special it would have to be black, of course. Is this a bolt-on fit for the new 2013 revised motors too? I was talking about these sump spacers and a friend asked if they would affect oil pressure in any way. IMHO more volume shouldn't have a detrimental effect. Would it? Pardon my ignorance. :mrgreen:
Kev already answered, but yes they sure will. They'll fit most every small block made to date. Happy to get you a black one shipped all the way to Kuala Lumpur if needed.
That's all the pan does is add more volume, correct. Nothing else is effected.

scudracer said:
Thanks Kev. I was talking about these sump spacers and a friend asked if they would affect oil pressure in any way. IMHO more volume shouldn't have a detrimental effect. Would it? Pardon my ignorance. :mrgreen:

Like Todd said, nothing else should really be effected.

Think of it like a fish pond with a pump to circulate the water, how full the pond is means nothing to how much pressure the circulation pump makes. As long as the liquid gets to the pump level doesn't matter.

Now we said NOTHING else is effected, but there could be a small, probably insignificant, effect on temperature, but the jury is out if that is up or down. Some say the larger volume of oil will hold more heat/take longer to cool, some say the larger volume will spread it out more and ensure better cooling. I know of no-one who cares enough to perform a test.

Twas my impression that the oil filter was the source of the pickup to the oil pump, but there is another port that goes down through the extender to the lower section. Both are taken care of with the kit.

Thanks guys. Wonderful info. Yes Todd I hope to order one soon. Will I be the first person in Malaysia to order one? :D The pond analogy is good. Easy to understand. VW Beetles have had deep sumps offered by Gene Berg, CB Performance, etc. for ages. Similar concept I guess. In the Vee-Dub world the cooling effect of these deep sumps is negligible, but owners fit them for added insurance during hard cornering, etc. The Type 4 engine as fitted in the Porsche 914 had baffles. In VWs an oil pickup extension needs to be fitted. There's no such equivalent item/concern for the Guzzi sump spacer? Pardon the newbie questions as I'm new to Guzziology.

scudracer said:
Thanks guys. Wonderful info. Yes Todd I hope to order one soon. Will I be the first person in Malaysia to order one? In VWs an oil pickup extension needs to be fitted. There's no such equivalent item/concern for the Guzzi sump spacer? Pardon the newbie questions as I'm new to Guzziology.
Good, and yes you will be. :huh:

Again, oil pick up is channeled into the bottom of the pan under the screen, not the oil filter, so zero issues for deepening/extending the sump.

Thanks Todd. Sorry about repeating the question. I read the earlier posts and realised it had been answered already. :eek:

Back