Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GTM V85TT FUEL KIT - FINALLY

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Paultergeist, Dec 30, 2020.

?

I own a V85TT and...

1. I’ve been beside myself waiting on this kit!

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. I don't know much about this, but sounds interesting.

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. I'm content with how mine runs, though I'm sure it could run better.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Paultergeist

Paultergeist Just got it firing!

Greetings.....brand new V85 TT owner here (actually, I take possession tomorrow). How does one go about accomplishing a "fueling fix" -- as mentioned above?

2. Faisal

Faisal Cruisin' Guzzisti

As of yet, a PCV or ECU flash or a tested piggyback ecu, nothing.

There are piggyback systems, but I have yet to see one that has been tested on the V85TT.

Then there are the dongles that plug to your O2 sensor and such to fool the ECU, but that'll only alter the closed loop system at best, if I'm not mistaken.

Other than that, we are all waiting on Todd and the company he works with to release something for the V85TT.

Paultergeist likes this.
  3. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Just got it firing!

Any updates regarding a V85 version?

Paultergeist likes this.
  4. Paultergeist

Faisal,
    Thanks very much for the reply. I am really enjoying the bike, and I am mostly-okay with keeping it stock initially, but I can really see myself wanting to get rid of that cat converter. I can feel the heat coming off of that thing, and it is right below the engine -- it must be passing some of that heat along to the engine.....plus I live in Southern California (it already gets hot here). While I can see it being tempting to just install a Y-pipe (cat delete), doing so without adjusting fueling might also make the engine run leaner (which can also create heat problems)....assuming I understand things correctly. I don't feel like I have enough knowledge or expertise to make any changes with confidence yet, so i guess I am also just waiting to see what can be developed in the aftermarket. Fingers crossed.
    Thanks again for the reply.

5. Faisal

Faisal Cruisin' Guzzisti

I feel your pain. I live in Qatar and regularly commute with a motorcycle, even during the Summer, which can get up to 55C (131F) during extreme heat waves, if not more. The cat doesn't help one bit during the hot season. Even during our winter season, which is slightly similar to California weather during the winter, I can feel the heat from the cat, especially during long rides.

Guzzis, along with possibly every other bike / car manufacturer in the world, set up their engines to be very lean during closed loop and very rich during open loop, and changing the exhaust / decating the bike without a proper tune will just make it leaner as you mentioned.

There are many people who have decated the V85TT without proper tuning, but I really don't want to risk it. I would love for that extra dB I would gain from decating the bike as well. But yeah, until Todd announces it, we're stuck.

Paultergeist likes this.
  6. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

To those who have been waiting, I FINALLY have some good news. I just ordered my first batch of five (5) ECU flash tools that will unlock the ECU for modification. Note that the 7SM ECU that the V85TT (and likely V7-850 & new V9) have, are uber-locked-down, so again I will only sell the Power Commander and AutoTune kit along with it, the same as with the 1400.

These are NOW online here; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-rx-pc-v-at300-ecu-flash-tool - The V85 is now a selection there.

For those wondering as to power increases, though it has been dyno-proven on every model so far, typically I don't bother, as that mostly requires mechanical changes like a muffler or full exhaust system with air box mods. However, this mod alone will provide more crisp throttle response, along with buttery smooth engine (taming) vibration and substantially cooler running temps, even on a completely stock bike.

More as we have it here.

DTNZ, Faisal, jwtucker and 6 others like this.
  7. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

I truly can't believe the lack of interest in this amazing offering. With the number of V85TT owners I would have thought the posts would pile up quickly.

8. GTM®

I'm not. Per above, after ~20 years of proving this technology, both on paper (dyno and air/fuel data) and real world performance (to anyone readying this, see my ride videos in the custom build section), there's still many nay-sayers and "authorities" now that freeware is mainstream, and the two man-children from Oz who make it their job to stomp all over the net and dump on me and this product.
    I will again be providing the science and results on what it offers.

9. Paultergeist

I generally understand the rationale for leaner-running (emissions, etc), but why would any bike be set-up for -- as you say -- very rich running under any circumstances?

10. GTM®

So that the owner doesn’t blow it up. Remember, these are in large, fuel cooled engines. I state this often. It’s nothing short of miraculous that they run as well as they do (in the test areas) and they offer a warranty at all, considering the emission restrictions.

11. Paultergeist

Todd,
    Please let me know if I am asking too many tedious questions, or otherwise cluttering-up this thread.

You mentioned "the test areas" in your previous post. Am I correct that there are certain specific RPM and load conditions under which the bikes are emissions tested -- and thereby the engines are set to run very lean under THOSE conditions?

Conversely, that there are other RPM and load conditions outside of the emissions testing range(s), and that the engines are configured to pour on the fuel (say, during heavy acceleration) in order to protect the engine?

I am just trying to understand.

12. GTM®

13. vagrant

vagrant High Miler

That pretty much sums it up. Pure government insanity.

14. TenBelowGriso

TenBelowGriso Tuned and Synch'ed

Very much looking forward to the data from this kit!

15. Paultergeist

I have been following along on this thread, hoping to gain more understanding of this kit. I confess that I am not sure how all of this fits together, or what the different pieces do. At the risk of appearing naive (which I am!), I will ask a few questions:

I believe I understand that the Power Commander V (PCV) and Auto-Tune (AT) modules are ADDED to motorcycle -- these integrate along with -- but do not replace -- the stock ECU.....is that correct?

The O2 sensors included in this kit, however, REPLACE the stock O2 sensors in the exhaust headers-- correct?

Does operating this kit -- once installed -- require the end-user to then log into the Dyno-Jet website, download maps, and "flash" those map(s) into the memory of the PCV/AT modules?

If so, what sort of computer is required to do this?

I really don't understand the black box thing. Is that installed on to the motorcycle (like the PCV/AT modules -- under the seat, I would assume?) Is it only attached temporarily to the motorcycle -- say, duct tape to the handlebars -- while initially configuring the PCV/AT and ECM on the fly?..... or is it only connected when the bike is parked?

Lastly, how hard is all of this to install?

I apologize for asking questions which I am guessing seem very basic to most everyone else.

Thanks for any insights.

David Bracey likes this.
  16. 99sidude

99sidude Just got it firing!

Finally!!! Just came across this.

So what exactly do I need to make my V85TT run perfectly uncorked like your old rental v7 and v9?

Right now I just have GTM slip on system. Not sure I'd like the bike to be quite as loud as your rentals, but just the slip on GTM muffler leaves something to be desired.

17. TenBelowGriso

TenBelowGriso Tuned and Synch'ed

@Paultergeist I'm sure that GT-Rx will have a much better explanation (he's EXTREMELY helpful), but my understanding is that the map on the V85 can't be "modified" per se right now, but unlocking the ECU lets the PCV read the map to make better corrections in real time vs just using a PCV without the unlock.

18. GTM®

Lean test areas, and uber-rich areas: Yes.
    I will document installation, and most of these questions are well answered on this site, but I'll recap for this thread: The (Windows PC only) GTM Flash Tool "unlocks" the ECU; It's a once and done device outside of diagnostic purposes down the road. This allows the piggyback PC-V/AT system (with new Bosch wideband 02-sensors) to be installed and remain on the bike to handle fueling, dynamically. Everything is sent pre-mapped based on what you tell me you have done to your bike. You do need to download the free WinPC software from PowerCommander.com to set the Throttle Position and be able to pull and send me the map via email for all initial, seasonal and any post-service tweaks... or almost any time the bike doesn't seem to be fueling correctly.

Adding the Y-pipe to any muffler will give it a great deal more sound as it's a pre-muffler of sorts with the cat-con. See the exhaust thread for more info.

Close, but unlocking the ECU allows the PC-V to handle all fueling, as without the unlock the ECU will not allow any changes (i.e. a PC-V to be added), with or without AutoTune. AT is the most important part of the system... I wish they'd combine the two (PC-V & AT).

19. Paultergeist

Thanks......I appreciate the information provided. I remain very intrigued as I try to learn more about this stuff. I didn't realize that there was this much to it.

20. 99sidude

99sidude Just got it firing!

Thanks for the explanation Todd. I should have the IRS just send my tax refund straight to you for all the needed bits lol. Appreciate all the work you have done to make this available! Will be shopping soon.