• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

guess this road......

Series4 said:
I reckon it's a huge mistake. Some engineering student made a mockup out of matchsticks and said to the builders "now build this". And they did. Out of matchsticks. Best guess is it's from a model railway.
:lol: :lol:

Series4 said:
The river looks like it's fed from snowmelt so I'd say somewhere perhaps in Canadia?
Peter
Same reasoning I had ..... and Daniel's hint of "Famous Rivers" would make me lean to either the Fraser or Columbia.

I haven't checked, on Daniel's site, all the places he visited yet. :oops: (Shouldn't have said that)

Attachments

• nanewriv.gif
    nanewriv.gif
    60 KB · Views: 374
DanPez said:
Series4 said:
I haven't checked, on Daniel's site, all the places he visited yet. :oops: (Shouldn't have said that)

Sheesh... First Bill cheats, and now (the other) Dan...

No matter; you're on the right track. Hint: the bridge is on the site of what must have been a terrifying landslide several hundred years ago. The Gods were very angry...

Daniel Kalal said:
DanPez said:
Series4 said:

No matter; you're on the right track. Hint: the bridge is on the site of what must have been a terrifying landslide several hundred years ago. The Gods were very angry...

Ha!!!

Bridge of the Gods

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80651083@N00/200543539/

I googled images for bridge truss landslide. Bingo. :laugh:

Bill

Bill Hagan said:
Ha!!! Bridge of the Gods

Correct!

A couple of things about this bridge (well, really just one big thing). It has an open grate roadway. This means if you look down while crossing, you'll see just a blur of steel, but a whole lot of water way, way down there. Related to this is that the grate is quite coarse, which means it feels like you're riding on rollers as both the front and rear tires hunt left and right. Best to look forward and just try to ignore what you feel and what you know is down there!

Now, here's a place that is distinctive and perhaps also someplace that one of you has been(?) It's obviously a mountain pass, so name that pass:
photo577.JPG

Default answer: Stelvio. Without referring to Google I'd judge by the architecture it's probably in the Alto Aldige which could be the Stelvio (I've not been there). Dunno. Gavia? St Bernard?

Peter

Series4 said:
Default answer: Stelvio.

(still) not Stelvio. Not Italy either. Both sides of the pass are in the same country. Jean-Claude Killy would know this well.

Daniel Kalal said:

OK can we rephrase that? …..We’ll just say that I am using whatever resources available out there to …..to…..to…..WIN? :)

Daniel Kalal said:
(still) not Stelvio. Not Italy either. Both sides of the pass are in the same country. Jean-Claude Killy would know this well.

"Jean-Claude" ....French for France!
And what looks like a "Chappele" .....I think?

The law views a confession of guilt as the first step toward rehabilitation, thus I find DanPez's request for "rephrasing" his forays into DK's website trip reports as somewhat short of repentance. :p

I, OTOH, am completely reconstructed, and have decided not to visit Daniel's website until this game runs its course.

I had no idea where that pic was taken, so, in the interests of full disclosure, reveal the audit trail for my research. :whistle:

Noting the reference to Jean-Claude Killy, I wiki'ed him. That led to ... after some more exploration of the globe via Google, Portillo Pass in Chile.

Bill Hagan
"Fair Mining Only" :laugh:

Bill Hagan said:
...reference to Jean-Claude Killy...after some more exploration...Portillo Pass in Chile.

Oh yes; the young and fearless Jean-Claude growing up in the shadows of the high alpine mountains of...Chile!

Here's the view down the south side--you can just barely see the road at the bottom of the valley. No doubt a young Maria von Trapp is spinning and singing just out of range of the camera. But, then this is not Austria, either.
photo579.JPG

Daniel Kalal said:
No doubt a young Maria von Trapp is spinning and singing just out of range of the camera. But, then this is not Austria, either.
Vermont .......
I used to ski there and there ain't no church up on those mountains. :laugh:

So, if young Mary is just out of shot and not in Austria she must be in Switzerland near the French border, if reference to J-C Killy is interpreted correctly. And the pass exists solely in one country. That rules out the St Bernard which was an earlier guess. So I reckon (still not Googling) it's probably the Col d'Iseran somewhere around des Lessieres

OK, here's one for the Googlers. I've made it easy by including a clear reference but what I want is the exact location, the name of the road and what nationally significant location is nearby.

BTW Dan, this is what an assembled LM3 looks like (OK, sans one side cover that wouldn't fit over the car coil I had to fit)

Attachments

• P9150101.JPG
    P9150101.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 354
Daniel Kalal said:
Bill Hagan said:
...reference to Jean-Claude Killy...after some more exploration...Portillo Pass in Chile.

Oh yes; the young and fearless Jean-Claude growing up in the shadows of the high alpine mountains of...Chile!

You mock me, you bully! :p

But, it was not that far-fectched, especially for those who did not cheat and go to your travel albums. :laugh:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIS_Alpine_World_Ski_Championships_1966 & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Claude_Killy

Compare the vista ... not far off:

689863-The_chilenian_customs-Portillo.jpg

And, series4, I won't "compete" for awhile, to see if this thread can get a few more souls drawn into it. ;)

Googler Bill

Bill Hagan said:
But, it was not that far-fectched, especially for those who did not cheat and go to your travel albums. :laugh:
Me? I'm still on December 1976 ....... :lol: :lol:

Series4 said:
BTW Dan, this is what an assembled LM3 looks like (OK, sans one side cover that wouldn't fit over the car coil I had to fit)
I'm not quite there yet ..... we still we got another 5 cm of snow yesterday.(Crap)

Should I turn left or right on this one? :huh:

Attachments

• Side view.jpg
    Side view.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 335
  • Ligne de partage des Eaux.jpg
    Ligne de partage des Eaux.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 335
I think I remember seeing that one in which case I think you need to look south. The corner is a sharp left hander on a D road numbered less than 500. You are correctly on the Ardeché though

Contador will know this piece of road

someplace along here?...
tour2010.jpg

On US maps, the continental divide is always shown as if it were just as important as rivers and roads and railroad tracks. But, none of my maps of France seem to care about the divide at all. There are some pretty amazing GoogleEarth tracks out there for the Tour de France that allow you to glide along the entire route. Am I fairly close with this bit?

Back