• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

guess this road......

You live a lot farther north than I thought. I generally head down just south of you when I take off for a 2 or 3 day ride. One of my favorite roads is 39 from 81 all the way to 20 in WV though the Goshen Pass area is the best. I normally stay in Marlinton or Snowshoe and take in the WV Highland Scenic Parkway (150). Rode it one fall taking photos of the snow falling on the pines. That was after lunch at the Swinging Bridge Restaurant in Paint Bank, WV on 311, another great road.

Hi Bill, it wasn't a waste of time, searching on google is what lunch times are for these days :)

I'm planning a big day out if the weather is good and hopefully, I'll have an interesting picture for you in a few weeks. ;)

Understand; look forward to that picture puzzle. :clap:

Bill

You live a lot farther north than I thought. I generally head down just south of you when I take off for a 2 or 3 day ride. One of my favorite roads is 39 from 81 all the way to 20 in WV though the Goshen Pass area is the best. I normally stay in Marlinton or Snowshoe and take in the WV Highland Scenic Parkway (150). Rode it one fall taking photos of the snow falling on the pines. That was after lunch at the Swinging Bridge Restaurant in Paint Bank, WV on 311, another great road.

Yup. We are at the literal top of Virginia -- the REAL Northern Virginia, not the D.C. metro blob. We are so near the W.V. line that W.V. LEO's cut across by my place to get to other roads in theirs! They scare me to death sometime when I am cooking along on Virginia back roads that our state and county folks rarely patrol and here comes an obvious cop. I now know their unmarked livery, so tend to panic less, but it's still unsettling. :(

Anyway, yes, know and like all the roads you mention. In fact, as you know, hard to find bad road this way. For example -- tho, apologies if I've posted this before -- this one starts 1/2 mile from my driveway:

For my monthly runs to Atlanta, I just slab it in the car -- unless in the Mini when I play a bit ;) -- but on the Guzzis, while I do go on those you mention, my favorite is to run Va. SR 42 from just west of Woodstock all the way to near Abington. I think that 42 was designed for a Norge. That said, I'll be on my EV that way next Thursday. :)

Best,

Bill

No guesses? Ok, it is the bridge, in this view from, Thurmond WV near the New River Bridge. An abandoned coal town that has been saved and you can walk through with a museum immediately behind me in this photo. The road leading in twists and turns with great scenery but is slightly wider than one lane in spots. The bridge is one way at a time.

No guesses? Ok, it is the bridge, in this view from, Thurmond WV near the New River Bridge. An abandoned coal town that has been saved and you can walk through with a museum immediately behind me in this photo. The road leading in twists and turns with great scenery but is slightly wider than one lane in spots. The bridge is one way at a time.

You are too impatient. ;)

Seriously, you have cost me at least an hour out of my life googling bridges in Ohio and W.V., especially for single-side trusses, as your photo tricked me into thinking that somehow the bridge only had one. I should have looked more closely. I'd be a lousy target analyst for DoD. :giggle:

Think I have been to Thurmond at least once. Not a hopping place ... except maybe freight cars. :cry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurmond,_West_Virginia

Nice puzzler.

Bill

Here is a new road from my recent ride.

Thurmond Road. Crossing the New River.

Can you believe this (about Thurmond, WV)?

"2000 census[edit]
As of the
census [4] of 2000, there were seven people, five households, and one family residing in the town. The population density was 70.5 inhabitants per square mile (27.0/km²). There were seven housing units at an average density of 70.5 per square mile (27.0/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 100.00% White.

There were five households out of which none had children under the age of 18 living with them, one was a
married couple living together, and four were non-families. Three households were made up of individuals and two had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.40 and the average family size was 2.00.

In the town the population was spread out with one from 18 to 24, one from 25 to 44, three from 45 to 64, and two who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 56 years. There were five females and two males.

The median income for a household in the town was $23,750, and the median income for a family was $0. The
per capita income for the town was $10,782. There were no families living below the poverty line."

Last edited:
Bill:
The photo is a screen grab from my GoPro. There are railroad tracks on the right side of the bridge. I walked out part way on the walkway next to the tracks then jumped onto the tracks as I didn't like walking on rotted boards that flexed under my weight. Trains still cross at times so I figured the tracks were safe. I'm not quite that heavy yet.

Dave:
I really want to know how those statistics equal nobody below the poverty line! As far as I could see nobody actually lived there unless the houses on the road in were counted as Thurmond. I saw people in those though they showed evidence of the income level.
It is still a station for Amtrack twice a day coming from and to New York City and Chicago plus D.C. A coal train passed through while we were there.

Lots of good riding in WV. I like to stay at the state park lodges and if you are a veteran you can get 10% discount. Some of the lodges that is the only discount available. If you are ever in Lewisburg and have some time to kill spend $30, or more as that was a few years ago, and tour what was a top secret fallout shelter for congress under the Greenbrier resort. If in no rush you can go the length of the state north and south on routes 16 or 20. Personally I love 39 into VA or just riding 60 or 219. Almost any of the back roads are interesting.
Here is more on Thurmond.

Attachments

• IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 4
OK, time to hit this hoop and get it rolling again.

I'll be surprised if anyone gets this, yet it's a well-known motorcycle road in the southeast.

I just ran it on my EV this past Tuesday. Hint, it's NOT in Virginia, W.V., Tennessee, or N.C.

i-bWHJSTJ-L.jpg

Bill

Purely a guess but knowing you like the twistys and the hints you gave I am going with near Suches, GA possibly on Route 60. I had to cheat and look up the road as I have been down there but many years ago.

Purely a guess but knowing you like the twistys and the hints you gave I am going with near Suches, GA possibly on Route 60. I had to cheat and look up the road as I have been down there but many years ago.

Not bad. But wrong. :rofl:

I (and many others) love that stretch of Ga. SR 60 between Suches and Morganton, as it offers a little bit of everything we all love about this motolust we share.

i-HqjxWpF-L.png

But, no, that pic was on Alabama SR 281 on Cheaha Mountain; http://www.exploresouthernhistory.com/cheaha1.html.

i-28RK6rJ-L.png

Recently resurfaced with "real" blacktop (i.e., without its former ADOT chip seal BB's! :swear:), it is pure paved joy. I wrote about it years ago in the MGNOC newsletter: http://www.mgnoc.com/print/print_article_yeeha__we're_going_to_cheaha_.html

But, want to try again, anyone? Same hints.

Where's this? Taken this past Thursday, 17 November.

i-w7vx9Wr-L.jpg

Bill

Last edited:
What!

No takers?

Even bad guesses?

Shameful.

No doubt many of you are still napping after too much turkey ... and Amarone. :giggle:

OK, perhaps more hints before I ID it for you slugs.

That last "where is it?" pic is of a well-known m/c road in Georgia. That shot looks north.

It also runs along a ridge line that -- I have read :nerd: and topo maps support -- is the remains of an ancient volcanic caldera.

A famous golf course is nearby as well as a former U.S. president's getaway.

So, any guesses or center-visible-mass hits now?

Bill

Slackards!

What is this, a Honda forum? :giggle:

OK, deadbeats :party:, Georgia SR 190 along the top of Pine Mountain, near Warm Springs, Ga., and Calloway Gardens.

Only about 26 miles, but so fine, especially on a Guzzi that matches the foliage. ;)

The actual photo was taken at about where that first "190" oval from the left, looking toward Atlanta, about 80 miles to the north.

i-J77jjWx-L.png

https://goo.gl/maps/GFYeesHftt42

So, having failed on that miserably with a DNS, how about trying this?

i-GMVjWt4-L.jpg

Hints? You snivel for hints? :rofl:

OK. U.S. Midatlantic.

More? Lordy.

Let's see if any nibbles before I toss any more crumbs.

Bill

Nice one Bill... I missed this until now. I don't think I would've guessed the shots with the EV as that whole area looks too similar. Trying to recall if I rode that stretch, though I'm sure I likely did (admittedly in the late 80's! Gulp!). I guess same for the covered bridge shot, been too long to wager a guess for me.

Howdy, Todd. I have no doubt you have been all over those at one time or another.

The "sameness" is in part due to my uninspired photography skills!

That said, I am so inspired the Eastern woods, and especially the Appalachian spine, that I exult in their "sameness."

[Pardon my fancified, near girly word; just finishing -- thankfully, as it's been near torture -- a dual biography of Coleridge and Wordsworth, and I am starting to write as if I am in 1799! :giggle:]

Seriously, I am always near awestruck -- no, I am awestruck -- by the West when I visit. But, no matter how vast, stunning, or overwhelming the view of those landscapes, only rural America of the east coast calls to me in a spiritual way.

Anyway, I can certainly understand how one overlook on the BRP looks to many just like the more than 200 others. Ditto many other eastern ridge and valley roads from Alabama to Maine. But they aren't to me.

Come visit. Always a spare bedroom and Guzzi for you to try out some of the local roads. Besides, I owe your for your generosity of several years ago when I was out your way.

Best,

Bill

The "sameness" is in part due to my uninspired photography skills!
That said, I am so inspired the Eastern woods, and especially the Appalachian spine, that I exult in their "sameness." Anyway, I can certainly understand how one overlook on the BRP looks to many just like the more than 200 others. Ditto many other eastern ridge and valley roads from Alabama to Maine. But they aren't to me.
Nah, wouldn't say that. Most of the Smokey Mtn Range just looks same same to me. I know it's not this way when you are there, it just photographs that way (and it's not you!). BRP has its moments, but it's the feeder roads to and from that shine IMO.
Seriously, I am always near awestruck -- no, I am awestruck -- by the West when I visit. But, no matter how vast, stunning, or overwhelming the view of those landscapes, only rural America of the east coast calls to me in a spiritual way.
I hear you... the Southwest does that for me. I've been doing some research on my Family history on both Italian and Irish sides, and it's no wonder I like the SW.
Come visit. Always a spare bedroom and Guzzi for you to try out some of the local roads. Besides, I owe your for your generosity of several years ago when I was out your way.
I will take you up on that, appreciated. That was a memorable trip for me as well. Happy to have been able to offer it up. We have a spare room and plenty of bikes to ride now too, thanks to the RentAGuzzi/RideMalibu Fleet. ;)

Slackards!

<snip>

So, having failed on that miserably with a DNS, how about trying this?

i-GMVjWt4-L.jpg

Hints? You snivel for hints? :rofl:

OK. U.S. Midatlantic.

More? Lordy.

Let's see if any nibbles before I toss any more crumbs.

Bill

Lordy. FGS, it's winter, at least in the Northern Hemisphere, and no one is bored enough even to guess? :cry:

OK ... for both of you who may care :giggle: ...

Bill

Ridin with Ivan 018

Being a little new around here, I thought I should introduce you to a few of the roads I've ridden.
Here's one I rode 4 or 5 years ago with a buddy. I was on my 1800 Wing and he was riding a Valk. This spring or summer I plan to return to this road, on my Norge! One of the best I've had the pleasure of rolling down.

Yup, that's the road way down below,

Hint, I'm from Canada but this road isn't.

Last edited:
I've only ridden in one other country than my own. Here's another from the same ride. The town at the end of the road. My Wing and Uni-Go and my buddy on his Valk.
It was such a great road that we turned around and rode back on it. And I will be going back again.
Ridin with Ivan 030

Back