• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gutsi or Guzzi?

sign216 said:
I once got into a pissing contest with a grizzled old Harley rider. He kept calling it guh-zzi, and I kept saying gootsie.

Here's my theory, which your observation fits.

Back in the day, Guzzis were rather popular in the U.S., especially in the Midwest. During that time (I suggest) the common pronunciation was guh - zee, with maybe a bit of goo - zee current too. (But no goot - zee.)

Then Guzzis nearly disappeared from the U.S., so the word fell into disuse. Many of us modern owners have no direct connection to the now-grizzled bikers who stalked the Great Plains when Guzzis roamed freely. We learned about the bikes from magazines and web sites, and wondered how to pronounce the name. So we looked it up, and with modern connectivity soon found the authentic Italian pronunciation, which was unknown during the old days.

So, I suggest, you'll never convince the grizzled old Harley rider that he's wrong, because he wasn't wrong when he learned the old American pronunciation firsthand. You're wrong by his very reasonable standard. Want to sound more macho? Say guh - zee, or goo - zee, or anything but goot - zee.

Guh-zee?
Seems almost like our greek "γκάζι" ("gahzee" or so) which comes from the word "gas" and is also commonly used as "throttle grip/pedal" and may be used to describe in one word a faaaaast vehicle like "How are you getting along with your gas?".
So, if I got it right, all US Guzzisti of olds were saying they own a fast vehicle, in modern greek.

However, due to proximity to fellow Italians, Guzzi here is pronounced almost like in Italy - just with thicker and longer U, less musically.

sign216 said:
I asked a coworker who grew up in Italy and he said "gootsie."

I pronounce it that way, but I wonder if it makes me an ass. Like someone who calls their Porche a "Porch-sha."

When I say "Gootsie" to non-riders, I feel pretentious and affected. Like I'm holding a teacup with my pinkie extend.

Joe

Don't hold your pinkie out, but be sure to wave your arms in the air as you say Goot-zee! :D

roofus said:
sign216 said:

I pronounce it that way, but I wonder if it makes me an ass. Like someone who calls their Porche a "Porch-sha."

When I say "Gootsie" to non-riders, I feel pretentious and affected. Like I'm holding a teacup with my pinkie extend.

Joe

Don't hold your pinkie out, but be sure to wave your arms in the air as you say Goot-zee! :D

Have you been drinking the Agip again?

OK everyone. Is it Norge or Nor-gay. My froggie wife tells me that Nor-gay is most correct since the e is an a sound and the last vowel is pronounced.
I think.

Hey Brian,

Go to the Nevada rally this year and you can hear how an American/Norwegian says Norway in Norwegian. Before I knew that Norge was not an Italian word I pronounced it as if it were Italian but with an american accent - Norj. Now I just avoid the word. "Yup, the Breva with the extra plastic"

"Nor-gay" is an american pronunciation. Any Brits wanna chime in? For some phonological we Americans don't like the "e" to sound like the "e" in bet at the end of a word. It's like trying to comb down a cowlick. It's not a grammatical rule but its fits. Nor-gay is akin to how we in the bay area say San Jose (San Ho-say). The first syllable of Jo-se is approximately original and the second is that stubborn cowlick. The correct way to say anything is the way you grow up hearing it. There are towns across the county with the same name that are pronounced differently. Okay, I'll shut up now. Nah, one more thing: There's at least one town in which the folks in it pronounce the it's name two ways: that's Cambria CA one with the accent on the first A and the second with the accent on the I. The reason is English doesn't use accent punctuation.

See you in Nevada!

No-r-ghe

Back in the early 70s I lived in Stockholm, where "Norge" is pronounced "Nor-yeh," and I'm guessing that Norwegian pronunciation isn't far off from that.

sign216 said:
roofus said:
sign216 said:

Joe

Have you been drinking the Agip again?

2012 was a good vintage! :D

I just turned 40 and I have always wanted a motorcycle. I've taken the course and got my license. Now I want a Guzzi. Either a Griso 1100 or a Breva 1100. Given that these are neither super fast nor extremely powerful bikes, would they be ok for a beginner?

Too heavy.
When you get the hang of it they will be ok for everything normal but once you find yourself in a not-normal situation like patch of oil under acceleration or wet tarmac while you are leaned or when you get into a corner too fast by mistake or some car/animal cuts your path and you must do violent evasive manoveur
you will find yourself hopelessly inadequate on how to perform proper control.
That is why you need flight hours on smaller bikes, in order to acquire the automatic reaction experience that will save your @ss and maybe life when something unpredictable happens.
Best and fastest way to acquire this knowledge is a light trail bike on easy flat gravel roads, if it is feasible at you area and budget. Gravel riding with a light bike can emulate faster riding glitches on tarmac with a heavier bike but without the catastrophic consequences if you loose control (and are properly dressed up).
Or follow some proper course of tarmac classes and get a smaller bike for a year or so to gather flight experience.
The high speed region (200kph/125mph +) is a very different area that can only be properly approached cautiously step by step as things change a lot due to high frame/suspension loading upon bumps BUT hopefully both bikes you are interested are just touching this speed area so no bothering.

Try one of the Guzzi 750s; Classic, Cafe, or Racer.
I've been riding for almost 30 years and I am pleased with my V7 Classic.

Joe

P.S. Gosh, I remember "back in the day" when a 750 was a super bike. When younger, I recall looking at a chum's Honda 360 and thinking that was a full size bike. What happened?

megancheung said:
I just turned 40 and I have always wanted a motorcycle. I've taken the course and got my license. Now I want a Guzzi. Either a Griso 1100 or a Breva 1100. Given that these are neither super fast nor extremely powerful bikes, would they be ok for a beginner?

A Griso would be a great ride for you. Forget the naysayers here. I taught the MSF riding class for over 10 years. Remember this basic concept: the principals of correct motorcycle operation are THE SAME regardless of the size of the motorcycle, hence this is why we can train you in proper technique on a 125cc bike, and you can immediately transfer and implement this knowledge onto a 1200 cc Griso!

Oh, and just for fun here,

Io sono italiano, 'e la pronuncia corretta 'e "Mow Tow Goots Sea". The double consonant splits on both syllables.

:)

Cat City Rider said:
OK everyone. Is it Norge or Nor-gay. My froggie wife tells me that Nor-gay is most correct since the e is an a sound and the last vowel is pronounced.
I think.

When my wife and I visited the Guzzi museum in Mandello del Lario last summer, I asked one of the Italian gentlemen who was working there, the proper pronunciation of "Norge." His reply: "That's easy. Nor-gay." That pretty much settled it for me.

Cheers,

Bruce

You are correct Bruce! In Italian, the final "e" is normally pronounced like "a" in the word "day". Growing up Italian American, I always thought English sounded funny compared to Italian, but in the case of "Norge", I admit, the Italian pronunciation makes me chuckle. :lol:

FOLLOW UP:

Went exploring and talked to some of my Italian friends. They said it's a highly unusual word and even Italians may say it either way, but that he would say Nor-jeh.

I decided to look for a video in Italian where they talk about the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eql7rM0BgY

0:40, Italian man pronounces it both ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERsyWo9rhco

0:07, Italian man pronounces it Nor-jeh.

I learn something new everyday. :oops:

found a fun flick of a 8V Norge test ride. Good part starts around 10 minutes in.

Around 25.22 minutes, Tor, a Norwegian speaking English, says 'Norge' in Italian and in Norwegian.

Bruce, curious - does his Italian pronunciation jibe with what you heard in Italia?

forgot to add the link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0mchSL4GkQ

Back