• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi cafe racer,LSR racing

Rough Edge Racing

Tuned and Synch'ed
I just finished building this cafe racer from a well used 85 California. Swapped to spoke wheels,eliminated clutter ,home made parts,shortened existing cable,made a wiring harness,battery under chassis,but left the engine stock other than open exhaust. Replaces wheel bearings, swing arm and steering neck bearings and of course the U- joints. Surprising the exhaust is no where as loud as a Harley and the bike runs well through the RPM range.The engine has 106,000 miles but I have no idea if it was ever apart.
Last weekend was the ECTA one mile standing start finals in Ohio.Very serious cars and bikes at these meets,some exceeding 230 mph.
Out old Triumph bumped it own record up to 120 MPH in 650cc modified production class putting the competition on trailer.
My rider made three passes on the Guzzi all nearly identical 116 MPH. All i did was install 135 main jets in the 30 mm PHF's.This speed actually set a new class record in 1000 cc modified production.You might think Sportsters and BMW's would be all over this pushrod class ???
Modified production is a naked bike class with with no engine restrictions other than it must retain the basic layout . At Bonneville and El Mirage there more interest in thisclass with Guzzi record holders near 160 mph .

The Guzzi is fun to ride and the reduced weight makes it a bit less bulky at lower speeds.

9771808022_534a92f639_c.jpg

Re: Guzzi cafe racer,LSR raing

looks and sounds like a lot of fun to ride!

Re: Guzzi cafe racer,LSR raing

That looks smart mate, I like the way you've hidden the battery :) Did it take much messing with the carbs to get it running right? I wouldn't have thought it would run that well on those short pipes and the K&N type air filters but it obviously does if you're racing it-just goes to show that I'm no expert then lol!

essexboydave said:
That looks smart mate, I like the way you've hidden the battery :) Did it take much messing with the carbs to get it running right? I wouldn't have thought it would run that well on those short pipes and the K&N type air filters but it obviously does if you're racing it-just goes to show that I'm no expert then lol!
The bike runs excellent with the 36 inch pipes and the stock cross over. No funny power band just steady increasing power from idle to 7000 rpm. Raised the needles one notch,#135 main jets. Some one in the past had stretched a distributor advance spring ... I left it that way and set the total advance at 32 degrees.
I was told by others it won't run worth a damn with shorter pipes.This may be true with highly tuned Guzzi engines but on a stock one,not necessarily so. My old Triumph race bike has short pipes,the competition had traditional long pipes. They can't catch me ...

I'd bet there's plenty of power hidden with another type of exhaust system. Did you dyno this set up? Free-flow is good, but a balance pipe and some sort of reversion dampers would be nothing but beneficial I'd bet.

Thanks for the post though, and words on the speed runs.

Something to consider;
On the 36 and 40mm carbs, the standard type conical shaped K&N air filters had too little surface area and restricted air flow in the top end. They needed the vertically elongated cones that had the carb attachment point offset to one end.

Don't know if this translates to your 30mm carbs and your increased VE / CFM mods.

The stock crossover is still on the Guzzi... There is no reversion and I know what reversion is because the Triumph has enough for two bikes :D My rider used to 1000 cc crotch rockets was impressed with the Guzzi engine response on the street. Shorter pipes work fine on mild engines and for some LSR racers . LSR is a longer drag race where the only concern is top end power.

We ran two runs with air cleaners on,one with them off. No real difference. On a higher HP engine for sure better flowing filters....

Try to take the filters off and replace them with velocity stacks. You need the intake length back that is lost with mounting K&N's. I did a back to back comparison with the larger type off-set K&N's and velocity stacks on 40mm carbs and gained 3-5 hp over the whole rpm range, plus the motor pulled over 8000rpm instead of dropping off at 7300rpm. The engine was a mid size valved 992cc with V7 sport cam shaft with a restrictive exhaust system.
66rwhp with the large K&N's, 70rwhp with stacks, measured without jet modifications.
JR

There's intake length formulas to tune the peak power RPM. For instance on this photo of my Triumph the total intake length from velocity stack bell mouth to intake valve is 12.5 inches.Generally this will make power peak at 7200 rpm. Some tuners say it's better to have all the length from carb to valve.In this case that would have the carbs interfering with the rider's legs.There's more to with camshaft and other engine characteristics affecting the power peak but it's fairly accurate.There is a down side,increased reversion.....
I think the 30 mm carbs restrict the airflow enough to make intake tuning less important than say with 36 mm carbs.But I have limited experience Tuning Guzzi's ............
I shoulda posted this in the racing forum :D

10056912434_08ab831961_z.jpg

Intake tuned length 13" 7250 rpm. Peak power at 8400 rpm, red line at 9250 rpm. Engines making peak power at lower rpm should have extended intake tuned length for best torque and power curve.

Åke Jonsson Engineering.

Attachments

• Moto Guzzi Nyberg 1.jpg
    Moto Guzzi Nyberg 1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 742
Strosek Ultra said:
Intake tuned length 13" 7250 rpm. Peak power at 8400 rpm, red line at 9250 rpm. Engines making peak power at lower rpm should have extended intake tuned length for best torque and power curve.

I Had to compromise length due to space limitations.On LSR top speed bikes in the winner circle I see very little consensus on intake and exhaust length. I tune the engine for the track not on a dyno.
We're going to do some modifications to the 1000 Guzzi engine mainly for street .I see most have a two into one exhaust...

Back