• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi Revolution

Guzzistaracing said:
I am sick and tired of hearing from you nit wit people that "guzzis from the past was not light and nimble" this is a refernce to the bikes in the 40-50-60' where they had low power but had half the weight! The dondolino, bi-cilindrica, condore and other of their bikes was extremely lightweight! If you want to have MG surviving it has to re-invent itself again. They have to move to water cooled engines(emissions) and lighter bikes, the buying public today read the tech spec. first then they go for a test ride. If you do not have the performance they never comes to do a test ride at all and you do not sell bikes. If you can get a bike, similar looking, with double the performanse at the same price, what do you think they will consider?
I think you need to re-read this thread.
Guzzi was one of the top small bike makers in the 40's-50's-60's. But the quote referred to the Guzzi's of the 70's and compared THEM to current Guzzi's, saying the Guzzi's of the 70's were small and light whereas modern Guzzi's are too large and heavy.
Modern Guzzi's are large and heavy. They are based on Guzzi's from the 70's. But they are miles better in evolution.
While I would agree that Guzzi could use a lightweight drive train that could be the basis for lighter faster bikes, taking a modern Guzzi and beating it with the ugly stick is not going to achieve that.

Triumph have a good thing going, with a range of modern, light and powerful bikes -- but also a range of "modern classic" bikes (Bonnie, Scrambler, Thruxton etc.) that cash in on their heritage.

In principle I think that could be great for Guzzi, especially as bikes like the V7 Classic have a much clearer link back to the original V7s, than the modern classic Triumphs do to Edward Turner's originals.

Should Guzzi really start to build something that would be their equivalent of the Daytona 675, though? Perhaps, as far as Piaggio are concerned, they already do that; but they paint "Aprilia" on the tank. Perhaps the future for Guzzi is to be Piaggio's equivalent of the Triumph modern classic range?

I don't think that it was those soft classics that saved Triumph though, was it?

That's why I mentioned the Speed Triple and its continued evolution into 2011. Only one and not particularly the most important example of success.

It seems to me that people across the world have been shouting 'Wake Up Guzzi!' for such a long time without any stirring or resurgence of vital signs, that the point of recovery could be assumed to be past now. ?

I don't suppose Triumph would be such a successful business without both lines of bikes - the proper modern ones, plus the "modern classics"? If they only made the classic style bikes, they'd be a real niche manufacturer, trading on nostalgia. If they only made modern style bikes, they'd miss out on the whole heritage thing.

The thing is, Triumph is one company with just the one brand, so if they make both types of bike, they both appear branded as Triumph.

Piaggio on the other hand has several brands. They can build classic style bikes, trading on nostalgia and the heritage; and also build totally modern bikes. But they have no need to sell both types as one brand. They could decide the Guzzi is the ideal brand for the classic bikes, and Aprilia for modern bikes.

I'm not advocating that, and I also have no insight into Piaggio strategy, so maybe they're not planning anything like that at all. It's a possibility though. Guzzi don't have to build anything like, for example, the new Speed Triple because Aprilia can do it -- and anyone in the market for that sort of bike might be more receptive to one with Aprilia on the tank, rather than Moto Guzzi?

In the same way, something like the V7C probably wouldn't be as well received if it was badged Aprilia. The Guzzi badge confers a licence to be slow and clanky and try to roll over sideways when you open the throttle :D

We need something in the middle: Modern Guzzi basic archtecture but not as contemporary as Aprilia. Guzzis are a bit too classic and Aprilia are too short lived.
Aprilia is teen to 20 year old gal and Guzzi is a 40+ year old lady.
I need a 30-32 year old woman: Lady enough and tramp enough. Ducati is too sporty for me - I do not go to the gym.
Triumph? Bah, i prefer Italian food....

Mi_ka said:
Triumph? Bah, i prefer Italian food....

motorcycle selection by food preference?

interesting theory... does this explain the early demise of the Scottish bike industry?

and why Harleys are ridden by fat blokes?

icenian said:
Guzzi don't have to build anything like, for example, the new Speed Triple because Aprilia can do it -- and anyone in the market for that sort of bike might be more receptive to one with Aprilia on the tank, rather than Moto Guzzi?
I do know what you're saying, but....

Aprilia and MG are not one brand (Piaggio) with different model names. It's not a case of the same management, marketing, support, etc being applied to both equally (as far as I can see) or it's not a case of, if one succeeds, both succeed and if one fails, both fails.

If most people want the Aprilia offering and if Piaggio supports those bikes much better than they do the MG bikes, then MG, with few buyers and no care, is not going to survive on the fact that Aprilia are doing better.

I know that people have been crying out for the Guzzi sport bike and surely the brand deserves it because of the heritage (people do want a different machine - with the MG badge on it, with the heritage, if only they could get it). Otherwise, the MG futurebike degenerates into further pastiche of some notion of a 'classic' bike – and then becomes irrelevant and disappears.
I mean ----- the classics people don't want modern Guzzis! They aren't buying them. I can't speak for USA, but in the UK that is what I see time and again. The question has been asked many times on all the forums: time and time again the 'classics' guys proclaim from their very gut that they will never buy a new Guzzi. Their oldie is the best and who needs anything more? If they do buy another Guzzi, it will be another 'old classic' tried, tested, fixed and set to run another 10, 20, 30 years.

So where is the future hope for increasing Guzzi sales and for building anything approaching a competent dealer, service and care network for all the imagined new classic customers?

Joe Bar said:
Not sure about Terblanche's idea of style or track record, so let's hope it's Galuzzi that's holding the design pencils and that Terblanche is just doing the colouring in :D ;)

Here Here
Guzzi doesn't need a floor warmer like the 999.

caspar said:
The issue is that Moto Guzzi doesn't have market share in any of the categories it currently has a model in, this is an issue because they aren't breaking into new ground. Instead they are keeping the old pool of buyers that have been enthusiasts for years, many are on this forum, including myself. Guzzi need to be winning over new people and doing this before they get to the showroom. They can do this by making attractive bikes both aesthetically and on paper. I feel that their on paper attraction is lacking, with over weight and under powered bikes.
Back in the 'hay day' people would go to motorcycle shops to by a LeMans or a V7, people would see them in the street and think that is the bike they want. Now they see them in the street and think they are interesting, but the BMW/Ducati/HD in the same category is technically superior.

I think there are markets that could be tapped into. Having been involved in motorcycle sales (Honda Yamaha) bikes for smaller stature people men and women alike would seem to sell well. My 2 cents would be a retro V65 Lario with fuel injection and 4 valves with good springs. Having owned an 85 Lario it has been over my riding life one of my favorite bikes to ride. I think part of Guzzis problem stems from ( in Canada anyway ) its ties with the other brands. I dont think a dealership can just be Guzzi. If you could have a small dealership just selling the Goose it would do very well from some funky little shop with a wooden floor.
As far as styling goes I do prefer DeTomaso over Terblanche.

Twinsport said:
I think there are markets that could be tapped into. Having been involved in motorcycle sales (Honda Yamaha) bikes for smaller stature people men and women alike would seem to sell well. My 2 cents would be a retro V65 Lario with fuel injection and 4 valves with good springs. Having owned an 85 Lario it has been over my riding life one of my favorite bikes to ride. I think part of Guzzis problem stems from ( in Canada anyway ) its ties with the other brands. I dont think a dealership can just be Guzzi. If you could have a small dealership just selling the Goose it would do very well from some funky little shop with a wooden floor.
As far as styling goes I do prefer DeTomaso over Terblanche.

A retro Lario - I sure agree :cheer:
8V revival - improved on a new SB line :idea: YES! Gets my vote any day.
Saluti :)

One gap Guzzi could fill is a return to a smallblock NTX ...especially now the Stevio has provided the additional tank range the high mileage guys want but gets heavier and faster..

I would only run one bigblock Guzzi and for me at the moment my Breva still fits the bill ..

a lighter, small tanked V75 (or in reality V50 if they made a new smaller engine/gearbox/shaft unit rather than just sleeved down the V75 so it lost power but no weight). Less power> narrower rubber>, lighter overall might entice me to add a second Guzzi to my garage

Art

Or they could do a single using half an 8v 1200 motor. A light 600cc single could be fun.
I have no issues with Guzzi making things other then transverse V twins. I just don't have any interest in an Aprilia re-badged as a Guzzi or an existing Guzzi tarted up and beaten with an ugly stick then branded "new". If/when they start telling us the new Guzzi's look better in 3-D then 2-D I know we're hosed.
Anyway..... singles, smaller twins, liquid cooled, V fours, what ever. As long as it is still a Guzzi at heart. I hope they are smart enough to keep making motorcycles that are unique and not trying to take on the Japanese directly. Triumph made that mistake briefly before coming to their senses.

I'd like to see them do a modern cafe styled bike with and updated horizonal 500 single. How fun would that be?

I would enjoy seeing a Stelvio frame and engine...done up as a proper scrambler but with aluminum luggage, single conventional headlamp, twin scrambler pipes up high, semi dirt tires, luggage rack and exposed trellis type subframe at the rear... More power then the new proposed V7Scrambler...

vivo

WitchCityBallabio said:
I'd like to see them do a modern cafe styled bike with and updated horizonal 500 single. How fun would that be?

No, make the 500 single a retro classic, along the lines of the Royale Enfield. Hell, Guzzi probably still has the old tooling.

:D As the owner of a classic single, I thought I'd chip in.
A new one would need to be significantly lighter: Mine weighs a ton!
It would have to make substantially more power: Mine makes 25bhp on a good day!
It would have to be a lot quieter: Mine sounds like a Bren gun!
They would have to put the gear lever on the wrong side, and alter the shift pattern: It is a terrible gearbox!
It would be nice to see a 2011 model Falcone, but I cannot see it!

I think the reality is we will not see anything too new or exciting from Piaggio. Yeah many of us would love a Guzzi sports bike but it aint gonna happen. A revamped small block range? Would be nice but aint gonna happen.

Too many bikes in the Aprilia range that fufill these niches anyway, so Guzzi will make cruisers, roadsters and retros.

The Terreblanche designed prototypes aren't gonna turn into anything real, and it looks like the only genuine new bike coming up soon is the new 1400cc cruiser.

Well... I have my very red Griso and every single time I park it up someone comes up to me and tells me how cool the thing is... I've had kids and old men tell me they admired the thing.... That show bike/production crap bike that Terrblanche "designed" is about the worst capricious dribble with no redeeming reasons it should ever ever exist...it breaks no new ground in terms of engineering, it's confused visually, more Breva than Griso to my eyes but heavy handed...nothing Classic OR modern...limbo I can't wait to see how he does at Norton but I have a feeling he will do something worthy...just a hunch

vivo

Back