• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

guzzi v50 mk2

mushman

Just got it firing!
Hi guys I am new to the forum
I have acquired a guzzi v50 which has not run for the past 25years , and in the process of restoring it,
I have a question that I would appreciate an answer to.
The work shop manual and owners manual show that there are two magnetic ignition triggers , but my v50 has only 1,
it is all original and there is no provision for 2 triggers.
please can someone throw some light on this , as I am in the process of trying to get a spark
Any help appreciated
regards
Harvey Mushman

On the Mk I and Mk II V50s there are definitely two ignition pickups. They are mounted 90 degrees apart at approx 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock relative to the crankshaft behind the alternator. There are also two Bosch ignition modules mounted either side of the battery under the side panels.

Thank you Brian for reply
I can confirm that there is only one pick up, the bike is its original condition with only 9k miles on the clock
I have had the coils checked , which are nippodenso coils , again rather strange, and the guy who tested the coils without prompting said this a wasted spark set up , confirming the single trigger .I agree with you that both manuals I have show two pick ups this is why I hoped some one could throw some light on the matter , incidently the single pick up has just three wires comiing from it to the transistor box ,
Regards
Mushman

Harvey,

Timing is off the crank. Because of this there has to be a wasted spark as a trigger will fire each time the piston is up, that is, every two cycles of a four cycle engine. This is why most engines are timed off the camshaft to eliminate wasted spark (except early R BMWs with the coils in series and one set of points driven by the cam) which increases coil rise time for greater efficiency. Also there needs to be two sensors as the arrangement of the cylinders is 90 degrees, not a parallel twin or a flat twin.

Assuming the normal V50/V50 II crank pickup, the system is not so much a wasted spark because there is only one pickup, it will be a 250 single because there is only one pickup.
Are you sure it's not a V50 III which would originally have had a points set above the alternator, and which has been converted to an electronic pickup?

Brian UK said:
Assuming the normal V50/V50 II crank pickup, the system is not so much a wasted spark because there is only one pickup, it will be a 250 single because there is only one pickup.
Are you sure it's not a V50 III which would originally have had a points set above the alternator, and which has been converted to an electronic pickup?

Even the V50III requires two pickups. I've converted a few to Dyna ignitions.

Hi guys thanks for the feed back, I think I have established that it is a wasted spark arrangement , the alternator is a Bosch
0120340002 which has the single trigger. I have had the coils checked and they are ok, I could do with some info on testing the trigger,also testing the rectifier which is a Bosch 0197002003, and the electronic box Bosch AD1/14 0120340002
Also any ideas where I can find a wiring diagram to cover this ignition set up
The trigger has three connection marked U V W can anyone tell me what they relate to ,
Regards
Harvey Mushman

Harvey,

Carefully read the posts above. There is no way a 90 degree engine ignition can function with a single trigger. Convert the bike back to stock, or find an after market system for this bike. There is a reason this bike is not running, the single trigger that is installed.

Hi guys
Yes you are quite correct , I cant believe that I hadn't twigged that the magnetic triggers are behind the generator brushes
I am afraid that the only information I have is rather limited,and yes it does have two triggers ,( I am not normally that thick honest)I would still like some advice on testing the rectifier and transistor switch if possible .
Regards
H Mushman

Back