Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - We're offering FREE shipping on orders over $99 for U.S. customers now through Monday (11/30) midnight PST. Use COVID-20-FREE at checkout on the STORE tab above — Please support small business! We wish the best to everyone; Stay healthy and hope you can get out and ride! Also, see our Newsletter link in the General Chat section below.

Guzzis @ Norton Motorcycles

Discussion in '24-7 Lounge' started by Chris Jessop, Jan 10, 2020.

1. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

And of course "Luigi" and "Guizzi" are reknowned world leaders when it comes to slapping grease into their bearings - NOT.

If a big name like BMW sets up a factory in India for assembling their 310GS, trains their staff and enforces rigourous quality control. I don't see it being any worse than being assembled anywhere else in the world.

Wildroamer likes this.
  2. Hydrolastic

Hydrolastic Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I got a couple of photos of a Norton Commander that was at a big motorcycle show at America's Car Museum in Tacoma a few years ago. I knew it was rare, but I found out later just how rare.

NortonCommander1.jpg NortonCommander2.jpg

3. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

I have never experienced any bearing failure nor have I ever repaired one on any Moto Guzzi I have owned, and I’ve owned a bunch and wrenched many more.

The BMW 310 is plagued with quality control issues. For that matter, BMW is full of quality control disasters for several years now.

People can spend their money however they like, but MADE IN INDIA is something that will never be on anything in my garage, ever.

4. blakbird

blakbird Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

My son and I replaced the wheel bearings, on the '96 Sport 1100 (carbi) project bike. Three were still good.
    The one that wasn't failed because a prior owner forgot to install the inner spacer when they transferred the "sprocket" from the stock wheels to the Dymags.

5. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I assume the comment about Guzzi's and greasing bearings was about the common issue of late model Guzzi's to be severely under greased in certain areas like the swing arm pivot and steering head, as well as the shock linkages.
    Wheel bearings are typically not greased as part of assembly of the motorcycle. They are greased in the bearing plant they are made in.
    As has been mentioned before, the main reason Guzzi build motorcycles is so you get the right parts when you buy one (or at least the right NUMBER of parts).

6. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Couldn't be anything to do with how many of them are made in China, could it?

Wildroamer likes this.
  7. mother goose

mother goose Just got it firing!

That is very nice indeed . Some lucky police officers in England got to ride a few just like that only in white with blue lights and sirens and a huge battery for the radio back then . Still getting paid to ride bikes and in that case rotary Norton's was an alright job . I had a loan of a Kawasaki kz1000 police for a couple of days . It was a fast comfortable bike I really liked the saddle and running boards . It's as close to being a cop as I ever got

8. David Bracey

David Bracey Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Glad to see some interest in Norton amongst my fellow Moto Guzzi owners. I grew up 5 miles from Brands Hatch and loved watching the rotaries racing there, I couldn’t afford an F1 but managed to buy an air cooled rotary rolling chassis which I then used as the basis for my race inspired custom creation.

There’s a short bit of film of my bike here:

and a couple of stills here

695A0EFA-DCFD-4858-88BA-1E4165FD8CE9.jpeg 8F6E9324-4F22-4F21-9BAE-DCB66126EBC8.jpeg

It’s fabulous to ride. Light as a 250cc but with about 90bhp. Sits nicely in my garage between my 2 Guzzi’s.

David

scottmastrocinque and Wildroamer like this.
  9. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

Beautiful bike! The sound is lovely too.

David Bracey likes this.
  10. David Bracey

Thanks Raven, it settles down when it’s warmed up. Needs to be revved to get the best out of it but with zero engine braking it’s quite hard on the front brake so I ride the gears quite hard, One day I’ll experiment with some different gear ratios.

11. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

E6F92831-D59A-4323-9906-0F3CE0D771E0.jpeg Ug !
    I’m ok with everything BUT the engine...

David Bracey likes this.
  12. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I don't care for the fat dirtbike, I mean "Scrambler" look. But for a fat dirtbike that looks fine to me.
    The only thing I would change is blacking out (or bronzing out) that shiny clutch cover.

David Bracey likes this.
  13. David Bracey

That Norton isn't for me but I am sure it would sell. It seems to follow Triumph's latest direction.

14. scottmastrocinque

That is ONE UGLY MOTORCYCLE. YUCK!

David Bracey likes this.
  15. DeadEye

ROFL !
    The Thing sitting in the cradle that doesn't present the viewer with anything readily identifiable Is the Biggest Ugly !
    ( It think GuzziMoto might be taking a Leap of faith saying that big shinny round thing is the Clutch cover :) )

I'm not going to say this isn't a *Bit* weird Looking ( Ok maybe a LOT Weird Looking ) but the Engine still looks like a Engine.
    as well as other recognizable pieces, clean, minimalist and Ride-able :nerd:
    UMC-038_MARIN_Left.jpg UMC-038_MARIN_Detail5.jpg

16. scottmastrocinque

Could be my phone screen, but that looks like the bastard love child of a KTM and a Ducati.

Way too industrial looking and “Not my cup of tea” at all.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020 at 5:56 AM
    David Bracey likes this.
  17. DeadEye

If everyone liked the same things there would only be One... of everything..
    Variety - Some is MORE Ugly than others !

David Bracey likes this.
  18. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Looks different from anything I've seen before. I haven't an issue with the engine, but curious to know what it is.