• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GuzziTech: A few thoughts & frustrations...

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Our History: Based on the (seemingly large) need for online Indexing/Archiving real-world user tips and techniques, parts & suppliers for all things Guzzi in early 2001, Ed (also being a BMW fan at the time) showed me a great/basic website called BMWTech.com (long gone). It was simple text of user-submitted tips & tricks. The idea was excellent, so I founded and launched GuzziTech.com in the Fall of '01, with Ed as "content editor."
Most of the data that lives on the main page of http://www.GuzziTech.com (circa '02~04 with few exceptions), well-documents the time when the most popular means of communication was e-mail & e-lists. When web-boards & forums launched to the forefront, I jumped on board to offer this service for the benefit of Guzzisti around the world, to collect/index/archive such data.
Late '02, early '03, we found ourselves in a position to begin offer unique goods and services, so we began and still do to date. We have been criticized for "profiting" from fellow Guzzisti. We have lost great data for this reason; i.e. we lost the opportunity to host data from GuzziTech.dk (he originally contacted us for our blessing), and as we are apparently seen now as "for profit." I could only wish. Furthermore, I have sent requests (over the years) to some of the most knowledgeable "online" Guzzisti on the planet, and encouraged them to participate here... even OK'ing them to post their services and products here to most, and while it happens occasionally, it more often then not, doesn't.
We are *still* non-profit, so any/all donations are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks to a small handful, we (mostly) cover our monthly expenses to operate the website and this Forum, for that, grazie mille.
I am writing largely out of a bit of frustration, as our hard work is seemingly (going) largely fruitless, for those favoring other Forums because there are "more people" elsewhere. With this mindset, there always will be.

The hours of dedication that goes into this website/forum are countless, and while I appreciate the many small donations that trickle in, I really have to evaluate all of this by the end of the year. I have big plans ahead for now, but if those that frequent here don't see it as the "go-to" for all things technical, then my time is being wasted.

Todd,

Please don't give up this site. I've looked at the other "technical" sites and gave up on them. Too much "noise" and not enough technical. This site is well organized and goes to the meat of technical issues.

Having run a site dedicated to 3D software for the past 15 years, I can sympathize. I quickly came to the realization I would never get back anywhere near the effort in, either monatarily or otherwise. It didn't stop me running the site (and packratting information for both my own purposes and to share), nor others from setting up their own similar efforts using data gleaned from my databases. Most just went away when the creators realized that riches were to be found elsewhere.

There is strength in diversity and many visit both your site and others in their quest to learn things Guzzi. I have to admit some confusion when first encountering your pages. Was it a commercial outfit offing information or an information site which also offered some products and services? It didn't really matter, and I've utilized both.

One thing I have found is that it takes a long, long time to build back "clientele", especially if there have been major changes or site instability.

I may make a couple of dollars an hour working on the site. Those bits, over the years, were shoved into an account and eventually amounted to enough to buy my first Guzzi. Along with a VDSTS and PCIII :).

You're time is not being wasted!
I have been lurking on the different boards for years but have become active since I bought my Griso and have always wondered why there aren't more people on this board. It's far and away the best source for information on virtually anything Guzzi related. And you don't have to sift through tons of useless crap to get an answer to a question.
Those who think that you are making a great profit off of the well made and not offered anywhere else products that Guzzitech offers for sale should be thanking you and not criticizing you for covering your costs and trying to be compensated for your time and effort.
I wish the market for cool Guzzi stuff was bigger and you made good money making and selling the stuff, I would love to be able ride down to the Guzzitech shop and have an off the shelf supercharger fitted to my Griso. I hope that the supercharger is part of your upcoming big plans.
I'm willing to help in any way that I can to keep this board going. I don't have a lot money since my job hours have been cut to almost nothing and paying for the PCV/Autotune/ECU, still worth every penny, but I'm donating what extra cash I have and offering my time if it's needed or wanted.
All of your efforts are greatly appreciated.

john zibell said:
Todd,

Please don't give up this site. I've looked at the other "technical" sites and gave up on them. Too much "noise" and not enough technical. This site is well organized and goes to the meat of technical issues.

I echo John 100% Todd

Guzzitech is my go to place all things technical with out the BS, I think I may know what is frustrating you right now but I will "clam" up about it as I my be wrong.

PS The package arrived today and everything was first class as usual.

Thanks for being there and here.

+1 on not giving up the site. I only visit two guzzi related sites - and this one is my go to for technical info.

Rugar said:
There are other Guzzi related sights to go to besides this one? :shock: :lol:

Yes, there are others........ :mrgreen:

BUT this one is by far the most informative and friendly one. Members on this forum are very helpfull, show respect towards eachother, this forum shows what Guzzisti are known for among non-Guzzisti.
I sometimes read on other fora and I don't like the "atmosphere" among the members and don't even think about joining them.

Commercial? I never got "spam" from Todd to buy anything from him and we are free to tip eachother about other retailers who sell Guzzi-stuff, so I think Todd earnes respect for his attitude and work for this forum.

Ciao Dolf. ;)

Don't see where the criticism of profiteering comes from. I paid nothing to join, I only donated when I wanted to and I only bought what I wanted.

Although there are Guzzitech products available I don’t see them being pushed, just offered. Posts reviews alternatives are here.

I took the PCV only option and got no pressure to take the ECU upgrade or Autotune. From posts I’ve read its clear Todd has gone to the trouble of developing maps for the PCV in combo with Mistral cans. If he was really profiteering he’d only develop maps for cans he sold (and I doubt he makes much $$ out of them given the production numbers).

Based on what I read here I’ve already saved the trouble of sourcing valve cover gaskets by reusing the originals when I did a valve check , fitted the Stelvio handguards to my Breva and sourced the Givi panniers and the bits to make myself a pannier rack based on what I read here. I know I could get all this for free by not donating but I ain’t that cheap and figure that there will be a problem if the site doesn’t at least break even without having to sell product.

I ain’t got much knowledge to impart so I decided to treat the site like a online magazine where I can dip in and read all the back issues. I contribute a little every month by Paypal to keep it going.

Keep up the good work running the site – we need a home for all the great posts.

Art

Art, all true on above, thanks... and all others, thanks for all of the compliments and couple donations, appreciated. I wasn't fishing for any, more that I am looking for reasons as to why people don't visit/post here when it comes to (specifically technically related) Guzzi questions/info, etc. I spend a LOT of time via direct e-mail distributing info and even more so in person with my time for free to keep Guzzis going (working on bikes often for free), yet I/we are rarely mentioned in online travels... worse so for products we've sold/sell, and most often for any issues with things we've sold, people seem to go elsewhere first. This really works against me in most cases.
Rugar, funny, but more often then not when I ask.. I get "because the others are bigger/more people/volume."
Help me understand what it is that would/could help.

it would be a pity to see this forum go...

I think it's not necessarily a bad thing if there are less (active) members here than elsewhere. What we have now is a very high quality board, with little noise, and a great atmosphere that only rarely gets a bit tense. Beyond a certain critical mass, that becomes increasingly difficult to maintain.

One of the continuing problems on this and any other board is there will always be people who think that because information is offered for free it is essentially worthless. Like Todd I've spent more than my fair share of time trying to help people, quite often you don't even get a 'Thank You' and if you can't solve a problem from the other side of a computer screen in my case half way around the world, they you're obviously a useless prick. Yes, it shits me to tears as well. I can understand wht Todd gets the irrits.

The only other thing that bugs me is that this board seems to attract more than its fair share of needy whiners. I know Guzzi's aren't for everyone but owning one isn't compulsory. Doing a bit of research BEFORE purchase is made can save a lot of heartache later and 1/2 an hour of perrusing ANY of the Guzzi boards will throw up a whole raft of 'Issues' with the brand that should be more than adequate to scare off the weedy, paranoid and hopeless but it doesn't sem to dawn on people that their purchase decisions are THEIR responsibility.

Personally I've bought three CARC Guzzis and a modern Aprilia and they have all been pretty much faultless. when the CARC bearing went in my 1100 I fixed it. It ain't THAT hard. Getting a dealer who can wade through the mor-ass of Piaggio's obtuse waranty system and who actually have mechanics is something that SHOULD be taken into consideration but once again that would involve a little bit of personal responsibility which seems to be a no-nonowadays with many.

As for Todd's efforts? He spruiks his and Ed's products but I've never felt 'Pressured' to purchase anything and, once again, if I do that is MY decision. I'll live with the consequences. As for 'Profit Motive'?' We're talking Guzzis here! Go outside and give yerself a slap! He's not going to be retiring to the Bahamas to have Brazillian swimsuit models sit on his face on the profits of 50 odd PC-V's and a couple of dozen exhaust pipes.

Pete

A couple of suggestions

I have brought this up before but it has been dismissed as not desirable. So here goes again and these suggestions will generate more traffic on this forum if the forum software will allow it.

1. In each member profile there should be the option to notify a member via E Mail if there is any new posts to the forum or individual forums IE. Tech, Chat etc. If this change is doable or accepted then a post noting the change should be made.

2. If you post on a subject then you are automatically subscribed to that thread, You can always go in and unsubscribe.

Verify that the E Mail notification system is working correctly as I have replied to post's only to discover later that other repies have been posted without any E Mail notification to me.

My 2C

I'm not sure Todd intended this thread for our thoughts about and frustrations with the forum (software)...

... but to reply to draidt:
your point 2) is now moot since the board software was changed back to phpbb. However, email notifications no longer contain the new message's body, AND you only get one for the first addition after you last visited a thread. I must say I don't really see what point 1) is about and/or how it is different from point 2.

Well, it's clear that Kansas photographs won't do the trick... (just a joke. nothing will drop off any forum faster than a topic with the word 'Kansas' in the title.)

Actually, Todd, you've done a terrific job with the site. I think probably that stability is the key to building growth, and the layout you've now got seems to be something that will work without any more rebuilds. Overall, I think the conversations have been really helpful. But, If the occasional inane responder becomes irritating, I'd hope you (and Pete, too) would feel fine about just ignoring the thread.

Somebody really thought this was a for-profit site? Wow. Nobody with any sense at all would go into business with the goal of making money from Guzzi riders.

GT-Rx said:
more often then not when I ask.. I get "because the others are bigger/more people/volume."
Help me understand what it is that would/could help.

I agree with Daniel is stability/longevity is an important issue - I have had at least one direct email from a long standing member of this board (that after due consideration I chose not to disseminate as I could not see anything useful to be gained by doing so) who dates back to the old/old/old/old board and stated "I really can't be bothered any more the forum is so unreliable".

My thought was that it's only as unreliable as you perceive it to be, but to be fair he does or rather "did" have a point.

I don't think that volume of traffic is the real issue - it's the process of building up a resource over time that will make it work and at the risk of banging on about it, that requires stability not fancy features. Unfortunately love jobs like this are only successful if they keep being loved and negativity quickly makes the love subside, it is a fine line to walk between constructive suggestion and being seen to be negative - tough one and much easier to discuss over a coldie on a Friday arvo than type over the internet where intentions are easily misunderstood.

It would be a mistake though to think that the alternative fora are not providing a service or that GT is "the only place" for tech info - the fact that they are there and frequented indicates differently. But you know, it's not a competition, we are not participating in a dog eat dog business called "The Guzzi Forum Industry" if you get my point - that type of working life is the bain of my daily existence and I don't want to think that way when I participate in my hobby.

However, it is the building of a resource that I see as the real potential in the GT philosophy and I see from Todd's potted history that it has always been that way - maybe it is that underlying reason'd'tar (sorry Rene) that it has been and remains so successful, in even in the face of the technical challenges and disasters of the last few years that have taxed many participant's patience.

I for one am here for the long hall - albeit for the selfish reason that when I need help with my bike I know I can ask and receive, and so for that reason I am happy to put in whatever and whenever I can and if that helps in some small way in the building of a resource that benefits others then all the better.

I spend 90% of my online time reading this forum. It is hands down the best Guzzi site for technical information. Almost everything I know about my Guzzi, I learned from this site. Whatever project I have undertaken, I made sure to read up on this site before I started turning a wrench. I rarely even go to the other sites. The only time I do is when this site is down for a facelift. And when that happens, I can only visit the other sites for a couple of minutes before I am turned off by the bombast.

Please keep this site going and ignore the unfounded criticism about "profiting." That is ridiculous. And by the way, the reason my Guzzi runs the way it does is because of the GT crossover, VDSTS purchased from here, and now the GT PCV/ECU/AT - and might I add a marvelous improvement to the bike. And I am not done yet. Suspension from GT is next. The point of my rant is to say, I am grateful for the technical content on this site. I am grateful for the time, effort, and money Todd puts into this site. I am grateful for the products offered. And I am grateful for the rest of the unselfish contributors to this site. My Guzzi experience has been very positive because of GuzziTech.

This site and most contributors and readers are technically oriented. They come here for the technical content. Every once in a while, we get a few nut jobs that try to derail the harmonious train. Ignore them. They are background noise. The real progress of sharing knowledge and ideas continues unabated in the forefront.

I like Rene's explanation of active members, "I think it's not necessarily a bad thing if there are less (active) members here than elsewhere. What we have now is a very high quality board, with little noise, and a great atmosphere that only rarely gets a bit tense." This makes sense to me. In time, the active member list will improve.

Keep up the great work, Todd. You are definitely doing the yeoman's work around here. The one way I know how to help out is to come to GuzziTech when I need a performance upgrade. So far, you have been able to fulfill 100% of my Guzzi needs. I will keep coming back as long as you can keep the GuzziTech forum and products going.

Hey Todd,
Please accept my apology on behalf of those dopey numbnuts who can't appreciate your commitment to keeping Guzzis on the road and their owners happy. This is your site so you can run it how you want.
I don't care if you make a profit, you should. Obviously the more you make the better this site will be.
I frequent a few other sites but this is the only site i come to for technical information because you can rely on the information given by people who really know what they are talking about.
I personally think you should advertise your products more. I read bike mags that are full of goodie bits available for just about any make of bike you can name, but never see anything Guzzi related.

Keep up the good work.

This is THE tech site Todd, the format works, now you can build on this stability and ease of use. You have always stressed the importance of the signal/noise ratio and it shows in the high quality of posts. We can only wish that you make a profit!

Thanks for making it what it is.

Again, thank you all for the kind words. I'm happy with the S/N ratio & volume. My "frustration" is simply the fact that I am having a hard time understanding why some of those who words carry weight in the real world and online, would rather post elsewhere rather then here when it comes to the marque and technical data, even after my direct contact with them. Often people will come here, read something or worse yet, get direct info from me (with an occasional thanks in person) and carry it off to be discussed further with good additional input. Additionally, information that we've covered here years ago seems to get regularly over-looked, and lastly I just don't know what to make of the prejudice's that others have with this site. If everyone that benefits from the info here would simply post "gleaned from GuzziTech" or post a link to us instead, things would be MUCH easier for me. I'm too exhausted to go chasing data or pulling it in any more.

If this Forum goes, it will not stop me from continuing to build products that make Guzzista's life better. It will just remove the medium in which to communicate to the end user, and for them to share. Nothing Guzzi will ever be profitable, and if it ever is, I'll likely be moving on like I did with HD and Ducati. On the Forum stability, I hear you loud and clear. No one is more frustrated then I. I counted on the advice and direction of others in the past, and it failed me. It won't ever happen again.

Still not hearing the "why" -- perhaps I never will.

p.s. Forum input(s) should be carried into the bottom Fora.

Back