RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

GuzziTech GT-Rx Modded Cal 14 Dyno vs. Stock

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by GT-Rx®, Sep 10, 2014.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

I finally got the RentAGuzzi GT-Rx® modded Cal14 on the Cycle World dyno late yesterday, and the results are below. A completely stock 1400C shown as a blue trace below, then with my GT-Rx® Slip-on mufflers and H-pipe with opened air box lid and GT-Rx® Fueling kit, results in the green trace: ~6-8 hp constant gain, and 8 lb.ft where you'll live the most.
    With the full GT-Rx® Exhaust & Fueling Kit along with the modded air-box lid & BMC filter (gold trace) = ~20 hp & 20 lb.ft. gains over stock with a 40 degree lower operating temperature!

[​IMG]

GTCal14CWDyno-2.jpg

2. Mal W

Mal W Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Hey Todd, that is a nice result. Having 65hp at 4000 revs is a lot of mumbo where I would use it most, for general riding and passing on the freeway. I would like that out of my 1200 Sport.

I have a technical question about running bikes on the dyno. How fast did the engine run up through the revs? Or, in what gear did they perform this test? The reason I ask is because I suspect that bikes with heavy flywheels are penalized for being slower to rev. It takes power to spin the engines own inertia up to top revs that might not be factored into the calculations. Is there a way to configure more resistance on the dyno or choose a higher gear (say 5th gear or top gear) so that the climb is slower? This would reduce the effect of the heavy flywheel and might provide an even better result.

3. GT-Rx®

Thanks, and the more impressive feel is just off idle and mid-range roll-on, which isn't shown on the graph above.
    Most dyno pulls are done in higher gears, yes. I personally did the runs, and used 5th gear. Flywheel weight has little effect on the numbers on the dyno other then the rate/time in which they achieve max power.

Mal W likes this.
  4. Skipper

Skipper Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi Todd, there is a dyno available just down the road from my mechanic, so as soon as my new parts are received and fitted, I'll head down there.
    I'll also report back in detail
    on-road impressions. Looking forward to arrival.

5. Tuono

Tuono Tuned and Synch'ed

Todd

Query, full PCV, AT300 and air box modification, any consideration to larger diameter header pipes/exhaust

Regards

Tuono

6. GT-Rx®

Now shown above in gold trace.

7. automattic

automattic Just got it firing!

Im curious as to how the ECU mods effect the stock fuel profiles of rain, touring, and speed. Are they still available? Do they still perform their functions, ie does the rain profile still reduce engine power?

8. GT-Rx®

Yes, full functionality is still in place. Again, AFR/fueling is seperate from those settings. The "map" settings all limit power to the rear wheel at various throttle positions using the traction control feature. Even the Veloce/Race setting does not give full power to the rear wheel anywhere in the table, including full throttle.

9. automattic

automattic Just got it firing!

Oh ok. Thanks. So is it like you have one main map and the 3 profiles just determine when power is limited on that map?

10. GT-Rx®

Yes, one main fuel map. An internal combustion engine requires a specific air/fuel ratio. Which A/F target ratio is dependent on many variables; Air-cooled engines are largely fuel cooled, so lean emission requirements crush power and add immense heat. Modern engineering to keep most from melt down, much less even run (in stock trim), is nothing short of miraculous.
    A/F Ratios on modern Guzzi make everyone even slightly knowledgable with fueling, cringe at the sight.

11. gdp

gdp Cruisin' Guzzisti

....Am I interpreting correctly?...that torque is lower until mid-5000 rpm range?....or, ?....

12. GT-Rx®

No. Both HP and Torque have impressively increased as hopefully (more clearly now) noted below:

GTCal14Dyno-Noted.jpg

13. Guzzi_Lou

Guzzi_Lou Cruisin' Guzzisti

Wow, VERY nice gains there.

14. buzglyd

buzglyd Tuned and Synch'ed

I'm thinking the fuel and airbox mods and the stock pipes might provide enough gains and still keep her purring nice and quiet.

I still haven't hit the first service mark but I'll be watching this space.

15. Skipper

Skipper Tuned and Synch'ed

Mine sounds like Richard Petty's car

BMT, Wisconsin v7 Racer and GT-Rx® like this.
  16. Guzzi_Lou

Any issues finding room for the 2 PC boxes? Any splicing/cutting required?

17. GT-Rx®

OK, I was finally able to do a real overlay shown below. Completely stock bike = blue lines, GT-Rx® Mufflers, and opened air box lid with GT fueling kit = green lines, GT-Rx® Exhaust, Open lid air box w/BMC and full GT fueling kit = gold lines. Again, almost 20 hp and 20 ft. lbs. of torque gains.

GuzziTechC14DynoRuns.jpg

18. Guzzi_Lou

Those are phenomenal gains ... this engine likes to breathe!

Todd, tell me more about the "Open lid air box w/BMC" ... BMC is a drop-in replacement panel filter right? Is the lid just removed from the stock air box or is there more?

19. GT-Rx®

Heh, well, it doesn't like to be choked as it is delivered. ;)
    For the modified lid, I just completely cut and removed the area above the filter. You can DIY by doing the same or drilling a bunch of holes in that area. The filter is held on by trim ring, from the inside of the lid. The >BMC Filter< is a high-flow element (much better quality over K&N, but same technology), and is drop in, yes. I need to mention here, that even a bone stock bike really needs the fueling corrected (dealers cannot do this) in order to have a long, healthy life. Any modifications exacerbates the uber-lean fueling.

20. buzglyd

buzglyd Tuned and Synch'ed

I've gone through a full tank of gas since Todd installed his magic on my fueling system.

All I can say is WOW! I'm still running the stock exhaust so I might not have the gains that one would get with Todd's exhaust system but the bike has been transformed. Previously, I had to keep it above 3000 RPM at all times because it didn't fuel properly below that and would surge and stumble. Now, she pulls strongly and the engine seems to have less vibration and it just hauls ass.

As an added benefit, fuel mileage has increased dramatically! I would average around 34 MPG prior to the mods. This last tank was a mix of freeway and curves in the hills and city riding. 43 MPG!

Todd's service was awesome. If you have the dough, you can't afford NOT to do this.

GT-Rx® likes this.