• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GuzziTech Penske Rear Shock - now a dealer

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Now taking custom-built orders on Penske monoshocks for your Breva, Norge/Sport, etc. ->HERE<- Shocks are built/valved to order for *your* specs. For those who don't know of Penske, they are a class-leading, Made in the USA shock manufacturer (among a myriad of other things). I have personally raced on Penske shocks and *strongly* endorse them. Contact me direct e-mail to order; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Pricing (not including shipping) is:
8900 - Rebound only - $625 USD (shown bottom left)
8983 - Compression & rebound adjustment - $875 USD (shown bottom right)
8987 - High/Low compression & rebound adjustment - $1195 USD (not shown, but identical to above)

--ORDER INFO HERE--

8983 shown mounted on a 1200 Sport (reservoir mounting is shown for location only, will come with proper mounting clamps):

Penske8900.jpg
Penske8983.jpg

Attachments

• Penske12S.jpg
    Penske12S.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 4,636
Re: Penske Rear Shock - GuzziTech is now a dealer!

I've used Penske for a long time and love them. I currently have an 8987 for a Suzuki DL1000 I sold a while back, any chance of modifying it to fit?

So our rear monoshock alternatives are now:

1)Stock underdamped Sachs shock with early way too soft spring or later somewhat better stronger spring, but with easy to use remote pre-load adjustment for passenger or heavy cargo situations.

2)Hyperpro much better damped & progressive spring, damping adj for rebound only, but preload adjustable only upon removal of the shock, hence preload adj less than ideal for those with highly variable loads (passenger/long trip cargo), at $614 shipped in the US.

3)Penske per above, whith no mention of any preload adjustment-hence I assume there is none except maybe prior to install (what is it, Todd?), $625-$1125 depending upon degree of damping adjustment

4)No word on the YSS monoshock you were talking about last year, so I assume it hasn't happened & isn't likely to anytime soon, is that right? Last April you were projecting three states of trim from rebound damping/off the bike preload adj only ($499) to rebound damping plus remote preload ($709) to multi adj damping & remote preload ($899).

Also how does base Penske compare to Hyperpro?

PaulJr said:
I've used Penske for a long time and love them. I currently have an 8987 for a Suzuki DL1000 I sold a while back, any chance of modifying it to fit?
Paul, it's possible depending on how much needs to be changed (length? shock mounts, etc.) Typically cost can get quickly to the price of a new one. I can check into it if you can give me the length of the TL shock and mounting point types.

guzzibob said:
So our rear monoshock alternatives are now:

1)Stock

2)Hyperpro much better damped & progressive spring, damping adj for rebound only, but preload adjustable only upon removal of the shock, hence preload adj useless for those with highly variable loads (passenger/long trip cargo), at $614 shipped in the US.
Correct, except the shock is valved and sprung to each riders requirements -AND- the shock does *not* have to be removed to adjust pre-load, you just use the included spanner wrench.

3)Penske per above, whith no mention of any preload adjustment-hence I assume there is none except maybe prior to install (what is it, Todd?), $625-$1125 depending upon degree of damping adjustment
I am currently checking in with them on if any remote pre-load adjust option(s) is available. It would be adjustable on bike via threaded collar/spanner.

4)No word on the YSS monoshock you were talking about last year, so I assume it hasn't happened & isn't likely to anytime soon, is that right? Last April you were projecting three states of trim from rebound damping/off the bike preload adj only ($499) to rebound damping plus remote preload ($709) to multi adj damping & remote preload ($899).
Actually, the YSS Mono should *finally* be back in my hands in the next week or less, in a fully adjustable state (including high/low compression adjustment and spring preload adjuster). Pricing is correct. Upon final road test of the shock (and write-up here), I will post ordering info here.

Also how does base Penske compare to Hyperpro?
The HP is a work of art. Penske is a professional grade shock, that focuses on functionality over looks. Penske offers solid support backed by in-house engineers here in the U.S. The HyperPro is unflappable as well. So I recommend base it on function and price, both are great.

HPMono-460Emul.jpg
HPMono-461.jpg

Penske8900.jpg
Penske8983.jpg

Todd,

I sent Hyerpro a email about a shock for the Stelvio, they claim they don't make one for the bike.

Which one are you using and have you tested it on the bike?

kwn306 said:
I sent Hyerpro a email about a shock for the Stelvio, they claim they don't make one for the bike. Which one are you using and have you tested it on the bike?
Dynojet will also tell you they don't make a PC-V for the newer Guzzis. I've made it my job to make things happen. Either the HP 460 or 461 as shown HERE can be had, and while I have not yet had one to test, it is spec'ed and ready to sell. You want to be the first?

So exactly how easy is it to adjust preload on the Hyperpro while on a Norge? You saying it's not much harder than the wonderfully easy to use cam ramps on old design twin shocks like the Ikon/Konis, so I would be happy to adjust when loading up for a trip, then adjust back when I return & take all the stuff off? Perhaps I had the mistaken impression that it was not so easy. Also not clear on the HP/Penske comparison. You saying the HP look cooler but the Penske work better? In what way & how much?

Todd,

I’m a little confused over the rear shock selection and I am not attempting to be a smart A$$ either.

Both manufactures (Hyper Pro & Penske) claim they do not make (I’ve called each manufacture) a rear shock for the Stelvio. They do not recommend using another style / type shock (Griso, Norge, etc.) on the Stelvio because according to them each bike is different. Also neither manufacture will warranty their product on the Stelvio.

According to MG each bike has a separate part number for each shock and each unit has specific length, valving, damping, spring rate, etc., etc. for each individual model.

Now you claim to be a dealer for each and are making things happen for us which is much appreciated.

If my memory is correct you do not have a Stelvio and have already stated that you haven’t tested either shock on a Stelvio. So, please tell me how you have spec’ed one for the Stelvio when the manufacture has not?

Again not attempting to be a smart A$$, I just don’t want to spend over $600+ dollars on something that both manufactures claim doesn’t exist and will not warranty.

Bob, adjustment via spanner on the HP or Penske are fairly simple to get at, on bike. The YSS comes with a adjuster knob like stock.

Kurt, I'm not going to divulge the details, but I deal direct with the engineers/techs, so it's a simple case of the sales associates not communicating.

OK, guess I'll have to get an up close live look at an HP on someone's bike some day, go from there. Also looking forward to comparison of the 3 once the YSS actually gets here. What you have on your Norge now, Todd?

GT-Rx said:
Pricing (not including shipping) is:
8900 - Rebound only - $625 USD
8983 - Compression & rebound adjustment - $875 USD
8987 - High/Low compression & rebound adjustment - $1195 USD

So can someone explain to me what these mean?

What does the original Norge shock have for example?

I'm short and solid, so I need a shock that can take a deal of weight, have reasonable compliance and not raise the ride height.

(Yeah, I know, dream on...)

I'm willing to spend the money but have no idea how to decide which one. I do touring meaning I have times with luggage and times without. I don't carry pillions except in emergencies. I do like a bit of fanging (that means sporty riding, think Fangio) and the shock I have on the bike (the slightly heavier Guzzi one) does seem to wallow a little in corners no matter what I do with the adjustments.

Zebee

Bob, my Norge is currently wearing the stock shock at the moment, but I did get a picture of the completed fully-adjustable YSS version that is shipping to me today, and I have two sold Penske shocks arriving today in the mail.

zebee said:
8900 - Rebound only - $625 USD
8983 - Compression & rebound adjustment - $875 USD
8987 - High/Low compression & rebound adjustment - $1195 USD

So can someone explain to me what these mean?
What does the original Norge shock have for example?

I'm short and solid, so I need a shock that can take a deal of weight, have reasonable compliance and not raise the ride height.

I'm willing to spend the money but have no idea how to decide which one. I do touring meaning I have times with luggage and times without. I don't carry pillions except in emergencies. I do like a bit of fanging (that means sporty riding, think Fangio) and the shock I have on the bike (the slightly heavier Guzzi one) does seem to wallow a little in corners no matter what I do with the adjustments.

Zebee, your Norge is rebound only adjustable with spring pre-load adjuster (plastic knob - which is not available on the Penske at the moment, nor HyperPro, however it is an option on the YSS).
The more you vary your load, riding style and temps, the more important it is to have adjust-ability. That said, if a shock is set up properly for you, i.e. weight & valving and the "sag" is set correctly, you will be thrilled. Compression adjustment becomes important as air temps vary in accordance to how you plan on riding... and most importantly that it is balanced front to rear (read fork spring replacement is mandatory with a shock upgrade). The Norge wallows in corners because it is under-sprung and under-damped as delivered. High/Low speed damping adjustment is largely for racing, or highly experienced, aggressive street riders.

So, if you're still following me here, I can set you up with a shock that will give you everything you want to make the ride superior, and we can even build a slightly shorter the shock if you wish, but cornering clearances will diminish more then is current, of course. The shock you'll need will range from low ~$600s to 900 depending on options.

Feel free to post again below or PM/e-mail me direct; Todd at GuzziTech.com

The Penske 8983 ($875+ shipping) has arrived. I will have it mounted this week, and post my findings here. Contact me direct e-mail for details/to order for any CARC Guzzi; Todd at GuzziTech.com -- I will have the order page online this week.

Attachments

• Penske8983G.jpg
    Penske8983G.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 2,218
ready to upgrade the shock on my 2007 Norge and have been following this thread. wondering if there have been any reviews/updates to help me make a decision, it's been a couple months since the "let you know my findings" post, and I'm definitely curious.

Thanks! Appreciate the effort and the info.

bmzza, sorry for the delay in posting my ride impressions. Lots to say, but I have to run for now, however I'll leave you with this to ponder... pick a budget for the front and rear (mandatory for both), and I'll pick up from there.

If you're a set it and forget it rider, the HP Fork Springs & 460 rear shock are excellent. If you like to tune your ride on occasion, the YSS PD Valves & S/R springs mated to the Penske 8983 make for the ultimate ride.

I look forward to this set up. I should be ordering the 8393 in July to match the the YSS PD Valves & S/R springs on the front.

NeroGuzzi said:
I look forward to this set up. I should be ordering the 8393 in July to match the the YSS PD Valves & S/R springs on the front.
Thanks in advance Nero.

Online order info >HERE<

Has anybody put a Penske 8983 on a 2v Norge??? I am assuming the side cover has to be dis guarded to allow for the resivor to be mounted...???? Pictures please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

Back