Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GuzziTech Power Commander V Information

Discussion in 'GT-Rx® Fueling' started by GT-Rx®, Jul 13, 2009.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Thanks for the post. I'm going on 12+ years with PC's on my Guzzis, and every new one I bring home goes on the bench and not ridden until it's fuel corrected. Can't imagine living with one without. Far too frustrating.

2. actwin

actwin Just got it firing!

Griso 8v with GPR

I know this has been done to death but what would I need to buy to get my 2011 8v Griso to perform it's best with a GPR exhaust can? By best I mean smooth STRONG power everywhere. When I got it new I could not believe how hard it pulled, well after 9,000 miles I guess I'm getting used to it. Why the GPR? I have one on my B1100 and love the look and it has that "just right sound" for me. I know it's gonna be big bucks but I want it to run right the first time, every time with minor "messing with it" issues Thanks, Scott

3. GT-Rx®

Re: Griso 8v with GPR

Scott, I merged this post with the correct thread. If you read the first post here, you'll see where I've outlined the options. If you want the best in acceleration, smoothness and power everywhere, my full kit; Performance ECU flash, PC-V & AutoTune, combined with your muffler and my lidless air box option & BMC, completely transforms the bike. You won't believe it unless you experience it for yourself. Contact me direct for more info direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

4. matson

matson Tuned and Synch'ed

OK, just downed tools after a lazy Saturday afternoon installing Todd's full fueling kit (ECU, PCV/AT & BMC filter, airbox ring etc).
    I have to say it was a cinch to complete the job thanks to all the great 'how to' posts & other info available here on the guzzitech site.
    The results - sensational. I now have the motorcycle I paid for.
    When I initially joined the site, Todd said he'd help uncork it when I was ready. Well, uncorked it is!!!
    This being my first experience playing with motorcycle fuel management systems, I expected to encounter some glitches / headaches, but no, just followed the directions / posts and install was a breeze.
    Once the install was complete I did a quick TPS set with the Centurion software I bought with the fuel package, enabled the autotune through PCV software, did a final visual inspection, put the side covers and seat back on and went for a RIIIIDE. I'm sure my arms have stretched, man what a difference.
    No more snatchy behaviour at low speed - low rpm, ie around town.
    Gone is the snap, crackle, popping deceleration racket = happy neighbours.
    My motorcycle has been transformed into a grunty, powerful, torquey machine that pulls like a freight train from down low and especially through the midrange, going strong into rev heaven. Seat of the pants say FARK YEAH!!!!
    Oh, and the sound - mucho basso boomba. Got up it for the rent on my usual 'clean out the cobwebs' loop and expected to see some significant trim adjustment but no, only minor midrange -ve #s. I accept!! Yes mama.
    Thanks Todd for developing a fantastic product and to all those who post useful tech info so guys like me can get fully nerd with the laptop without too much brain pain or trepidation. Stupid grin has yet to subside...
    P.S. Install time was a very relaxed 4 hrs including software and a feed.

jud yamane likes this.
  5. GT-Rx®

Excellent! My absolute pleasure... I'm thrilled to hear of another successful install and happy Guzzi owner. Thanks again for letting me be of help.

jud yamane likes this.
  6. Zapa

Zapa Cruisin' Guzzisti

Quick question:
    My bike has bee idle for quite long and I've found it to be again quite jerky negotiating roundabouts in second gear. Not good for a return to the saddle under the rain! :)

I have the full enchilada installed since God knows when, so what should I check first?

Thanks!

7. GT-Rx®

How long did it sit? Old fuel? Always start with the basics, TPS setting and valve lash set? Pull and send me the PC-V map direct email, and we'll get you straightened out.

8. Zapa

Zapa Cruisin' Guzzisti

The bike was unused for 2.5 years and it was left with a full tank. Not much space for air, so that should have taken care of oxidation, but in any case that fuel is gone now.

Valves were set 6000Km ago, but I ignore if sitting idle affects them in any way. I'd guess not?

If valves are (probably) ok I'd check TPS values and reset if needed.

The bike runs fine on the road, but it has a quite on-off effect at low speeds (i.e. from closed throttle to gas) WITH THE STEPPER MOTOR DISABLED (choked). With SM on the damn thing keeps the revs high enough not to need any clutch play, but I'd rather keep it off.

I have already phoned my mechanic (who is 200Km away) and I'll probably go to the shop next week. Maybe he'll need to check throttle balance and idle RPMs without the stepper motor?

Also, would I benefit from setting the 0% column on the map? I understand the bike needs to be on the treadmill not to be on closed loop.

I've downloaded the last firmware and software for the PCV. I'll install those first unless advised not to do so.

Thanks!

9. GT-Rx®

2.5 yrs could mean clogged fuel injectors too. I would pull and have those professionally cleaned. DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE! The newer versions are problematic.

Yes, for sure some of the AFR mapping needs to be revised, and all but low speed fueling can be done on the road. I prefer to be the one to help you via email.

10. Zapa

Zapa Cruisin' Guzzisti

Mail sent :)

11. GT-Rx®

To all reading this who have the kit installed from '09-12, do NOT update the firmware on the unit (or if you have contact me for the latest version acceptable), and if you have Target AFR's entered at 0~20% (or if you are unsure) pull and send me your map direct email please; Todd at GuzziTech.com

12. bmacneil2008

bmacneil2008 Tuned and Synch'ed

Ok, I don't get it. Why do you need a PCV after having the ECU reflashed? It would seem you could calibrate the ECU to deliver the same air/fuel ratio as the PCV. I just purchased a new 2009 Stelvio and am adding a slip on exhaust, sans cat, so know need added fuel but was hoping an ECU refresh from Redline would be all needed?

13. GT-Rx®

All very well outlined in the first post of this thread. Simply put, the ECU flash is a static map, and every engine requires different fuel requirements (though crudely corrected it does reasonably OK). Adding the PC-V allows AutoTune, which give completely dynamic fueling revisions on the fly, from idle to redline. Pretty great technology. You just can't get this with just the ECU.. however timing revisions and other good running mods cannot happen with the PC-V. p.s. You might want to contact Doug/ToadRide hereon this Forum about his experience with a re-flash by them.

14. miles bowman

miles bowman Just got it firing!

Do you have core exchange for 2012 griso se

15. GT-Rx®

Miles, yes I sure do. Order online any time, or contact me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

16. guzziwranger

guzziwranger Just got it firing!

Hi Todd, just a quick question, the full fueling kit on my 1200 Sport is going great and as everyone above has posted; I am also wrapped with the results. Just a quick question Todd, since installing the kit, my riding buddy who is very often behind me (since fitting the kit) mentioned that he can actually smell fuel under hard acceleration when I'm in front of him, where as before without the fueling upgrade he could not? I know this same thing occurred with my previous Ducati when I fitted the performance ECU and straight through pipe. Is this typical? I guess it is now running a bit richer so you might expect to have a bit of un-burnt fuel coming through, although looking at your AFR graph and associated information, I would not have thought AFR13.8 would be that rich? No issues with the bike or this phenomena, just curious to hear your thoughts?
    Regards, Paul.

17. GT-Rx®

13.6 is on the lean side for a fuel-cooled motor. When running hard, yes, you'll smell fuel if riding behind it. It's not I unburnt fuel, it's burnt fuel.
    My AFR targets are based on a decade+ of Dyno and cylinder head readings with digital infrared and Diagnostic tool verifications.

18. ZClark73

ZClark73 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I also want to bump this thread. Because if you don't know about this service, you should.

I've had his fueling revisions (ECU + PC-V w/ Autotune) done on two Guzzi's now (a 2010 Griso and a 2014 Cali14 Custom) and they are nothing short of stupendous. Everything he claims is spot on and perhaps even understated. I've been working on and with engines for about 5 years now and the difference this makes on performance, smooth running and longevity is huge. The throttle went from being a little choppy and stutters in low throttle positions and RPMs (a symptom of running too lean because of various EPA regs) to being buttery smooth and providing a noticeable added "oomph" in the lower RPM ranges. The engine runs powerfully through the rev range and keeps the engine significantly cooler while riding, (which I appreciate being in a SoCal desert, haha). I'm sure much more has been said here than I can possibly contribute, but add me to another name on the long list of satisfied owners of this system.

19. tobinh

tobinh Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Hi all, I'd like to sort the fueling with the PC-V/AT/ECU Re-Flash Tool package on my bike (Breva 1100). I've read through this thread, but I can't find where this has been discussed:

If I get rid of the catalytic converter in favour of a GT-Rx crossover/y-pipe, is there any advantage to going to the double O2 sensor version? And then the AT300 instead of the 200? I feel like having a sensor for each cylinder is better? Surely no matter how well synchronized, the two cylinders won't be running *exactly* the same...

Thanks in advance!

Tobin.

20. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

Lot's of work to go through for no gain, it's still just a twin plug motorcycle engine, and will vibrate some no matter how many computers and such it has. I would think for this to all work you would need an ECU that is set for 2 O2 sensors, like a Norge 8V ECU. Otherwise there would be no part on the map to change.