RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

GuzziTech Power Commander V Information

Discussion in 'GT-Rx® Fueling' started by GT-Rx®, Jul 13, 2009.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Hi Tobin, very significant gains and cooler running by going to the GT Y-pipe and PC-V/AT. The 300 dual band allows a dynamic map for each cylinder, which means even better smoothness and throttle response. You'll have to choose if the cost difference is worth it to you, as you'll have to add two additional 02-sensor bungs in the headers up near the oil cooler. I can supply them if you'd like. Write me direct email for more info; Todd at GuzziTech.com

2. GT-Rx®

Hey Steve, thanks for the input. A PC-V & dual sensor AT-300 is plug and play regardless if the bike has them stock or not. it is an impressively good set up. Dyno gains can be seen here on the 1200-2V motor; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gt-rx-modded-1200-sport-2v-dyno-run.5830/

3. tobinh

tobinh Tuned and Synch'ed GT Site Contributor!

ah i was hoping i could get the benefits just by getting the Y-Pipe with two bungs. thanks so much for the response! i'll crunch some numbers and be in touch :)

Tobin.

4. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

I should have read up on the 300, I haven't installed that one only 200's w/AT, it advanced a bit more since I retired.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  5. GT-Rx®

That would be an option, sure.

6. stinga

stinga Tuned and Synch'ed

G'day All,

Just got a couple of question regarding setting up Todd's full kit, I've had it for a little while but now that the Harley is out of commission the Guzzi has become the pack horse and I'm spending a lot more time on her. And I must say she is far more practical when it comes to camping trips what with the panniers, Venture Gear sack on the back and better accommodation for the minister of finance on the back.
    I,ve got a 2010 1200 8V Sport and the other day after a 30k trip I pull the seat off to check out if all's OK with my PCV and Auto tune while starting the motor.
    By the way I have had problems within the 3000 to 2000 rpm range being very snatchy and behaving like a stock Guzzi and all the normal s:&*t associated with the poor fueling of injected Guzzi's.
    After the start up I notice that the power lights was illuminated but the status light was not showing any colour/light on the PCV and the Auto tune went through it's normal process and the bike idled real well.

Todd has resent me the map that comes with he set up but before I try a total reinstall I just want to know a couple of basic things.
    • With the status light should it be on the PC and what colour should it be, mine is not illuminated ?
    • Is it worth doing a throttle rebalance after instalment and how.
    • What are people doing with regard to the throttle cable adjustments.
    Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Steve

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  7. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

I'm aware of those stats but I was thinking more the difference between the 200 and 300 for power gains.

8. GT-Rx®

Insignificant outside of smoothness and dynamic balancing between cylinders (which is impressively better).

9. TurcoLoco

TurcoLoco Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Do these fuel mapping issues apply to a new 2017 Stelvio too?
    I just got the bike and would hate to have to spend $1200 more just to have it run the way it is supposed to?

10. GT-Rx®

Emissions is emissions, regardless of year. That said, the 2017 is leaps better than the 2009. However, most find the GT reflash alone adequate. If you have a ton of miles under you, you will enjoy the benefits of the full kit.
    You don’t have to do anything.... You can get used to the running, heat and low speed throttle if you choose to.

11. TurcoLoco

What exactly is the heat and low speed throttle issue please?

Not sure why they make the motorcycle manufacturers put on all the CA emission crap when almost every rider I know removes the related pieces from their bike and/or get their ECU flashed.
    I have not yet ridden the bike yet. I will pick it up this weekend and planning on riding it from the dealer to home which would be like a 90+ minutes of riding. Mostly freeway but it should give me an idea.

Yes, I am looking to hold on to it for a long, long time! GT reflash means I bring in my ECU and you flash it and give my ECU back, or would I get someone else's, presumably older/used ECU?
    If it is the former, I would definitely be interested in it after riding the bike and evaluating it first.
    Your ECU flash fee($250?) seemed very reasonable.

I could drop off the ECU and then pick it up when done, would that work?

Thank you for the reply.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  12. TurcoLoco

Todd,

Is there a list of the fuel related modifications for Stelvio that you offer, both service and part wise and what the differences are performance and price wise?
    I am super green and oblivious to the related shortcomings of the bike but if it is as pronounced as it is to warrant have all these services and products dedicated to it, I'd definitely like to be educated about it.

I checked out your web store, really nice btw, but I failed to get the above answers.

Thank you,
    Matt

13. GT-Rx®

14. TurcoLoco

The whole thread? OK, I will get back to you by 2020! :)

All joking aside, ECU flash is like stage one, I gathered that much, Not sure what #2 is but after ECU flash, I thought #3 was the next step.
    Anyhow, I will read through the thread to find the answer and go from there.

Thank you.

15. GT-Rx®

I forgot the link to the flash tool, but I added it above and now here; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-motocycles-5am-7sm-reflash-tool -- this allows you to flash the ECU in place, and functions as a diagnostic tool also (needed for TPS reset post flash). Read the link for info. Once you think you have a grasp on it, you can email me for details; Todd at GuzziTech.com

16. dennisj

dennisj Tuned and Synch'ed

Todd,

Question about temperature reduction after installing the full kit. I think you stated that you measured 40 degrees of engine temperature reduction after this full fueling kit. This is degrees F, correct? Can you please share the before and after kit installation actual temperatures? I've attached a photo of my 2014 Cali 1400 Touring with a "Red" and "Green" mark indicating where I took my temperature measurements.
    On the Starboard cylinder I measured ~320-340 degrees F at the green spot location, and ~380-400 degrees F at the red spot location.

So, I used a digital thermometer and measured at the cylinder head fin about 1 inch from the exhaust flange (painted black on my engine), this is the "Green location". Then I measured on the chromed exhaust flange itself, this is the "Red location".

cali_1400_starboard_head_temps_mark.jpg
    I'm asking this because I'm trying to make a decision about installing this kit on my bike. Lowering engine temperature is about the only desired benefit I seek because my bike has never pinged, surged, poped, backfired or had any difficulty running. My engine pulls reliably from 2000 RPM in all but top gear and never chugs, surges or stumbles while doing so. BUT, if the ambient temperature is above 90 degrees F I'm duly uncomfortable riding it. Perhaps this is a condition that will persist even if I were able to obtain a 40 degree reduction in engine temperature, but that is kind of what I'm trying to evaluate, considering the investment. I'm currently satisfied with my bike's performance and I especially enjoy the quiet stock exhaust. Fuel efficiency would also be a desirable benefit I would consider as I currently get between 30 and 35 MPG reliably.

Thanks,

Den.