• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Had it with the Hugger

Rosey

Tuned and Synch'ed
Well I have had the Skidmarx Hugger on the Stelvio for a couple of years now but I have had enough.
First I broke the bracket on the swingarm and welded that up and it broke again.. I then bought another bracket and lasted a little while,then I lost the 2 bolts out of the bracket that holds the hugger on.
Then recently the swingarm bracket broke again,so the whole lot came off.
Part of the problem is the fact that the hugger is only mounted in 2 places and allows the too much movement and the hugger wobbles around.
Plus the State Gum ment call some of tracks we have here roads with sometimes more pot holes and patches than we deserve.

There was drawing in the past for a piece rubber to keep the crap off the rear shock.
Anyone have that drawing?
Brett

Hi Rosey and Pete
Seen one somewhere that is fixed to the top rod on the CARC looked quite smart but I'm sorry I can't remember which site I saw it on, apologies.
I have a Skidmarx one and have not had any problems so far apart from having to shave some off so it didn't foul the inside of the silencer.

On my Pan European I had one of these, worked really well. Was thinking of trying to get one modified to fit the Stelvio
http://www.st1300-accessories.co.uk/st1 ... otect.html

Best regards
Nik

Brett,

Graham came up with gluing a rubber flap to the plastic above the swing arm, then to the swing arm. I did a similar mod but just glued it above the swing arm to the battery tray on my Breva and just tucking the tail around the shock. That made the swing arm bearing lube job possible without removing the flap. Just take a look in there and see what you can devise.

MP has a great solution, but it requires a drill/tap of the swing-arm, and it's about $300+. As shown on their Alba below. If anyone wants one, I can get them.

2lix6c0.jpg

Rosey said:
There was drawing in the past for a piece rubber to keep the crap off the rear shock.

I put a 'shock sock' from Traxxion Dynamics on my Stelvio years ago. The shock stays clean and protected from crud.

I've had two swing arm bracket failures on my Norge, about 14 months apart. Both times the good folks at Skidmark have sent me "new and improved" brackets free of charge so I can't fault their customer service. However, it does suggest a design flaw in the hugger mounting.

bobra said:
I've had two swing arm bracket failures on my Norge, about 14 months apart. Both times the good folks at Skidmark have sent me "new and improved" brackets free of charge so I can't fault their customer service. However, it does suggest a design flaw in the hugger mounting.

Ditto re Norge experience ... with hugger and David Cork at Skidmarx (US).

The second time resulted in a noticeably beefier mounting bracket for the swingarm.

The one on the Griso has not suffered at all (or made me do that, too!), tho I do keep an eye on the fasteners. I also noticed that clearance with Pirelli AST's was fine, but a bit tighter with the Michelin Pilot Activ I just mounted (but have .01 miles on. The adhesive residue from the label picked up some aggregate from my driveway and the sound almost had me hurl 'til I figured it out. :woohoo:

A Stelvio ridden "as intended" might be too much for this hugger.

Bill

P.S. I like the look of the hugger, but, as does Wayne, I have the Traxxion "shock sock" mounted on both Norge and Griso for serious protection. See http://www.traxxion.com/ventedshocksock.aspx

Rosey said:
Anyone have that drawing?
Brett

My hugger came off too on the motorway at 70+. So I went with the rubber flap as shown below

Here's the link https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/190/4154

Make it from a piece 5-6mm rubber sheet and slide it into the slot between the underseat trays, works fine, comes out for cleaning.

great picture, good to see how clean the shock stays. I know a group of Italians went to the dessert in Africa with stelvio's, the ones with the rubber stayed much cleaner then the skidmark ones.

I did something similar. You can get a slither of rubber sheet in between the rear mudgaurd and air box held in place with two short self tappers. This drops down between the swingarm and tyre to about 1 inch below the lowest part of the shockabsorber. I made two small hole's in the rubber sheet to fasten it to the lowest link on the shocker and this stops it rubbing on the wheel. So var so good. .. I honestly feel the rear suspension is to exposed to the elements and this has kept everything relatively clean. Will get photos in the morning.

Back