RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Welcome to the GT Forum! GuzziTech is now back to our origins; We hope you enjoy the Guzzi Global Community Forum here. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com - Store tab above. You need a different username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation with several business going at once - Sign into the Store to check on orders before contacting us. Thanks for your patience on orders. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000~2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Had lunch today with the Piaggio HQ staff

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LaGrasta, Dec 7, 2012.

1. LaGrasta

LaGrasta Tuned and Synch'ed

A good friend of mine shoots video for Piaggio (I've helped on a few shoots) and we went over to pick up a 2013 Griso he just shot.

http://keyonestudios.com

We all went to lunch together and I have to tell you, can't meet a better bunch of guys. They know their stuff, bleed bikes and are genuinely sharing of knowledge. I'm not sure if they are on this board or not. I was pleased to tell them how satisfied I am with my V7. I also complained of the dealer network, or lack there of. They are well aware and working on it. How's a guy supposed to get a sticker?

One piece of great news I picked up is Guzzi can't build the V7 fast enough. Keep 'em comin' boys!

2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Very nice, congrats. This Piaggio NY or the Tech Svcs guys in Costa Mesa?

It's unfortunate that they are not here in Long Beach with the entire rest of the SoCal Motorcycle Community at the IMS Show.

Look forward to this work.

3. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

We had the European launch of the 1400 last Saturday (1st). Sadly only 3 dealers in the UK actually had one to show off, and there was little or no publicity apart from a newsletter from the Moto Guzzi World Club, and on individual dealer websites, plus on our UK club website.
    Come on Piaggio, think about it.

4. LaGrasta

This was the Costa Mesa site (SoCal). I'd love to own a Guzzi dealership, how cool would that be? I need to mortgage my house…

5. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

(again)....this economy isn't exactly conducive for a small business owner.

6. LaGrasta

I get it, very clever. I'm still dumbfounded, will we ever survive?

7. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

You know how to make a million selling Guzzi? Start with two million.

8. vivo

vivo Cruisin' Guzzisti

The Progressive Motorcycle Show just rolled out of NYC. I knew Piaggio would not be there, still, seems like such a missed opportunity. I've been thinking how foolish it is not to showcase product to people hungry enough to pay admissions costs for attendance at these shows, the very people who are likely purchasers and enthusiasts. I've come to the conclusion Piaggio cannot satisfy demand without building a more dedicated dealer network. If there are few dealers knowledgeable in the brand it obviously becomes an impossible roadblock to selling and servicing their product. I think it's a smart move to not floor plan bikes only to have them sit until they have whiskers and a Guzzi enthusiast is likely to order a bike he wants regardless of the fact it is not yet in the country. I still wonder if they want or need to grow the brand?

Guzzi has something special to offer and currently some very good motorcycles. Without a broader network of dealers new potential buyers will continue to be weary of the brand. More dealers could be an answer but that makes problems as bad dealers give the marquee a black eye. Bad dealers are bad because they can't set the bikes up properly nor service them. Piaggio needs to deliver motorcycles that leave the factory needing no additional tweaking and until that can happen I can't see new dealers doing much good because set up is so important to owner satisfaction.

I think I read Guzzi sales are up 20%... European bike sales in general have increased and while I would love to have seen Aprilia and Moto Guzzi in New York City I can see why they might be absent?. Still, it would be nice to have people talking about Moto Guzzi and sitting on the bikes like at the Ducati fashon show where all the long legged girls wear red dresses... I'm wondering what the Guzzi girls would look like? Have thoughts of round Italian girls with big bowls of pasta telling you to "eat, eat" , much less a fashion show, more about something good for the soul.

Vivo

9. mojohand

mojohand Cruisin' Guzzisti

I, too, was at the NYC show, having also attended the DC show.

Man, was that a crowded Saturday event! So crowded they had to let folks in in groups. I'd never seen that.

I also knew Piaggio wouldn't be there, and I agree it's a damn shame. Friday night they had a hipster event at the Ace Hotel. Forbes magazine wrote about the exclusive event: http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahellio ... age-racer/

A blogger has pictures:
    http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/20 ... arty-pics/

Here's a blog post I read on Saturday evening: http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/mot ... z2IcgBinbu

From that post:

“Moto Guzzi isn’t about getting there the fastest,” explains Melissa MacCaull, Vice President of Piaggio Group Americas, the U.S. distributor of Moto Guzzi motorcycles. “It’s about enjoying the ride, and getting back to what true motorcycling is really about. Moto Guzzi is approachable, it’s stylish, and it’s accessible to anyone. That’s the reason we partnered with James for this collaboration. His custom bikes really capture the essence of that experience.”

Wow. They have a VP of the group. Also, apparently MG isn't approachable nor accessible to everyone, hence the absence from a show where tens of thousands could have approached and accessed Moto Guzzis. Sheesh--Indian Motorcycles (its latest incarnation) was there, for frack's sake.

So, in other words, Piaggio is happy with letting only a few, select, insider folks in to their PR "machine." Fack the rest of the public. God forbid they should actually sell enough to justify dealers' profit needs to stay in business; Thank god they can showcase them to their own NYC hipster bubble.

10. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

I take it, (I haven't bothered opening the link.) that this is a reference to the dreadful 'Hammerhead' thingies talked about elsewhere. Just looking at the website made me cringe. Anytime you open a link and are confronted by a picture of a fey and androgynous creature with bad hair wearing goggles and holding a gas-axe you know you're going to be disappointed and on a hiding to nothing. While I was reading the pretentious blurb and being mind-boggled by the absurd price of his ugly little toys Jude happened to wander past and glance at the screen. Her only comment was "Who's that shirt-lifter?" Which I think probably sums it up pretty well.........

Pete

11. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Can't speak for where you are, but here in the UK my local dealer has had the best bike sales year ever. He only sells Guzzi. More than 50% were the V7 range. But he's sold 2 of the 1400 Calis so far too.

12. lucky phil

lucky phil Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm afraid you're right Pete. As they say "you cant polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter" (and sell it by the truck load in the states by all accounts)
    Ciao

13. Mi_ka

Mi_ka High Miler

:sick:
    With so many people with enough money to buy in one single market, whatever low production niche someone comes up with there will always be someone to buy enough pieces to make profit...