• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Handlebar anti-vibration thingy fixing plugs

delburnman

Tuned and Synch'ed
Help!

It's cold outside in Australia so I want to fit grip warmers to my Bellagio. Ordered a lovely set of "Heat Demons" off the net, good quality unit with a nice chrome switch and heaters that fit inside the handlebars. Struck a small problem and hoping someone out there can help:

The ends of my handlebars are fitted with anti-vibration thing-a-me-bobs: nice chrome ends held in place with a 6mm Allen Screw. The screw fits into a tapped plug that looks like it's simply jammed into the end of the bars, (appears to be not welded).. The Bellagio parts manual lists these plugs as "Balancing...part no. GU03602760" but doesn't say how they are held into the bars. Looking carefully at the drawing of the item it seems that the inner end might have a split along it's axis: it would make sense that this would be a simple interferance fit inside the handlbar.

Problem is I can't shift the bastards. Tried multi-grips: wouldn't move. Tried tapping inwards with a hammer: wouldn't budge. Tried compressed air thru the screw hole, (could have shot myself if it came out but it didn't. Tried making a puller by fitting a socket over the plug with a screw into the thread: broke the screw! (luckily with enough showing so I could remove the broken bit).

Am assuming that these anti-vibration do-hickies might be fitted on other Moto Guzzi models, has anyone had success in removing the plugs??? How???

Graeme
Bellagios are best

Do the Norge bar-ends use a similar arrangement? I'd be interested in seeing the effect pulling the RHS end out over about 1cm would have on vibrations.

On the Norge, there is a threaded plate welded into the end of the bar. You can unscrew the bolt which holds the weight, then add spacers to extend it out more. You might need a longer bolt of course.

Thanks John, tapping the screw didn't work, I think you might have assumed there was a captive nut pulling into a taper like some Jap bikes. These plugs look solid, are one piece and stuck hard in the handlebar. I can't see any welds on the outside and can't see how they could have been welded inside.

I will try a slide hammer tonight (impact hammer). They look as if pressed in but can't be too tight a fit or the handlebar end would have expanded???

Brian: thanks, that explains things too. What it doesn't explain is why on my original right bar, there was almost a centimeter of black, somewhat corrugated metal that was visible between the grip and the end weight.

Graeme: someone could have used Loctite, of course... but if not, heat or rather cold might work? Oh, and did you take off at least the grip, to see if there isn't something keeping the plug in place? To my knowledge, the Bellagio has a unique handlebar that isn't used on other models.

After many tries without success (slide hammer, threaded puller, multi grips and much cursing) I eventually peeled back the rubber handgrip which revealed some significant indentations in the actual handlebar. Moto Guzzi press in the threaded plugs then swage the bars ensuring that the plugs will never fall out or be removed by an overenthusiastic Ausie!

Only solution was to drill a series of holes along the plug until it eventually fell apart. Have only removed the clutch side, will make up an applicator out of poly pipe and try to get the throttle side heater in by inserting through from the clutch side and releasing it like a stent in a heart operation. Then need to come up with an alternative mounting arangement for the chrome anti vibe thingy. Might try a cone nut afair like some handlebar end mirrors.

Aint life grand! would have been easier to move to Queensland! :S

Like a good Italian girl, my Bella didn't give it up easily but once the plug was out all went nice and smoothly!

After many hours of frustrating head scratching I got the clutch side anti vibration plug drilled out, heaters fitted (my "Stent" method of deploying the twist grip heater worked just fine) and now I should have have warm hands! I fashioned a replacement anti vibration mounting plug from a chrome Ford wheel nut, hammered it in and all's snug again.

In retrospect, under grip heaters would have been easier but the Heat Demons have a nice switch and I'd always be worried about having wires attached to my twist grip. The Symtek Heat Demons came with the most complete installation kit that I've ever seen, easy to follow instructions and very nicely finished hardware. A good product, high degree of dificulty for my Bellagio but most likely straight forward for anyone else.

Bring on the frosts, I want to find out if my Bella will be warm to ride after all the hard work.

Jobs done! Here's a couple of snaps for posterity showing the remains of the threaded plug and the switch finally in place. Looks good.

Still can't get em up so I've put em in a doc.....

It was easier getting the thing out of my handlbars than sharing a couple of photos!!

On board computer tells me it's 3 degrees sometimes and it isn't even winter yet Brevaman.

yep, I've ridden to get a service and had to pick ice off my face when I stopped for fuel (visor up due to fogging).
Yes ICE.

But, cold is all relative, Alaskans and Canadians would laugh at what we Aussies call cold. But it is for us, so yes we need heated grips because we aren't used to riding in other than perfect weather (it is Australia after all).

cheers

Robert

Back