• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

harbor freight BMW rear wheel balancing adapter

jdelv

Tuned and Synch'ed
Does anyone know if this adapter fits the Griso rear wheel? I know. I could just buy it, pull the wheel and see for myself. But I thought I'd check here before going through the time and expense.

BTW, the item number of this adapter at HF has changed apparently to a drip hose for some odd reason. I saw one locally and I just might have to buy it and see, perhaps they discontinued? They refer to it as a "BMW" adapter.

Attachments

• 98490.gif
    98490.gif
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,005
I don't think it will, but this tool works for all large hole wheels. http://www.nomar-secure.com/product_p/bl-largecones.htm You have both large cones face the same way, then screw them together. The large outer of one cone is against the flat of the wheel, the second goes inside the other when you screw them together. This is what I use for Guzzi and all BMW wheels to include the very large hole 1200 BMW wheels.

Using a piece of paper I basically punched holes in the direct center of each of the 4 bolts holding on the rear Griso wheel. Then I went to HF. I pulled the bolts out of the adapter body to find that my paper holes were almost, if not perfect, a match to the centers on 4 of the threaded holes.

Using one of the ubiquitous HF 20% off coupons, I bought this thing for $25. I brought it home to find that it will work perfectly on the Griso rear wheel. I won't know for sure until I actually change a tire next season, but it looks very promising. See pics.

One strange thing is that the item named U.S. General BMW Motorcycle Wheel Balance Adapter or item #98490 does not pull up the product at the Harbor Freight website. I'm not sure if they are discontinuing this product, but I wouldn't wait to buy one if you think you'd like to have one. There were 2 on the shelf at my local HF today. I found mine right next to the HF wheel balancers (which I suspect will be my next purchase, as my rod, bearings and jack stand set up won't be able to fit in the tiny center hole on the adapter. Maybe I'll get just a steel rod and use the bearings I have, who knows.)

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 957
  • bolts.jpg
    bolts.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 959
  • cyl.jpg
    cyl.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 957
Once you actually remove the wheel and bolt up this adapter please let us know if the holes aline correctly. It will be nice to have something available that isn't very expensive. Also for the adapter to work properly, you will also need a rod with cones small enough to go into the center hole. Good luck and let us know what you discover.

Hmm, wonder if that means Griso wheels will bolt up to my K75 final drive. Who knows, more tire options in the future.

rbm said:
Hmm, wonder if that means Griso wheels will bolt up to my K75 final drive. Who knows, more tire options in the future.

The inside lip on the wheels are just enough different it may not. I have an adapter that fits over the inside lip on the older BMW wheels for balancing, it won't fit on the Guzzi wheel. That is why I went to the No Mar cones. They work on everything.

I bought one on sale too a while back. Last tire change I remembered that something needed modification, but couldn't remember what. I was able to get by without it since my balancer had large enough cones.

Today I was changing rubber, so I dug out the HF adaptor.

The dimensions are all correct, as well as the bolt pattern. The machined stepped section fits nicely on the stock Griso cast wheel (the machined mounting face). However the bolt holes are too small and would require enlarging and tapping (or use a longer version of the bolts that are supplied if you could get the conical sections). Skipping the bolts altogether, you might be able to slip it on (since it's a snug fit) and get by using it for balancing if you have small cones for your balancer set-up.

This photo shows the differences:

Attachments

• IMG_3618.JPG
    IMG_3618.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 682
Ok. I finally got around to using this balancer. Very simple to modify for Griso use. :p

In photo below, you will see the original package bolts are too short. Go to a hardware store and buy size M10 1.5 x 70mm. Then, use the OEM wedge shaped washers from the original lug bolts with this adapter.
zbal.jpg

Adapter will slip over right side of wheel center very easily:
zbal5.jpg

This the left side...only two bolts were necessary to attach adapter:
zbal2.jpg

I use rods, bearings and jack stands to balance. Get appropriate size solid steel rod and suitable bearings and it's a piece of cake to balance.
zbal4.jpg

zbal1.jpg

I'm very happy with this set up!

Just reading up on this... my NoMar balancer came with two "cones" on their standard non-threaded rod. Because of the casting diameter of the rear wheel, the medium cones work perfectly with no additional adapters. I do have the large cones & threaded rod for Ducs & sim.

Just to be sure, to be sure ...................................
BMW R1100/1150 4 bolt stud pattern is identical to Guzzi CARC.
Guzzi studs are M12 x 1.25 (fine thread)

Ah...yes. I should have realized that. So it sounds like those large cones do the trick. I'll have to consider that set up when I have to do my first tire change. Thanks!

One cone is point away so the wide end is against the wheel. I place that one on the CARC side of the wheel.

Back