• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Has Anyone Dealt with Newport Italian in Newport Beach, CA?

tiltmode43

Tuned and Synch'ed
EDIT:

Just amended this thread to cut down to the facts. I dropped the bike off for a valve adjustment, basic servicing, and overall inspection.

Problems encountered:

-Charged $90 for labor I did not approve/was not notified of (correcting a bad ground)

-Charged for 4 qts of oil

-Incorrect weight of oil used (20w50)

After speaking with the owner, the resolution:

-Refunded $90 for the labor

-Refunded 2 qts of oil

-Offered to swap out oil for correct 10w60 as the 20w50 was an accident, they say

The owner was very apologetic and kind. This experience reminds me why I've always serviced my own vehicles in the past - usually cheaper & you can trust the work (and if you goof, you can only blame yourself :)).

Re: Has Anyone Dealt with Newport Italian in Newport Beach,

Care to tell us a bit about your problem & how it has been handled so far?

I have no experience with NB Italian, and only a very little at all recent experience with Pro Italia, which was fine, although certainly others on this board have had plenty with PI. Not sure what they had to do that led to the $90 solder job, but the part about a bike going in running (I assume) just fine, and coming out "unrideable" is at the least unsettling, pending what they do to hopefully make it right. Wonder what they did to make the change in how it was running? Mess with TPS or CPU programming, perhaps? Used to be that any bike in for service was given a test ride before it was returned to the owner to catch those kind of problems-and often things that the owner had missed. Keep us appraised.

Great outcome Matt, thanks for the feedback.

It is good to know that Newport Italian may be OK because I would not be keen to take my bike back to Pro Italia unless I really had to. Pro Italia may be good with Ducatis but I did not get the impression that they had any real expertise with MG.

I'm fortunate to have Todd up the road but as long as my bike's still under warranty there's always a chance that I may have to take it to a dealer. Based on your experience with Newport Italian I would probably give them a shot if anything needed fixing under warranty.

hhkiwi said:
Great outcome Matt, thanks for the feedback.

It is good to know that Newport Italian may be OK because I would not be keen to take my bike back to Pro Italia unless I really had to. Pro Italia may be good with Ducatis but I did not get the impression that they had any real expertise with MG.

I'm fortunate to have Todd up the road but as long as my bike's still under warranty there's always a chance that I may have to take it to a dealer. Based on your experience with Newport Italian I would probably give them a shot if anything needed fixing under warranty.

Not sure how busy Pro Italia's service department is but Newport Italian offered a decent price and a quick return.

If you want to talk to someone who knows the ins and outs of Guzzis, Bobby @ Pro Italia Guzzi/Triumph Sales would be your man. He's got a personal collection of parts and has built numerous V7's. I've picked up a few parts from him myself, always a pleasure to visit.

I live in Long Beach and am not close to any dealers. Newport Italian is the closest, but they really are a Vespa boutique. I like to go there on weekends, check out the eye candy and drink their expresso.

I had a warranty issue when I had my V7 and took it to Pro Italia. It took awhile to get it in the shop, but they were very thorough and did an excellent job on the bike. They had to pull the swingarm and tranny to get to the clutch. There was not so much as a smudge on my shiny red frame (Racer). The service writer guy is a bit of a pollock, but the mechanics do good work.

I bought my V7R at Newport Italian in May, not too long after they opened,and I drop by to talk to them occasionally. Tis my opinion that your dealer should be your best friend! You never know when you might need him! I did my own 600 mi check, but I asked the mechanic about the oil and he said they serviced them with 20w-50, and it is fine. Since I'd been using Mobil1 V-Twin in my previous bikes, I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't work in the Guzzi. It's got 6500 miles on it now and is running quite well!
I did call them once to set up an appointment to get a headlight problem take care of. I thought I was going to have to pull he tank, but since it was under warranty, I'd let them do it. The tank was full and I didn't want to have to screw with it. They were very good about the appointment, but I found the problem and canceled the appointment. They did give me a couple of parts off new bikes to replace some broken ones I had, spark plug cap and oring. They have treated my very well down there. I have no complaints at this point!
The bike is great,too. My first venture into Guzzi-land!
Bare

Ended up returning to them and honestly, their customer service has won me over... the entire staff is friendly, work is completed very quickly, and the price beats Pro Italia by far in my experience. I will be servicing my bike when possible but with other things I don't mind paying for, I will be dropping by NI.

FWIW - I ended up keeping the 20w50. I figure in a setting such as SoCal this weight is entirely fine.

Back