Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY PRODUCT or other website hyperlinks. This means to ANY products OR to other Forums . We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's a privately funded website. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Headers- Get Back That Showroom Shine

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by ginkgo, Jan 25, 2015.

1. ginkgo

ginkgo Tuned and Synch'ed

I found a great way to return the shine to the exhaust header pipes on my 2013 Griso, Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream. I previously tried Barkeeper's Friend and it took off the golden color but it's abrasives are too coarse or too hard, and it left the pipes clean but cloudy. Blue Magic works great, takes off the golden color and restores the polished metal look. I used a micro fiber cloth and lots of elbow grease. I got the cream at Autozone. Blue-Magic.jpg Here's a pic.

Adam Davis likes this.
  2. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

The cheaper version is vinegar and aluminium foil. (OK, aluminum foil :D).

3. iainw

iainw Cruisin' Guzzisti

Tin foil in our house. :D

4. Ad B

Ad B Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Hi,

once a year, I do it "the old school" way...
    Take them off the bike and polish them with a big polish brush(ø 30 cm) in drill press.

Ad B

5. abbienormal

abbienormal High Miler GT Famiglia

Is it just me? On single wall stainless or titanium exhausts I like the gold color. Of course, I am also lazy when it comes to polishing. The 1400 has double wall so they don't change but if I ever decide to drop the cash for a different exhaust, which also probably means fueling upgrades, it will be single wall and discolored.

6. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I am much like you on that. Some people don't like the liver spots that stainless pipes often get (it is stainLESS, not stainFREE). Others don't like the change in color to that stainless takes on when exposed to heat. I like the color change and don't care much about the liver spots.
    That said, I did sand mine Griso pipes down to a lovely satin finish to reduce the amount of work required to keep them up. I would like to coat them but don't care enough to have done it yet.

7. Ad B

Abbienormal... the factory headerpipes of a Griso are made of double wall pipes...
    If the fueling is okay, the pipes doesn't color much.
    But I don't like the stains, which you see after some time. Dirt from the road is causing that.
    Because of that, I polish my headers once a year.

Ad B

8. GrisoGringo

GrisoGringo Just got it firing!

Ad B. Do you find its easier to polish by removing the headers? My Griso has the liver spots and I want to remove them. I don't mind the wheat color of the exhausts so much but the liver spots are a non-starter.

9. Oz1200Guzzi

Oz1200Guzzi High Miler

Tried the vinegar and alfoil on the weekend - works but elbow grease is still required....

10. Ad B

Yes, I think it's much easier.
    Let the machine do the work instead your hands and arms...
    And it only will cost you 2 exhaust gaskets.

11. Brent S

Brent S Just got it firing!

I have a 2014 Griso and made the mistake of allowing some synthetic detailing mist to accidentally settle on the headers. Didn't notice it until the next time I started the bike........immediate and horrible liver spotting where each droplet of spray had settled on the pipes.

Ended up buying an Autosol "Metal Care" pack which included Metal Lifesaver liquid which removed the spotting after some bloody hard rubbing. Trouble is it returned as soon as the bike was used again. Repeat half a dozen times, but this time finish the job with the Autosol Metal Polish Liquid which seemed to stop the pipes from re-oxidising so quickly. Much better this time. Only tiny spots after my last ride which came off relatively quickly.

I'm no scientist, but once the steel gets an impurity on the surface, you're in for some heartache and hard scrubbing to remove it. That said, the pipes look pretty shiny now!

Brent.

12. Android

Android Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Nice one Brian, tried it today
    Excellent