• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

headlight bulbs

Roblatt

High Miler
Gents,

I've just replaced the headlight on my 06 B11 with a standard 55w H7 bulb. Now that was my spare and I'm going to replace it (I always keep a spare). I have no desire to change to higher wattage or LED.

My intention is to replace with the same 55w H7. In my search, I've found so many variations ranging from "standard" to "plus 130", blue diamond ...etc. Now a H7 is a H7 but, I can source them from $60 a pair right down to $35 for a 10 pack. Is anyone able to throw some light (pun intended) on the topic.

Why would I spend $30 for one globe when I can get a cheapie for $3.50 and replace it even if it doesn't last as long? Is the light thrown that different?

Thanks in advance.

regards

Robert

Here is my take on bulbs for a motorcycle, especially ones with a lot of vibration. The cost is inversely proportional to the life of the bulb for Halogen H7 bulbs. I have found that the advertised brighter (and more expensive) 55W bulbs (ie the plus 100, plus 130, etc) tend to only last a year or so of heavy riding. A standard brightness bulb will last several years. If you are happy with the stock bulb, then get the basic H7 bulb. I use Osram in my Stelvio which is most likely the stock one in your bike.

I order them from Powerbulbs in England. Fast, free delivery and relatively cheap but a local supplier will also do just fine.

https://www.powerbulbs.com/store/category/car-bulbs/fitting/h7-499

I tried one of the LED replacement bulbs last year. The one I used had the electric fan for cooling.
While the light was whiter, the pattern on the road was not smooth and the actual light that it put out was less than useful. After a month or so I noticed some flickering, I removed the bulb to find that the fan housing had begun to melt.

I ended up replacing it with a Sylvania Silverstar, I don't remember exactly which one. This is still a 55w bulb but provides a whiter light than the standard halogen. The light is much better for me when compared to the LED and the pattern is great. The light it puts out is whiter than that of the standard halogen and makes night riding better for me.

The downside is there is a shorter life reported for these bulbs. Rather than having the same bulb in for a number of years I'm prepared for it to not last more than 1 year.

I tried the Sylvania Silverstart "brighter and whiter" H7 in my Breva 1100. Brighter it might have been, whiter is not a term I would use. It was distinctively bluer, I found the details of the road were not as visible with this higher colour temperature bulb.

Of course, it didn't last very long, and left me without a dipped beam in a small country town without street lighting. When I saw approaching traffic, I had to pull over as I couldn't see anything with the high beam turned off.

Back to stock for me.

Ah the light comes on...

Robert, will be down your way next month (Gembrook) and I have tentative plans for dinner one night at the newly reopened Gembrook Hotel. Interested? I will be meeting LG and his wife who also live close to Gembrook. I am visiting my Mother-out-law for her 85th birthday...

Be nice to meet-n-greet

Ah the light comes on...

Robert, will be down your way next month (Gembrook) and I have tentative plans for dinner one night at the newly reopened Gembrook Hotel. Interested? I will be meeting LG and his wife who also live close to Gembrook. I am visiting my Mother-out-law for her 85th birthday...

Be nice to meet-n-greet

Tony,

I'm in (provided it's not Easter main days). I'd love to catch up. Apparently the refurb is quite nice. I've been meaning to get there, now I have a reason, I may even bring the "leader of the opposition".

Robert

We are intending to be there for Anzac Day (MIL's birthday) and we are leaving Easter Monday. Plans are very fluid at the moment.

A rather "special" character - always going at maximum speed, strong as an ox too. It will be an education. He does have a redeeming point though, he owns a yellow LM III Magni, which he purchased from the US some years back. He rides it interstate to rallies (even as far as QLD) so it's not for show. It's called "Il Bombo".

Last edited by a moderator:
A rather "special" character - always going at maximum speed, strong as an ox too. It will be an education. He does have a redeeming point though, he owns a yellow LM III Magni, which he purchased from the US some years back. He rides it interstate to rallies (even as far as QLD) so it's not for show. It's called "Il Bombo".
ha ha.
I look forward to meeting him. It will be a good catch up.
I rode to Qld last November. I came home rather sore, but it was fun.

cheers

Robert

Back