• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Headlight switch.

Marshy

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I have a 2011 NTX 5000 miles, I'm having a problem with my headlight switch (I think).

When I turn the engine on, the headlights (both) sometimes don't come on straight away, then when I use the high beam, and switch back to dipped beam the lights go out for a couple of seconds then come back on.

The other morning I was traveling to work, I put high beam on ok, then when I switch back NO lights :woohoo: I quickly played with the dip switch and the main beam came back on.

A while ago i did spray some silicon based spray in the switch (done this to previous bikes just to prevent corrosion) anyway I've took the switch apart couldn't see much wrong with it.

Any suggestions please. :(

Marshy.

I had a problem with the left hand switch assy on my June 2011 version last year. It was corrosion causing the factory heated grips to stay on during the summer months! Hot! Had the whole switch replaced under warranty. Recently I had a minor problem with the High beam not coming on when switched. Sprayed some lube in switch and all ok now. But I fear water ingress is an issue for this switch. Can you still get warranty?

UKstridey.

Yes my bike is still under warranty, that was my next port of call if some WD didn't work.

I'm hoping to take it for it's 6000 miles service next month, also I've been told by the dealer there is some warranty work to be done anyway.

Cheers,
Marshy.

Yes, a few others have had heat damage to the headlight switch.
Get it replaced under warranty.
It would be a good idea if you installed a set of relays to avoid passing the load through the switch.

Stop using the damn silicone around anything electrical unless you want to continue to have problems.

http://tinyurl.com/d4k9wp7

Wayne.

Thanks for the advise, I'll be in touch with the dealer as to a replacement.

Just out of interest what is it about Silican and Electrics! In the past I've always used WD40.

Cheers,
Marshy.

WD-40 is a good water dispersant but it also has an oily residue that attracts dirt. You might be better off to use electrical contact cleaner.

Wayne,

Had a look at the link, point taken about Silican. Might give the switch a clean with Elecrical contact cleaner.

Cheers,
Marshy.

Marshy said:
Wayne,

Had a look at the link, point taken about Silican. Might give the switch a clean with Elecrical contact cleaner.

Cheers,
Marshy.

If you can disassemble it and inspect it for heat damage. Don't foul up any warranty though.

Wayne.

There's four screws holding the two main switches inside, but the problem is the large black toggle switch, this has to be taken off from the outside before removing the inside piece.

Unfortunately everything else is kind of held in by it. :angry:

Marshy.

For what it's worth, I'm having the same anomaly with my 2011/12 Norge.

Today, for example: I went for a short ride. The headlights (nor my auxiliaries, which are wired into the same circuit) wouldn't come on. Only my parking lights were illuminated. I rode for about 40 miles. I stopped the bike several times, turned the engine off, then back on...to no avail.

Almost home, I stopped to top up the gas tank (I like to leave it with a full tank in the winter months). Lo and behold, when I started up again...LET THERE BE LIGHT!

Since when did Guzzi start using Lucas?

Since my last post I've booked my bike for a service, I mentioned about my issue they are going to have a look.

Now since then and from my last post, I had given the switch a good spray with WD40, the bloody thing has started working perfectly :angry: I can only think a mixture of damp getting in and maybe because I used some Silicon based spray (see previous post).

I'm just going to see if they can see anything when taken for it's service :!:

Marshy.

Marshy said:
Since my last post I've booked my bike for a service, I mentioned about my issue they are going to have a look.

Now since then and from my last post, I had given the switch a good spray with WD40, the bloody thing has started working perfectly :angry: I can only think a mixture of damp getting in and maybe because I used some Silicon based spray (see previous post).

I'm just going to see if they can see anything when taken for it's service :!:

Marshy.

Marshy,

Did you dissassemble it first, or just force some WD40 in there? Just curious....

Mojohand,

I couldn't fully disassemble it as the large toggle switch wouldn't come apart (didn't want to force it to much) all I was able to get at was some of the light switch contacts, they looked ok.

Since my last post I have taken my bike out in the dark, 70 mile round trip, it did play up a couple of times, when on high beam and switching back to main the lights went out for a could of seconds then came on :shock:.

Marshy.

Has anybody worked out putting in a relay for the headlights?

This seems like a very good idea. I know the Vstroms had similar problems with the headlight switches overheating from running too much current through them for the twin headlights.

Most cars use relays for the headlights.

Back