• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Headlight Upgrade

Todd, those are both for mounting in the cheap stock bucket right?
They are the correct size, but I modify them to bolt in, or I had to on the one I used.

I don't think they are turn signals but lights that light up where you are turning. These, as i understand it are triggered by lean angle and are designed to be able to see where you are going around a corner. This sounds pretty good, but, the problem still exists for people who ride on the correct side of the road.:D
Cheers
Brian :)

I don't think they are turn signals but lights that light up where you are turning. These, as i understand it are triggered by lean angle and are designed to be able to see where you are going around a corner. This sounds pretty good, but, the problem still exists for people who ride on the correct side of the road.:D

What problem? If the turn light is triggered by lean angle dynamically, it'll be correct whether you are in a left hand or right hand priority environment.

The problem I refer to is the aiming of the low beam light. It is aimed slightly to the right in your case (by position of the filament in the bulb) or slightly to the left in the case of left-hand drive vehicles.
Cheers
Brian :happy:

I don't know about that.

I set up my headlight on my own markers and, at least in my headlight, both high and low beam are collimated on the same centerline. It's always been that way for traditional motorcycle mono-headlight systems, since a motorcycle is a single track vehicle which leans to turn. Automotive headlamps are different due to being fixed lamps for a dual track vehicle with very different illumination and turning behaviors. This is why automotive and motorcycle headlamp replacement units are always different part numbers.

The JW Speaker LED adaptive headlamp unit I bought for my Ducati Scrambler was also side to side symmetric in design with respect to high and low beam. It adaptively sensed motorcycle lean angle and switched illuminating elements on and off to adjust ... one of the best motorcycle headlights I've ever used. I may yet ask GT to do me a custom fitment of one of those for Racer.

G

I don't know about that.

I set up my headlight on my own markers and, at least in my headlight, both high and low beam are collimated on the same centerline. It's always been that way for traditional motorcycle mono-headlight systems, since a motorcycle is a single track vehicle which leans to turn. Automotive headlamps are different due to being fixed lamps for a dual track vehicle with very different illumination and turning behaviors. This is why automotive and motorcycle headlamp replacement units are always different part numbers.

The JW Speaker LED adaptive headlamp unit I bought for my Ducati Scrambler was also side to side symmetric in design with respect to high and low beam. It adaptively sensed motorcycle lean angle and switched illuminating elements on and off to adjust ... one of the best motorcycle headlights I've ever used. I may yet ask GT to do me a custom fitment of one of those for Racer.

G
This is not correct in Oz, and I'd guess many other countries too. Headlamp bulbs are common across cars and bikes. Bike headlights, like cars have a little tick up on the left side to light up the side of the road without blinding on-coming drivers.

Hmm. That's counter to all my experience with Marchall, Cibie, and Lucas motorcycle headlamp replacement units in the past, or with any of the OEM headlights. The only ones which had a right- or left-handed assymetry were the Bosch 8" headlamp units fitted to mid-'70s BMW motorcycles (R90, R100 series).

Bulb are of course common across automobiles and motorcycles ... an H4 is an H4, an H7 is an H7. It's always the reflector and lens that are specific.

I see in the parts book that the V7II Racer lists two complete headlamp units ... one CA/EU/USA, the other JAPAN/UK. However my parts book for the V7III Racer lists only one headlamp unit for all markets—either that or the copy of it that I was able to obtain has been edited to be specific to the region. Moreover, when I set up Racer to adjust the headlamp, neither the high or low beam output shows any asymmetrical tail to right or left: they're both perfectly symmetrical patterns which are collimated on the same center axis.

It doesn't make sense for such tails to be used on motorcycles since motorcycles MUST lean to corner. It makes sense for them with respect to automobiles since automobiles stay largely flat when cornering and the tail is used to illuminate near-side roadway signs ... thus absolutely have to be different for left-hand vs right-hand priority contexts.

There are other reasons why there might be different spec'ed headlamp units for different regions, most of them regulatory in nature. But none of them necessarily mean a pattern difference. I'd like to see a snap of the headlight pattern at 10m distance on a flat wall from an Oz headlamp vs my USA headlamp ... When next I'm fit to work on the bike, I'll snap one. :)

Here is the solution for all of your requirements (except low cost - but you get what you pay for).
https://www.guzzitech.com/store/category/electronics/led/
Certified LED lights - DOT for US, European for left hand travel in England and Australia, and European for right hand travel in the rest of Europe.
Metal light bucket
Plug and play
AND...drum roll please....an Adaptive headlight with extra LEDs that shine around the corner when you are leaning into a turn.

Dan

I fitted one of the Motodemic units when I had the Scrambler (its headlight was truly awful and I tossed it almost immediately). The JW Speaker Adaptive LED headlamp they use is one of the best, if not THE best, motorcycle headlamps I've had on any bike.

BUT, Moto Guzzi changed the headlight mounting points on the V7III models compared to the earlier V7II models so Motodemic doesn't have a product for the V7III as yet ... I'd have to do the much larger and more expensive job of replacing all the stock brackets and maybe the turn signals as well to fit one.

The JW Speaker Adaptive LED headlamp unit is available from other sources. I have considered going for one and engaging GT to make a mounting adapter for the stock V7III headlamp bucket. (Personally, I really like the fact that the Racer headlamp bucket is a very light but sturdy plastic part. It's less mass at the front end of the motorcycle and less weight swinging around with the steering. I've had to replace steel headlight buckets in the past due to corrosion inside that was not obvious since you open them up so infrequently. I've never had to replace a headlamp bucket made of aluminum or plastic on any of the bikes I had that were so equipped. In fact, when building specials in the past, I often replaced whatever stock headlamp unit they had with a 1970s era Honda plastic headlamp bucket and mounting hardware because they were light, strong, and had an excellent headlight mounting system.)

I am happy to spend money on things that I believe are going to be to my advantage. I get a little more skeptical and stingy when I'm not sure there's enough benefit to be worth it.. :)

G

Without breaking the bank I've had noticeable improvements w/relay kits from "eastern beaver" .also good 411 about bulb temps & other stuff ,just saying

Their "3 Eyes LED" headlight is not legal for street use according to an UK Amazon seller (and not shippable to the US).

Dan

Just installed the non-adaptive version last week on a V7ii: very slick...
Inquiring minds want to know:
Have you ridden at night?
How are the light patterns? Brightness?
Did anyone flash you while you were on low beam?

Dan

Regrettably, I haven't ridden it at night yet, but should have a chance by the end of the week (work and management of a three-year have conspired against me). I can say that it looks as slick as you'd imagine, and is a beautifully engineered plug and play solution. I'll post an update regarding beam pattern/brightness etc. ASAP.

I remember fitting the adaptive version of the JW Speaker headlight onto my short-lived Ducati project last Summer after being appalled at how poor the stock headlight was. It was like night and day: the LED headlamp was very crisp with excellent and useful low and high beams compared to the murky splash of light that came out of that bike's stock headlight.

The V7III Racer headlight is a better performer than the Ducati was, particularly with high-output OSRAM bulb in it, but the high beam is mostly irrelevant ... it doesn't illuminate better enough than the low beam to help in any significant way. The adaptive version of the JW Speaker headlamp will definitely improve things a good lot.

Inquiring minds want to know:
Have you ridden at night?
How are the light patterns? Brightness?
Did anyone flash you while you were on low beam?

Dan
Finally took the bike out last night to test the Motodemic non-adaptive light. The low beam has excellent peripheral reach and distinct, but not sharp, cutoffs. The high beam provides very good long-range vision and combines with the low beam so that you don't lose clear vision of the ground in front of you when using high beam. The high seems to act as a spotlight in that it splashes a clear spot of light to the left or right as you lean to either side: very useful. I didn't get flashed with the low beam and interestingly, didn't get flashed by oncoming traffic when the high beam was on either. The non-adaptive light seems to track better than OEM when turning as well (maybe due to the better quality and reach of the beam). VERY satisfied with this setup!

Back