• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Heads up 750 Small block owners and a confession

draidt

High Miler
GT Contributor
Posted on Wild Guzzi also

I just finished up changing the rear brake pads and cleaning the rotor (not to mention just about everything else from the motor back) on my less then 1000 mile V7C.
Because some stupid idiot didn't tighten down the dip stick cap tight enough. Ah, that would be me.
Coming home from a great 100 mile ride on Monday, when coming around a corner and winding up thru the gears my left foot slipped off the peg and looking down my boot and pant leg was covered with oil and a big could of smoke came out from the area. Came to a stop as soon as I could without having the bike slid out from under me as I felt that awful no traction squirming in the rear. There it was the dip stick completely out and just dangling around along with a lot of oil dripping from every place from the motor back.
Bad news it happened and cost me a set of brake pads.
Good news I didn't see the oil light come on or flicker and I came to a safe stop.

I lost about 3/4 of a liter of oil in a very few seconds but was able to ride home very carefully and slowly.
So heads up you small block owners if you ever have a brain fart like I did be very thankful you put on a sump spacer as that is the only reason I didn't do any damage to the motor and I am convinced of that . If you haven't put one on then use this stupid idiot's experience as food for thought.

Thought about not posting this but maybe I can use this experience so some one else can avoid it. The dip stick has to be tighten with a Gorilla grip.

loctite?

:silly:

<far far far away>

Glad to see nothing happened to you or the bike!

John, sillier things happen to the best of us. Glad to hear no catastrophes were the result.

So we can advertise a new "safety feature" for the pan spacer, eh? :huh:

Had the same thing happen to me on my old Eldo back in Massachusetts about 25 years ago. Fortunately the big blocks come with plenty of oil capacity to spare. What a mess, but in my case no damage beyond the mess. Happened just I was about to exit the freeway on the way to then dealer (now long out of business I believe) Freeman Cycles in Beverly, MA. Same big cloud, thought I'd blown the motor, oil all over-but didn't even feel the bike slither around, somehow. Shop was just off the freeway, they helped me clean up the mess. My chromed metal plug/dipstick came completely out-but settled loosely in to the space between engine block & frame, found it there after I pulled in to Freeman's. Never failed to make those suckers real tight after that.

Back