• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Heated Grips for MGX

Same thing in France, they are sold separately. But the complete package is very cheap .
Vizir

I have followed this entire thread, so I'm aware of the differences. The main reason listed for incompatibility is the throttle tube (cable vs. integrated electronics). I was thinking you could remove and replace the throttle side onto the electronic throttle tube, but that won't work, since the OEM heated grips would have the wires as part of the throttle tube, and aren't designed to slip over an existing throttle tube like the Oxfords. Also the handlebar has a new part number for 2017+, so I'm not even sure the screw holes are there for the grip on the clutch side either.
Yes, And I think that the diameters are different
Vizir

Interesting, yes, please post some photos when you get a chance. I'm looking to install either Koso or Oxford grips soon myself.

Dave
Finally, I have found my photos :)) I'm quite distracted :))
The first photo is just to check the system, of course .
The big black cables are from the Oxford grips, and I have installed the small white connectors, as you can see it.

Last edited:
Hello
Just want to confirm the Oxford kit is for 7/8" bar.
2018 Eldorado
Thanks
Scott

I have mounted this product :
oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/handlebar_accessories/hotgrips_premium_touring/
Vizir

Thanks
I contacted Oxford before seeing this thread and they recommended the 1" kit EL801Z.
Scott

It's the wrong kit.
The cali handle bar is nor 1" at the end, but 22mm, and 120 mm length, it's not a japan "cruiser" or HArley .
The length of the grips are nearly 120 mm without the counterweight .

OK, I got my Oxford grips installed and tested on my 2017 Euro4 California Touring. Here is my experience:

- The throttle tube was completely smooth, no ridges to file down. It was however, 1.03" in diameter, vs. 1.00" for the throttle grip. I had to spend a lot of time with a file on the grip to get it to fit. Someone mentioned a drum sander, but I couldn't find anything easily that went all the way through, or even halfway.

- I needed to leave a gap to take into account the slight bump where the throttle sensor is, otherwise the grip will be fouled against it.

- Both grips needed trimming to clear the bar end weights.

- The glue sets up extremely fast. You basically get one shot at the throttle side, so everything needs to be lined up perfectly and then pushed straight on. I put glue on the throttle tube by the switch pack, and on the grip by the bar end. I wanted to get mine a little closer to the switch pack than I did, but I guess that beats having it too close and dragging.

- The factory connectors in the harness were a lot lower on my bike than on Vizir's, so I had to make extension cables. I used the waterproof connectors on the grip, and then cut the wires from the controller to use for the Molex connectors. I had to splice additional wire from the clutch side setup to make the complete run.

- Someone mentioned in another post to plug the grips in and warm them up to ease installation. That actually worked really well. One caution though - push both sides on the bar while you are figuring final positioning for each side. The grips are designed to have the bar there as a heat sink to prevent overheating. The last photo shows what happens when it overheats :(.

The end result was the same as Vizir - working heated grips through the factory connections and control button. Would I do it this way again? Not sure at this point. Oxford is now including the clutch lever mounting bracket for their controller, so finding where to mount it is less of an issue. Also, the throttle grip does get warmer than the clutch grip, due to one being on a plastic tube and the other being on a metal bar. The factory button isn't really easy to reach, you still have to move your hand off of the grip to get to it. I think if I were to do it again, I would probably go with the newer Oxford Evo grips, which get warmer faster and have closer temps left and right. I would use the Oxford controller mounted to the clutch M/C, get the Tyco plug for the connector by the battery (same circuit as heated grips), and wire it back there to have it on and off with the ignition. It is nice that we have at least a couple of options.

One final note - the 2017+ handlebar does not contain the threaded holes for the clutch side OEM heated grip, so nothing about the OEM Cal heated grip kit will work on the Euro4 models. Oh - and plan on several hours to do the install, between filing, fitting, wiring, etc..

Dave

20201116 174942 20201118 190408 20201107 182427 20201120 174941

Last edited:
Hello Dave,
Good news.
Of course, you need several hours to do the install correctly, but the result is very good.
I didn't want to have a controller on the handle bar, and many other big cables, and see an other ugly device on it , and, what is more, not very convenient , even if the Oxford controller is more efficient, than the Guzzi wiring.
Yes, the temperature seems to be slightly different between the 2 grips , but, every heated grips in the market are like this .
Yes, the new EVO oxford model seems to be the good solution due to the separate control (very good idea), but in this case, it's necessary to install the complet system with their controller (ugly), and the big quantity of cables to install on the handlebar, and for me, it isn't possible :))
I prefer our integrated solution with the guzzi controls even if it is less efficient.:)))
But yesterday, I used them in the suburb of Paris for 100 km, and, finally, they heat correctly by 9° Celcius with mid season gloves .
I think that in addition, I will install the National Cycle Hand Deflectors N5502 very well matched with our bike, and the eagle engraved .

Vizir
PS : reassure me, Dave : on the last photo with the overheating grip, it isn't yours ?

9A38DDB8 B599 49DA B254 8AD13FED27FC F2C78801 2BD9 4DBB B050 1F17EFA31313 A89DC1F3 D55F 4F68 86E6 7B2879D2A03F

Just a thought as I am contemplating this mod. What if I ordered the one inch set and used a 7/8" id x 1" od plastic phenolic spacer on the clutch side. That would allow for the throttle to be installed without modification. Again just a thought.
Scott

Check what is supplied before ordering. You will probably find that the sizes differ for clutch and throttle sides already. No phenolic spacer required. Pity, because it would make the heating of both sides similar speed to warm up.

Vizir - I do agree that using the Oxford controller does require extra wiring on the handlebar. The grip wiring is bulky enough (overbuilt IMO, the heated grips on my Triumph Trophy just had the two wires in a typical conduit wrap, not the heavy duty, almost coax, insulation of the Oxfords). Using the Guzzi factory controller does have a neater appearance, and works really well. It would help if the factory button had a more tactile feel to it. With my heated winter gloves, I have a hard time telling whether I've pressed it or not without having to look down at the display.

PS : reassure me, Dave : on the last photo with the overheating grip, it isn't yours ?

Yes, unfortunately that was my grip. Luckily I had already ordered spares, so I had an extra one on hand.

Dave

Dave, just an idea about the factory small button : on my 1200 Aprilia caponord rally, I have added a small plastic translucent cap on the cruise control button, just stuck on it, and it becomes very easy to catch , you could do the same thing .
EX: fr.rs-online.com/web/p/patins-antiderapants/1034236/
Vizir
PS : What do you think about the handguards ?

OK I have a question regarding the OXFORD Premium Touring grips vs the OXFORD EVO Touring grips. The difference I see between the two is the updated controller and the updated waterproof wiring harness. My understanding is that the EVO will now sense the temperature of each grip and keep them regulated to separately the the desired temperature you've set them to.

So is it worth the extra money for the EVO's? Also if I purchase the EVO's I don't believe I'll have the option of using the existing wiring on my 2017 Cali Touring to plug direct into with the Molex connectors because the controller has been upgraded to sense the temperature of each grip. If I purchase the OXFORD Premium grips and wire them up to the Molex connectors thus utilizing the Media Button / Heater button built in do the grips get hot enough on setting number1 or do they need to be set on #2 or #3. I understand it depends on the weather conditions and preference.

Vizir or does anyone have any thoughts about this. Also if choose to wire the grips to my battery can I just lift the tank to gain enough access to thread the wiring through back to the battery or do i need to remove the tank?

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Gmanisintexas,
In my opinion, the best solution is, as I did it, to choose the Oxford touring model, not the EVO , to avoid upsetting the guzzi computer which manages the heated grips . With this solution, you use the Guzzi original button to choose one of the 3 temperature .
It's not necessary to remove the tank, just lift it to gain enough access, yes, that'all .
But, if you prefer more cables on the handlebar, and no wire modifications, you can plug the EVO directly on the battery, but, for me, it's better aesthetically speaking, to mount the normal oxford , with no controller or cables on the bar , and you use the small guzzi button .

Vizir thanks for replying. I've decided to go your route. I ordered the Oxford Heaterz Premium Touring from Amazon for $73 Dollars US. I realize they're they older model however I like being able to use the existing Guzzi wiring. Today I removed right side steering head cover and dug out the two molex connectors you showed in your pictures. I've already ordered the Molex connectors with the part numbers you listed and the molex pins. I wasn't sure before today what the gauge of the wiring on the molex connectors was so i ordered two different sizes that will work with the connectors I ordered.

I currently have Grip Puppies installed on my grips so hopefully I can remove and save those along with the stock grips.

When I'm done I'll post some pictures like yourself so others will have the guidelines to do this install if desired.

Thanks

Gerry

Last edited:
Back