• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Heated grips for V7 850 ?

anders

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Apparently Guzzi doesn`t offer OEM heated grips for V7 850 or at least that`s what dealer claimed. I recall reading from somewhere that V7 850 would have connector for heated grips from the factory ? V850TT has heated grips but are they different size than V7 ?

Koso HG13 system seems pretty simple and easy to install but does V7 have 22mm & 25mm grips ? If there is a connector from factory it is probably not usable for aftermarket grips and would need some kind activation (?) I guess.

If there is a connector from factory it is probably not usable for aftermarket grips and would need some kind activation (?) I guess.
There is a connector. It's under the tank. No idea on activation.

There is a connector. It's under the tank. Blue and green 2-wire connector from memory. no idea on activation.

Good to know. It can be tested with multimeter and if it`s always on it could be used with aftermarket grips. I`ll check it when I have to take tank off.
I`m just guessing and recalling what I have seen in discussions but doesn`t V850TT need activation for heated grips ? If so I would guess it is same thing with V7 850.
Anyway if they haven`t already made OEM heated grips for V7 850 they probably are not going to make. Which is strange because of the connector etc. so it shouldn`t be hard job.

I believe it to be a 3 prong grey connector with 2 wires running to it. Blue (ground) and Orange.

Do a Google search on Oxford heated motorcycle grips. Lots of choices available.

They run independent to the motorcycle's electrical system, so shouldn't cause any problems.

My favorite is the Oxford Intelligent Heat Controller which you can marry with any other manufacture's heated grips. My GRiSO, and my V85 are both running this controller without any issues.

Do a Google search on Oxford heated motorcycle grips. Lots of choices available.

They run independent to the motorcycle's electrical system, so shouldn't cause any problems.

My favorite is the Oxford Intelligent Heat Controller which you can marry with any other manufacture's heated grips. My GRiSO, and my V85 are both running this controller without any issues.
Kiwi Dave, could you enlighten me on how the Oxford connect to OEM connection point to use them via own button on bar😀🙏

Thanks for the tip. I liked the Koso HG13 system because it "integrates" to the bike. Buttons are in the left grip so there is no separate controller. Oxford HotGrips Pro products also look nice, even simplier and the cable joints to grip look better. Koso advantage seems to be higher temperature but I would guess it`s not a big deal because I try to avoid riding in temperatures below 10`C (50F). Most important thing is that the is heating.

Too bad there ain`t grips with OEM pattern. I like the stock look.

I'm quite sure it's possible to mount cheap heated grip elements under OEM grips, like I did with my ex. CRF1000L. Problem with these is how to protect wires on throtle side against continoustwisting and bending. Other issue is that these make OEM grips about 2 mm thicker.

I ended up ordering Koso HG13.

Last edited:
I have the Koso Apollo on my 2017 V7 III and love them. Easy install, they look great and at the hottest setting they are HOT.

I'm quite sure it's possible to mount cheap heated grip elements under OEM grips, like I did with my ex. CRF1000L. Problem with these is how to protect wires on throtle side against continoustwisting and bending. Other issue is that these make OEM grips about 2 mm thicker.

splatshop.co.uk/heated-grip-kit.html

I ended up ordering Koso HG13.

Good choice. I saw a post of Koso Apollo (27-5869) installed to V7 850 and looks like the HG13 is pretty much same with just different grips. I also have HG13 on the shelf but haven`t installed them yet. Please post instructions when you have installed them.

Shouldn't be that difficult. Just use plenty of grip glue, first for lubricating when assembling, then for secure fastening. I'm planning to use heated grip power outlet that should be found front left under the tank. Just replace the connector with superseal. I'll post pictures when done.

I now finished installing Koso HG 13 heated grips on my V7 Special. OEM grips were easy to remove and I got them loose without cutting. Just sticked thin screwdriver between the grip and handlebar and applied CRC Rust Off penetrating oil for lubrication.

Koso HG 13 grips inside is hard plastic tube that does not strecht at all like rubber grips. So the grips must fit exactly on handlebar/throttle case. Throttle case has some plastic grooves that must be removed, easy by a hobby knife. Left hand side sits a bit loose. I first tried applying grip glue straight on the left side handlebar but it didn't hold. Koso grip is just too loose, even if it should be for 7/8" handlebar. So I ended up wrapping one layer of self vulcanizing electric tape on the handlebar before applying grip glue. Time will tell if it holds. Throttle side fits tight when the palstic grooves and skirt have been removed.

20240401 191553 20240401 191607 20240407 134721 20240407 134732
Koso HG 13 are about 1-2 mm thicker than Guzzi grips, so that's not so bad. Installing cheap heating elements under OEM Guzzi grips would have made them thicker. On throttle side I must lay on spacer between the bar end weight for preventing weight to toucht the grip. With one spacer there is about 1 mm gap.

It's a bit funny that Moto Guzzi does not provide heated grips kit for V7 even if there is a 12 V connector for them on Guzzi's wiring harness. Maybe they use same (partial) harness for other models also. The heated grip connector can be found front left side under the tank. Tank does not need to be completely removed. Just loosen the rear screw and move the tank 20 cm backwards. Gas hoses are long enough allowing that.

20240406 143554

The connector has two wires, red for 12 V+ and blue for ground. Since I hadn't a proper connector I replaced the connector by AMP Superseal waterproof connector.

20240407 132850

Koso control unit is quite thin so it fits easy under the tank, I zip tied it on the left side of the frame. Notice that there is a fuse on the control unit. Wires connecting Koso grips to control unit should be about 15 cm longer. Specially throttle side is too short since you have to leave some play for twisting the throttle and throttle side is a little bit more far away from 12 V connector which is on the left side of the frame. I managed to get left side grip connector under the tank, but right side grip connector must be left beside steering head. Luckily Koso uses high quality connectors and they seems to be sealed so I hope there won't be any problems with moisture.

Back