Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Heated grips help

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Robert Gibson, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Robert Gibson

Robert Gibson Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I was looking to possibly fit heated grips and I believe others have fitted Oxford aftermarket grips (as opposed to OEM) by splicing into the existing pre installed wiring.
    My own preference would be to source the compatible connector, attach to the Oxford grips and plug into the existing wiring thereby using the control switch on the left hand switch cluster.
    The concern I have is that the Oxford units would draw more current than the OEM units. Can anybody comment?

2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

You could see if you could find specs or ping Oxford and ask. Most of the technology is the same... thin/flat wire elements flowing electric current via a resisitor/switch. I suspect there is no issue using them as others have.

John L likes this.
  3. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I believe the Oxfords do draw more current than the heated grips Guzzi offers. Whether it is too much for the dashboard which regulates the current to the grips is a risk only you can decide. Others say they have installed Oxford grips with no problems.

The Guzzi grips measure 14 ohms cold, when they heat up the resistance will increase and the current will decrease. Use ohms law to compare the cold current with those of the Oxfords to help make your decision.

4. helmerson

helmerson Just got it firing!

Heated grip option (OEM Guzzi) is actually one of the very few add-ons which are not ridiculuously overpriced and well worth having, since they nicely integrate with the instrument control screen also. I had them retro-fitted by my dealer at the time when I decided to replace the Audace dragbar with the touring handlebar version. Heating has 3 stages and works wonderful, without adding extra clutter and cables to the bike.

Gary John likes this.
  5. caswain

caswain Tuned and Synch'ed

But talk about going back over instead of forward
    Moto Guzzi has not implemented this on the new 2017 model because the full ride by wire
    grips are not compatable with the heated grips
    if KTM and Aprilia can do it why cant Guzzi
    total let down by them on there top range bike

6. helmerson

Not available on 2017 model Cali 1400s? I am surprised, what's the difference of the older ride-by-wire throttle grip to that new one? Absolutely makes no sense to drop the heated grip option from a top end touring bike.
    Here is one link for the 'older' Cali:
    af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=56698

So the newer Cali doesn't use the same throttle cable hookup? Just curious, do you know more about this?

7. helmerson

8. Mike Tryon

Mike Tryon Just got it firing!

I just installed my heated grips and love them. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy took about 20 minuets. I would just go with official part then you have no worries about anything being wrong.

9. Corvo Nero

Corvo Nero Just got it firing!

Does your bike have throttle by wire?

10. Curt Russell

Curt Russell Tuned and Synch'ed

There is no conflict with throttle by wire and Moto Guzzi heated grips. My 2014 California 1400 has both and the grips work fine.

11. Corvo Nero

Corvo Nero Just got it firing!

Thanks, Curt. Late model Moto Guzzi California’s appears to have two different throttle-by-wire systems depending on year of manufacture. Your 2014 has a hybrid cable/wire system. My 2017 has a true throttle by wire system and, the, unfortunately, Moto Guzzi does not appear to have plans to make heated grips for the more current system.

12. Curt Russell

Curt Russell Tuned and Synch'ed

Well that’s unfortunate Corvo Nero because heated grips are really nice to have. I wish the O.P. Luck in finding a solution. If all else fails heated glove liners? Less bulky than most heated gloves.

13. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Oxfords may be the only answer, using their controller.