• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Heated grips no workey

Ninja

Tuned and Synch'ed
Yay - new to me old (2008) Stelvio.

Tried the heated grips tonight (not that I needed them, just curious) but they didn't work :(

Set them to max (3bars) on the display.

Would my assumption that as there's a cable going to each grip and that the display allows them to be controlled means that they are fitted be correct??!

Maybe a fuse or relay? Or something? Or I'm being a fool?

Ninja said:
Yay - new to me old (2008) Stelvio.

Tried the heated grips tonight (not that I needed them, just curious) but they didn't work :(

Set them to max (3bars) on the display.

Would my assumption that as there's a cable going to each grip and that the display allows them to be controlled means that they are fitted be correct??!

Maybe a fuse or relay? Or something? Or I'm being a fool?

This may sound dumb, but are you sure your Stelvio is actually equipped with heated grips? They were a factory option on older Stelvios, so even if you had the dash display, it doesn't necessarily mean your bike is so equipped. You should be able to see the wires running from the grips if you do have them. There is a wire going to each grip. If they aren't working, I would check the fuse array first.
-Bruce

Yeah, as I said there's a cable going to each grip, so that's why I assume they're fitted but as I've only just got the bike I'm pretty ignorant about it all so any info welcome :)

Ninja said:
Yeah, as I said there's a cable going to each grip, so that's why I assume they're fitted but as I've only just got the bike I'm pretty ignorant about it all so any info welcome :)

Got it. In that case, it sounds like a fuse is the likeliest culprit. Congrats on the purchase, by the way. I love my '09 Stelvio. :D

Bruce

Thanks Bruce - I'm so pleased with the bike - only got it Saturday, but its like a revelation - THIS is how good a bike can be :D And I've had a few over the years!

I'll check the fuses out tomorrow and see if I can have a look over the schematics in the mean time,

Cheers

Did you set it to high then back out of the menu?
And of course have the motor running?

It I remember, if you are just 'testing things out' in the garage without the motor on, and still in the grip heater menu, it doesn't kick on.

Yeah - set it to high and came out the menu - there was the heated grip symbol on the screen, so sure it was set.

Checked the fuses (behind rh side panel) and they were ok, darn it.

Found the connections, again on the rhs above the engine. They were plugged in but could reach to unplug them and look at the connections, but as they're both not working a connection issue is less likely.

I'm wondering if maybe the ambient temp is above a certain figure they won't come on or something like that? Grasping at straws now :(

I wont be needing them for a good few months (springtime over here), so there's no panic, but it bothers me when something doesnt work!

Thanks for the thoughts so far,

L

Ninja

You make no mention of trying Wayne's suggestion in your last post. Did you run the bike with the heated grips set on L-M-or-H? Turn them on while riding.
My buddy's 2010 Stelvio does not allow entry into the grip control menu while the bike is moving. He's asked other stelvio owners, apparently that's the only year with that condition.

Rafael said:
Ninja

You make no mention of trying Wayne's suggestion in your last post. Did you run the bike with the heated grips set on L-M-or-H? Turn them on while riding.
My buddy's 2010 Stelvio does not allow entry into the grip control menu while the bike is moving. He's asked other stelvio owners, apparently that's the only year with that condition.

Everything prior to 2013 required you to be stopped or you couldn't access the menu. It is annoying.

Hi Guys, yes, sorry - set the grips with the bike stationary, engine off I think, then went for a ride. Tried on max and min settings.

Ninja said:
I'm wondering if maybe the ambient temp is above a certain figure they won't come on or something like that? Grasping at straws now :(

They don't care what the outdoor temp is.

Also, if they are factory grips, you should be able to touch a meter to the terminals at the grips. Those are usually accessible.

Ninja said:
Hi Guys, yes, sorry - set the grips with the bike stationary, engine off I think, then went for a ride. Tried on max and min settings.

Ninja, try it with the bike in neutral but with the engine running. I have never tried activating my grips with the engine turned off. Also, don't expect blistering heat from the factory heated grips. They will become lukewarm, but that is about the best you can expect.

Bruce

I'll try and look for the contacts on the grips and get the multimeter on them, and then get a meter on the connectors and go from there,

Cheers

L

Well, a couple of developments:

1) Set the grips with the engine running, rather than just ignition on, and hey presto - a working grip!

2) Notice I said 'grip', not 'grips'. The rhs one works, but the lhs doesnt. Got a multimeter on the contacts and no volts :( Couldnt quite reach the connectors above the rhs cylinder to probe/wiggle there, but managed to shoot some ACF50 at it.

I know the lhs will take longer to warm up due to it being directly on the bars.

I doubt it is the connection, so might have a problem :( Will try and reach the connectors but looks like stripping bodywork off.

Just an update - the left hand grip has worked, once and the Rhs does most of the time but didn't this evening (not that I needed it at 14degC!)

So, something intermittent. Will check continuity properly when I get the bodywork off (how??!!) if I can stop riding the thing for a little while.

I was getting a steady 10ohms across the lhs grip (maybe a fault will show up with some wire wiggling but ran out of hands) making it 14W which is a little lower than I expected but in the right ballpark.

Cheers

L

Back