Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

heavy lucas starter on V75...

Discussion in 'Small Block' started by redwitch, Oct 7, 2018.

1. redwitch

redwitch Tuned and Synch'ed

hi everybody.
    My rebuilt V75 is now on the road, and I think of some improvements for the winter workshop sessions.... I want to lighten the whole machine a bit. the Lucas starter is horribly heavy, and I wonder if an alternate model , would be available? If somebody has made a swap for a lighter " click and run " unit, I would like to know what kind of stuff is good for these machines. ( actually, same as V50's and V65's )
    thanks for tips. regards. Hervé.

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

The Valeo as used on newer models is a bolt on replacement.

3. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Even lighter when the magnets fall off.

4. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

Never had a lick of trouble with my early '90s Valeo starters, both of them adapted to older bikes (LeMans V and 850T). They weighed about half what the original Bosch starters on those bikes weighed and delivered much more consistent starting performance.

That said, I recall there was a run of them that would fling their magnets in the middle and later '90s. Manufacturing defect.

I seem to recall also that there are various outfits now offering modern starters (made by Mitsubishi and others) for older Moto Guzzi models. Do a search for "modern starter for Moto Guzzi V75" and you'll get a few pages of links from that. :)

5. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Here is the after marked starter I recommend. Rick Jones makes good ones. http://www.motoelekt.com/starter.htm

6. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

All of the Guzzi Valeo's have been superseded to a $303 'Made in China' version used on all of the newer models.
    I can get the Valeo for $189 or a U.S. clone for $119 -- write me direct email if interested; Todd at GuzziTech.com